Will UPS Bend Hoffa Over like in 2013?

F

Frankie's Friend

They aren't losing 70% of the ballots being returned.

They worked OK, when we voted for strike authorization in 97.
More than 70% of the ballots never get returned. Do you mean 70% of the 18%? Getting them returned in a timely manner is the other issue.

ski or die

Ski or Die
if the ba knew thst he or she would bw in serious trouble then why did the ba go back to their crooked ways? i dont get it.
He originally was our steward. Many questionable determinations on grievances while in that position. He then appointed his friend as replacement when he became BA who would follow his same pattern. When his friend retired, we petitioned for election of steward which I won. The company always carried the BA on our seniority list. When he lost his position over the employee complaint, there was another huge issue concerning his ties with the company. Another employee provided the evidence. It was rock solid. It was the main factor in his dismissal.

F

Frankie's Friend

He originally was our steward. Many questionable determinations on grievances while in that position. He then appointed his friend as replacement when he became BA who would follow his same pattern. When his friend retired, we petitioned for election of steward which I won. The company always carried the BA on our seniority list. When he lost his position over the employee complaint, there was another huge issue concerning his ties with the company. Another employee provided the evidence. It was rock solid. It was the main factor in his dismissal.
Another point of sales for RTW and TDU. Ridiculous. Glad you fought for truth.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
I am afraid online would be a total debacle
And, what would be the cost involved to set it up and assure security ?
How far away is the mailbox.... a few feet ?
Depending on what type of mainframe infrastructure that is already in place that would have to be upgraded, coupled with the software and security upgrades necessary to ensure a legitimate election, I would figure the cost to be large initially and fairly low for every subsequent event....

....so it may be a prudent investment.
The reliability of the postal service is pathetic. Proven over and over.
They aren't losing 70% of the ballots being returned.
No they aren't losing 70%, but 70% aren't being returned in the first place?
Perhaps an electronic election would increase participation???

Once upon a time we didn't have mail referendums either, instead having to go to the local union hall to vote on these things.

Times have changed since then, and they're changing again, if time doesn't pass us by first.....????
hey worked OK, when we voted for strike authorization in 97.
Yea, and I also had to go to the bank to cash or deposit my paycheck every week in 1997.
I had to write checks and mail them to my creditors also in 1997.
It wasn't until shortly after 1997, that it became commonplace to file our taxes electronically, instead mailing them in paper form.

It may be time to relinquish the status quo, before the Teamsters become part of the fossil records of this nation's history?

twoweeled

On a grievance alleging a contract violation ?

Or, a discharge ?

There is an inherent difference, between the two.

Was the grievance an actual contract violation, or a complaint ?

Was the discharge a clear violation, and you were asking for mercy ?

Saying there was some sort of palatable feeling about the outcome....

That seems kind of psychic. Or, you knew it wasn't a strong case to begin with.

Not all cases are equal.

That's why they are judged on their merits.

-Bug-

In my case, both. Mainly when a BA was present. Also started happening with Stewards toward the last few years. I don't think the Stewards had the (unspoken) authority in many years past? But it seems some locals were trying to cut back on workload along with cutting back on the number of BA's on the payrolls (my guess). Stewards started making the deals/decisions with management (with grievances) much more often. Many years past, there have been agreements reached between a stewart and management on smaller issues. Most times the driver was present and in on the agreement. Very transparent. Not now!

The discharges were "a clear violation" from the perspective of management. I'm not sure how to answer that one. I find it difficult to believe you never felt the climate in the air. Maybe sometimes change from trivial to very serious and vice versa.
I've never met you, and I'm feeling you've been in a few of these meetings yourself. Am I psychic?
Sometimes it was a weak case to begin with. Other times no. When the the Labor manager is there, of course it's more serious, generally speaking. The questions ask generally show where his going, but some of these manager are real good at beating around the bush attempting to mask where they are really going. But at times the labor manager will be there just to put the scare in you. Sometimes the deal is "somewhat" reached before you enter, if the majority of facts are known and they really don't want to fire you, but scare you. Other times they'll decide what your fate will be, after you've divulged enough facts for the manager to estimate the seriousness of your acts. So many variables.
But there are definitely times when you know, The decisions have already been made. You don't have to go with their decisions, but they generally feel they are being fair in what they've decided (accurate or not). You wanna rock that boat, it could get a bit more personal.
Undoubtedly, all cases are not equal and you do not always get a feeling. More often than not, it's just the normal steps. Blah blah blah blah. Everyone does what they have to do, adios out the door!

twoweeled

I have never slammed a vehicle into a dock so hard to even crack a spring much less break off the whole bumper. I think that guy banged his head earlier in life before his accident. He was pretty arrogant in nature....that is until he wrecked the truck.
I wish I could tell a story about when I had a rider with me. Pretty funny from my perspective. I think it's best I don't. That raised hair on a few backs.

Tony Q

Yeah...

That's tough, marking a ballot and putting it in a prepaid envelope.
I understand what you mean, but with this newer apathetic generation we might need to do something outside the box to encourage involvement. I like dinosaur's very much, but I don't want to become one. Unions are a dying breed. It is easy to dismiss the lazy member who won't vote, go to union meetings, and file grievances. The hard part is to get them involved in being part if the solution.

brown_trousers

I understand what you mean, but with this newer apathetic generation we might need to do something outside the box to encourage involvement. I like dinosaur's very much, but I don't want to become one. Unions are a dying breed. It is easy to dismiss the lazy member who won't vote, go to union meetings, and file grievances. The hard part is to get them involved in being part if the solution.

I agree completely. More and more states become RTW every decade. In fact, I dont think ANY states go the opposite way, and remove the RTW laws. Its a pretty safe bet that eventually the whole nation will become RTW. So if we still want to be a union 20 years from now, we need to prepare for a time when being a teamster here at UPS is a choice. We need to engage members, keep them informed and involved.

wide load

Starting wage is a waste of time.
I agree completely. More and more states become RTW every decade. In fact, I dont think ANY states go the opposite way, and remove the RTW laws. Its a pretty safe bet that eventually the whole nation will become RTW. So if we still want to be a union 20 years from now, we need to prepare for a time when being a teamster here at UPS is a choice. We need to engage members, keep them informed and involved.
The choice is “Join or good luck finding your car.”

babboo25

Banned
The only problem is members not notifying the Local of an address change.

Or, even contacting the Local when they don't get one.

And, what would be the cost involved to set it up and assure security ?

How far away is the mailbox.... a few feet ?

-Bug-
What’s it cost to mail out 250,000 ballots round trip? Half of which won’t get mailed back anyway.

Tony Q

Great point on right to work, no states ever go back. One point I can offer on the states that aren't right to work yet, states that aren't right to work are against right to work. The more right to work states there are the competition right to work, steal, freeload, have. we know big business doesn't want to compete with states with lower wages.