Why would part timers stay in union?

Time for change

Clearly the IBT has betrayed current part timers. I’ve always been pro union but if they betray us, why stay? Management can’t afford to lose people as they can’t even get enough workers and keep them, so not worried at all about being terminated for no reason. I want to be part of the union and pay my share towards it, but not a union that has not negotiated with current part timers in mind that want/need to stay part time. I hope if there is no catch up raise for current part timers, the union gets totally screwed by that and the anger of giving more to people that have not worked a day for the company over those with many years of service becomes their undoing. We matter too

542thruNthru

Clearly the IBT has betrayed current part timers. I’ve always been pro union but if they betray us, why stay? Management can’t afford to lose people as they can’t even get enough workers and keep them, so not worried at all about being terminated for no reason. I want to be part of the union and pay my share towards it, but not a union that has not negotiated with current part timers in mind that want/need to stay part time. I hope if there is no catch up raise for current part timers, the union gets totally screwed by that and the anger of giving more to people that have not worked a day for the company over those with many years of service becomes their undoing. We matter too

I'm curious. How long have you been working here?

Days

The contract does nothing for current part timers. I don't think they lied as much as they ignored our concerns. I don't think current part timers could care less about what the new hires are making. Not sure why all negotiations on behalf of part timers went towards something none of them care about. Raising the starting wage by 5.50 and not giving any kind of catch up to current part timers actually made it worse. I'd rather keep the old contract

I read an old thread that was describing what the negotiating was like between company and Ibt and it made sense.....when you know your enemy is making a big mistake you just keep your mouth shut and let them make the mistake. It was funny......but kinda sad.

542thruNthru

So you want out of the Union and everyone else to follow if you don't get a better contract? Do you feel that will help you in the long run?

Days

I read an old thread that was describing what the negotiating was like between company and Ibt and it made sense.....when you know your enemy is making a big mistake you just keep your mouth shut and let them make the mistake. It was funny......but kinda sad.

Ya I guess. To answer the OP, we stand by the union because without the union we probably wouldn't get breaks or overtime pay.

Time for change

Yes potentially, the union needs to know they can’t overlook current part timers and just collect our dues. We are being taken advantage of with no recourse and it has gone on too long. Ideally they would negotiate in a manner that we would all want to stay, but until then the IBT should be put on notice and they will notice if their dues are hurt substantially.

542thruNthru

Yes potentially, the union needs to know they can’t overlook current part timers and just collect our dues. We are being taken advantage of with no recourse and it has gone on too long. Ideally they would negotiate in a manner that we would all want to stay, but until then the IBT should be put on notice and they will notice if their dues are hurt substantially.

So enough people do this and we end up with a weak union or no union at all. How do you see your benefits looking? Yes you may not lose your job like you pointed out but being a single mother of 2 I'd imagine healthcare is huge. I'd also imagine those raises you are getting will become even worse.

How about you try getting involved?

Days

Lol "get involved" so that maybe 5 years down the line you can maybe get a better contract maybe. The time to say something is now, the time to vote no is now.

542thruNthru

Lol "get involved" so that maybe 5 years down the line you can maybe get a better contract maybe. The time to say something is now, the time to vote no is now.

I agree. Vote No if you do not like the contract. I agree to voice your opinion.

What I don't agree with is hurting the Union as a whole by refusing to pay union dues and enjoying the benefits that others who do, get.

Time for change

Absolutely, I’d much rather be part of the union. What is boils down to is a 30 year part time person is within a few dollars of a full scale driver and most of us at 30 years won’t be within $10-12 of a full scale driver. For what, 20 years? the starting rate wasn’t changed so those hired in that period really got screwed. And now they want to give huge raise to someone that hasn’t even started yet and not those of us who have put in our time? It’s just been too slanted towards full time workers. And at $40 an hour and an accident away from losing it all, we know who isn’t going to leave the union. I’ve tried to explain this to my BA for years and was always told what I want to hear, but not once has it been addressed in a contract. So I’m fed up.

542thruNthru

Absolutely, I’d much rather be part of the union. What is boils down to is a 30 year part time person is within a few dollars of a full scale driver and most of us at 30 years won’t be within $10-12 of a full scale driver. For what, 20 years? the starting rate wasn’t changed so those hired in that period really got screwed. And now they want to give huge raise to someone that hasn’t even started yet and not those of us who have put in our time? It’s just been too slanted towards full time workers. And at $40 an hour and an accident away from losing it all, we know who isn’t going to leave the union. I’ve tried to explain this to my BA for years and was always told what I want to hear, but not once has it been addressed in a contract. So I’m fed up.

The problem is and always will be that newer PT workers do not vote. Yes the ones that have been there a while will but just like the drivers half of them probably don't vote either.

Hard to get what you want when you have a small voice. Getting the PT teamsters involved is a very tough job. Most imagine they won't be working there long so they don't bother. Most in here agree with you that PT employees should be paid better.

Time for change

But somehow we hear about tiers and for full time being the undoing of the union and how awful they are and look at the tiers we have had as part timers. How about never hitting full scale? 10, 20, 30 years in and we won’t hit full scale.

Time for change

But somehow we hear about tiers and for full time being the undoing of the union and how awful they are and look at the tiers we have had as part timers. How about never hitting full scale? 10, 20, 30 years in and we won’t hit full scale.

542thruNthru

PT was always meant to be a stepping stone to FT. People were not meant to be PT for 10, 15, 20 years. That's why they created 22.3 jobs.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star

You may want to look into the differences between progression, cost of living raises, and the two tier ground driving pay system the union came up with.