Why not 8.0 hour list instead of 9.5?

TG43

If you could have an 8 hour list, why not a 6.5? How much are you willing to willing to give up in pay or benefits for a short day every day when the Company still has a business to run?

I'm all for rallying against excessive overtime. But let's also try and keep things like the cost just to roll the trucks in mind too.

Ok. Why not make it 11 hours minimum then? Hell let's go 14 a day.

8 because that's pretty much the U.S. standard.

TG43

So, essentially like two-tiered drivers?

I see what you're saying actually. But no. To make it simple for argument sake....if you worked 8 hours every day except one day in the month you work 9...you grieve it and win....you agree on a day you will get a 7 hour dispatch. I think you'd have to get paid for 8 that day for it to work, as penalty to the company.

Of course it would never really be 8 hours. In ups land that's 8.5. I'd even accept 9 lol.
We make too much to work only 8 hours per day. What happens if UPS gives all of us 8 hour days?
They have to buy tens of thousands of new trucks. They have to increase the size of buildings. Hire more management. And pay for benefits for 10's of thousands of new drivers.

You have a good point. I don't know the math beind it....I don't know where 6 billion minus the cost of a few thousand trucks puts there bottom line. Is it 5.9 1/2 billion or bankruptcy..don't know.

Box Ox

Ok. Why not make it 11 hours minimum then? Hell let's go 14 a day.

8 because that's pretty much the U.S. standard.

9.5 was negotiated because it strikes a reasonable balance between the needs of the Company and the needs of the driver. Just because I believe 8 hour days aren’t reasonable doesn’t mean I think 11-14 hour days are.

8 hour days are standard in the US because most workers can punch in and get right to work. Whereas for me, an hour of my on the clock day is spent traveling between my center and delivery area. Which, in an 8 hour day would leave 6 hours for delivery after my lunch.

So I guess the question for me would be: Could the Company provide the resources, infrastructure, and pay and benefits to everyone if a vast number of drivers, including top rate drivers, are only touching cardboard for 6 to 6.5 hours a day year round?

TG43

8 hour days are standard in the US because most workers can punch in and get right to work. Whereas for me, an hour of my on the clock day is spent traveling between my center and delivery area. Which, in an 8 hour day would leave 6 hours for delivery after my lunch.
I see what your saying. If that's how the company sees it, I don't agree of course. I don't consider drive-time as not working... actually I think it's the part of the day that requires the most focus. It's far easier to kill someone during that time than when we're delivering packages. I would think many thousands of truck drivers a day travel and only make a few stops in a full day.

Dragon

Package Center Manager
Why can't we have an 8 hour list as package car drivers instead of 9.5? 9.5 puts us here clocking out at 7:15. At that point it's like who cares, we might as well stay out til 8 or 9 at night since our evening is ruined at that point anyways. 8 hours would put us clocking out at 5:45 here. That's still late! But manageable.

this is one of those drivers who only signed up to work 3 days a week...does not have time for a 40 hour work week due to social media obligations....Also mom needs him home for dinner at 5pm.

GenericUsername

10's of thousands of drivers. Lmao

Here all you'd have to do is put the idle trucks and laid off drivers on the road.

We have about 20 trucks sitting on the fence right now and about a dozen in bays that are being unused right now. There's 15 or so people inside right now that are capable of driving who are just twiddling their thumbs after preload. You don't think that those guys would go out for 4 hours each in one of the other cars and knock out some stuff? Hell, I did 190 stops today. I'd happily give one of those guys 40 stops and code 5 for the day.

JL 0513

Why can't we have an 8 hour list as package car drivers instead of 9.5? 9.5 puts us here clocking out at 7:15. At that point it's like who cares, we might as well stay out til 8 or 9 at night since our evening is ruined at that point anyways. 8 hours would put us clocking out at 5:45 here. That's still late! But manageable.

Even if UPS wanted to do standard 8 hour days, the nature of the job as well as the 8 hr guarantee means that on average, driver's must be dispatched enough to be sure they're out for over 8 hrs otherwise risk constantly paying guarantees to guys finishing in less than 8 hrs.

You can't compare package car driving to a 9-5 punch. Most jobs you punch in, immediately start doing your tasks, and then punch out as soon as the clock strikes your scheduled finish regardless of what you're in the middle of give or take a few minutes. Either someone else takes over, or you continue your work the next day.

Since our job is made up of estimated time studies and countless variables including the fact that every driver performs differently, it's impossible to give us consistent 8 hr days. Even on an 8 hr request and dispatch, how often do you punch out right at 8 hrs? Could end up 7, could end up 9 hrs.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
We have about 20 trucks sitting on the fence right now and about a dozen in bays that are being unused right now. There's 15 or so people inside right now that are capable of driving who are just twiddling their thumbs after preload. You don't think that those guys would go out for 4 hours each in one of the other cars and knock out some stuff? Hell, I did 190 stops today. I'd happily give one of those guys 40 stops and code 5 for the day.

Package work is for Full time drivers

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Even if UPS wanted to do standard 8 hour days, the nature of the job as well as the 8 hr guarantee means that on average, driver's must be dispatched enough to be sure they're out for over 8 hrs otherwise risk constantly paying guarantees to guys finishing in less than 8 hrs.

You can't compare package car driving to a 9-5 punch. Most jobs you punch in, immediately start doing your tasks, and then punch out as soon as the clock strikes your scheduled finish regardless of what you're in the middle of give or take a few minutes. Either someone else takes over, or you continue your work the next day.

Since our job is made up of estimated time studies and countless variables including the fact that every driver performs differently, it's impossible to give us consistent 8 hr days. Even on an 8 hr request and dispatch, how often do you punch out right at 8 hrs? Could end up 7, could end up 9 hrs.

Might end up 7 but if it’s an 8 hour day damn sure won’t be 9

TG43

Good points.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Typical management :censored2:bag. Ya you know me. :censored2:
Please don't thwart the censor controls.

From the Terms Of Service (TOS)

4. THWART LANGUAGE FILTERS. Using spaces between letters, strange characters or misspellings to get around the language filters to post filtered words is annoying. Your vocabulary is bigger than that. Curse words are not okay. We know you know what that means.

PizzaToUps

Ups cuts so many god-damn routes that we have a ton of trucks chilling in the yard meanwhile the drivers are out to 9-10 PM. Use those extra :censored2:ing trucks that way we can be done by 6-7

Maple Grove MN Driver

Cocaine Mang!
this is one of those drivers who only signed up to work 3 days a week...does not have time for a 40 hour work week due to social media obligations....Also mom needs him home for dinner at 5pm.
Another example of Classy Management.
You are the enemy.
You will be vanquished during the Strike.