Why is a Strike Quite Possible?

qdg2

the company hates 22.4's and wants to be rid of it, but yes i'm sure they'll still leverage it for concessions, who wouldn't
If true, why not get rid of them....NOW?

IF both sides hate them as seems to be.....

We have "by local agreement".........you don't think the Union would jump at the chance to fix this?

Except....it's peak.....

Thebrownblob

If true, why not get rid of them....NOW?

IF both sides hate them as seems to be.....

We have "by local agreement".........you don't think the Union would jump at the chance to fix this?

Except....it's peak.....
Mostly because it’s a bargaining chip for each side for different reasons.

qdg2

Mostly because it’s a bargaining chip for each side for different reasons.
So, the union would keep the "misery" in place for leverage?

Is that why things are the way they are? Inexplicable things like classification seniority?

Why, that would start to make sense......

"Yes, we know this hurts everyone......but......" Like selling cigarettes.......but we need the taxes...."

Saturdays and 6th punches(misery).......workers being used as chips.....

Thebrownblob

P

Is that why things are the way they are? Inexplicable things like classification seniority?

"Yes, we know this hurts everyone......but......" Like selling cigarettes.......but we need the taxes...."

can’t really change if a company is using it for a bargaining chip. And I wouldn’t call 22.4 misery. Perhaps unnecessary. Most of them here have gone RPCD faster than they would have without that article.

Six punch sucks but no one has been fired and no one will be for Saturdays only.

And I’m not sure what you mean by “the way they are”? By your own admission you make good money and are fairly satisfied and don’t even want the contract changed.

But as usual you wont miss an opportunity to be negative and bully people.

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman

22.4's were a teamster idea, so yeah

I GOT ONE MORE

Just my 3 cents here. O'Brien and staff should realize their are two parties. The truth lies somewhere in the middle.

If O'brien wants to punish the company, then all should realize they may be looking for a new job. A strike with company intent to break from the union would decimate UPS, but would not destroy it.
It would take a decade to come back, but without a union to deal with, the company would rebuild easily without $50/hr, pension contributions, insurance premiums, etc......

Their employee overhead would plummet and would be rebuilt without all the headaches and drama every 5 years.
The would become just like any other at-will employer.

Jobs, like the ones UPS has provided for decades, don't grow on trees. Try to find another with such benefits.
I worked there for 30 years, and thankful for the check direct deposited in my account each month.
Most, if not all, active employees don't think about their long distance future.
One day you will, maybe sooner than you think, if O'Brien is more than just talk.

And no, pretty sure my pension is safe, to a degree. In order for UPS to breakaway from the union.......there is a law requiring a buyout from an employer with active retirees to maintain some or all of their benefit (pension withdrawal liability.....ERISA Secs. 4203, 4205, 4211, 4216, 4219 and 4220), this would be a big number for UPS. But then they would be done with any more contributions and no help for active employees going forward.

O'Brien and UPS should hammer everything out before Aug 1, both sides require adults in the room. I hope O'Brien is just puffing his chest out and rattling the cage, but he needs to stop. Ron Carey took the UPS Teamsters into a strike in 1997 for two weeks. Teamsters who were there remember, UPS remembers more and learned from it.
Remember what you have, don't forget what you can lose.

What's wrong with reasonable bargaining from both sides, instead of this ridiculous posturing.
Both sides need to put themselves in the others shoes.
How would the Teamsters actually run a business?
How would UPS want to be rewarded as an employee?

Authorization to strike vote is done, it's out of the members hands now.
If I was an employee now, I'd be saving every conceivable dollar possible up to August 1.
Twenty-two (22) known paychecks left.
Make the best of it,
if it all works out......you will have learned how to save,
if it doesn't............. you will have bought time whilst you look for other employment.

Bottomline, I believe both sides should bargain with respect and in good faith.

Thebrownblob

Just my 3 cents here. O'Brien and staff should realize their are two parties. The truth lies somewhere in the middle.

If O'brien wants to punish the company, then all should realize they may be looking for a new job. A strike with company intent to break from the union would decimate UPS, but would not destroy it.
It would take a decade to come back, but without a union to deal with, the company would rebuild easily without $50/hr, pension contributions, insurance premiums, etc......

Their employee overhead would plummet and would be rebuilt without all the headaches and drama every 5 years.

Jobs, like the ones UPS has provided for decades, don't grow on trees. Try to find another with such benefits.
I worked there for 30 years, and thankful for the check direct deposited in my account each month.
Most, if not all, active employees don't think about their long distance future.
One day you will, maybe sooner than you think, if O'Brien is more than just talk.

And no, pretty sure my pension is safe, to a degree. In order for UPS to breakaway from the union.......there is a law requiring a buyout from an employer with active retirees to maintain some or all of their benefit (pension withdrawal liability.....ERISA Secs. 4203, 4205, 4211, 4216, 4219 and 4220), this would be a big number for UPS. But then they would be done with any more contributions and no help for active employees going forward.

O'Brien and UPS should hammer everything out before Aug 1, both sides require adults in the room. I hope O'Brien is just puffing his chest out and rattling the cage, but he needs to stop. Ron Carey took the UPS Teamsters into a strike in 1997 for two weeks. Teamsters who were there remember, UPS remembers more and learned from it.

What's wrong with reasonable bargaining from both sides, instead of this ridiculous posturing.

If I was an employee now, I'd be saving every conceivable dollar possible up to August 1, 22 known paychecks left.
Make the best of it,
if it doesn't............. you will have bought time whilst you look for other employment.

Didn’t you already post this? What are you talking about, Authorization to strike is already done? I must’ve missed The vote.

Who says both sides are not negotiating reasonably and in good faith?
People should learn to save. I definitely agree with that.

And I think I’ve already told you this jobs like UPS don’t grow on trees. They also are not given freely by the company it takes pushing from our side.

DELACROIX

In the Spirit of Honore' Daumier

If I was an employee now, I'd be saving every conceivable dollar possible up to August 1.
Twenty-two (22) known paychecks left.
Make the best of it,

Authorization to strike if needed has yet to be determined...each Contract for the most part one is taken..this 2023 one has even started yet...

Your pension is protected as you noted by ERISA law...you will always get your pension check even if we go on strike. That "CLOSED SHOP" option by the Company would open a pandora box of evils, especially come off the Pandemic and record profits...

Saving money and paying off debt is smart even if we were not in a contract year...

DELACROIX

In the Spirit of Honore' Daumier
Retired management.... hoping your benefits don't get cut anymore ?

Are you talking about the "Real Partners" in Atlanta, or the poor grunts (operations) that are in the trenches?

Medical coverage for the retiree's whether Union or Company are decided annually...Can see corporate gutting medical insurance for their retiree's present or in the future..or force them to work past age 65....

I GOT ONE MORE

Didn’t you already post this? What are you talking about, Authorization to strike is already done? I must’ve missed The vote.

Who says both sides are not negotiating reasonably and in good faith?
People should learn to save. I definitely agree with that.

And I think I’ve already told you this jobs like UPS don’t grow on trees. They also are not given freely by the company it takes pushing from our side.
That was 2 cents.....this one is 3 cents, and not the same.

I GOT ONE MORE

Yes, I was completely aware I would attract some push back.
That's ok.
And I thought the auth vote was already done. My bad, if it's not.
Again, best of luck to both sides.