Why is a Strike Quite Possible?

anonymous23456

Let me ask you all a question. Why didn't the Union get together with management before UPS went public and make it an employees owned private company? Selling stocks on Wall Street makes a lot of people rich.

DELACROIX

In the Spirit of Honore' Daumier
Let me ask you all a question. Why didn't the Union get together with management before UPS went public and make it an employees owned private company? Selling stocks on Wall Street makes a lot of people rich.

Obvious answer: Greed…

It did make some senior managers millionaires… Union Grunts were just an obstacle to prevent them from getting more UPS stock…Sharing was never an option…

rod

Retired 22 years
Obvious answer: Greed…

It did make some senior managers millionaires… Union Grunts were just an obstacle to prevent them from getting more UPS stock…Sharing was never an option…
It made more than some senior management millionaires----it also made a lot of Center Managers millionaires. Their yearly bonus was always Company Stock. Our center manager at the time retired to the good life.

Thebrownblob

It made more than some senior management millionaires----it also made a lot of Center Managers millionaires. Their yearly bonus was always Company Stock. Our center manager at the time retired to the good life.
Yep one day they were there and the next day they were gone

Pullman Brown

Perhaps but we will be right back in the situation in just a few months. Possibly even worse. If the company is unwilling to negotiate some of the key items now like PVd and 22,4 I don’t think waiting a year will help.

I know this is reading between the lines but, when she said that the company and union weren’t far apart, things needed to be tweaked a little, I assumed that tweaking included keeping 22.4’s and PVDs. Are they taking a hard stance on that?

Thebrownblob

I know this is reading between the lines but, when she said that the company and union weren’t far apart, things needed to be tweaked a little, I assumed that tweaking included keeping 22.4’s and PVDs. Are they taking a hard stance on that?
I’m gonna bet they’re more willing to move on the 22.4 then the PVD.

BrownFlush

Woke Racist Reigning Ban King
If you were a company that ships packages and said companies employees/ administration who were able to buy stock and had stock in UPS, would you ship FedX or UPS?

BrownFlush

Woke Racist Reigning Ban King
And hopefully you too.
Back then, hourly could purchase stock at a 10% market discount through payroll deductions.
Management got theirs through the MIP annual bonus which was PART of their compensation package.
Most hourly probably shrugged it off because they had to pay.
Not me.
When the stock went public at $65, that was an immediate triple. I held for about 15 years before selling all about $95.
While stock paid decent dividends all those years, it didn't have much capital appreciation during that time frame. But it's done pretty well the last 5 years or so.
I guess my point....plan ahead, whatever your trade. One must see the forest AND the trees.
I did not shrug off the opportunity.
I was right at 20 years when I began to beg, borrow, and steal from family and friends and bought all I could with all I had.
It did make me rich. 10 years later, I retired even wealthier.
Never did 401K. Nothing but UPS stock. As I look back, the forest was all virgin timber. I was lucky to be where I was, when I was, and do what I did.

Last edited: