Would you consider this to be corporal punishment?

Would you consider this to be corporal punishment?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

moreluck

golden ticket member
It seems like the yesses & nos are switched from when I voted. I voted same as cheryl and it seems our votes were on the bottom and I noticed Upstate was on the top.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
They way I've always seen it, if you get to the point where the only solution you have is beating your child then you're the one who failed and now the child is paying for your failure. Some people just shouldn't have children.

UPS Lifer

so who will be the first " no opinion " ?

I guess that would be me... but not because I have no opinion. It is because, as trp stated - was this set up by the daughter to enrage her father??? The video does not tell the whole story. How defiant is she on a regular basis? Does the father discipline like this on a regular basis? What transpired before the tape that we do not know about?

I grew up with a nice strapping including welts on my backside when I was bad. Somehow I new that my dad loved me and was just trying to punish me for doing something wrong. Usually, it was something that was disrespectful. As a parent, I practiced what I learned.

In today's day and age, I would use other approaches with my children. Each child is different and disicipline needs to be tailored to what works best for each one.

I have the perfect reply but this is a family website so I will keep it clean.
Dave I sure don't understand your snarkieness here, at all. More wasn't knocking you. just stating that the votes didn't seem to be in the same places as before. I don't remember where any of the votes were when I first voted but she might.

I think the wording of the poll is pretty clear but it seems to me that a couple of the posters votes don't coincide with what they have posted. That is my confusion. I'm not trying to say anyone is being disingenuous in anyway.

Can you reword your reply to a PG rating?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Dave I sure don't understand your snarkieness here, at all. More wasn't knocking you. just stating that the votes didn't seem to be in the same places as before. I don't remember where any of the votes were when I first voted but she might.

I think the wording of the poll is pretty clear but it seems to me that a couple of the posters votes don't coincide with what they have posted. That is my confusion. I'm not trying to say anyone is being disingenuous in anyway.

Can you reword your reply to a PG rating?

You are reading way too much in what I wrote. The reply that I had in mind was a play on the top/bottom and was sexual in nature.

They way I've always seen it, if you get to the point where the only solution you have is beating your child then you're the one who failed and now the child is paying for your failure. Some people just shouldn't have children.

If I were grading you on this post I would give you an "A" for simplicity but a "D" on completeness and clarity. The task, yes it is a task, of rearing children is just not that simple. There are so many factors that go into discipline of a child that one size can not fit all.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

If I were grading you on this post I would give you an "A" for simplicity but a "D" on completeness and clarity. The task, yes it is a task, of rearing children is just not that simple. There are so many factors that go into discipline of a child that one size can not fit all.

The task of rearing a child in today's world is perhaps the toughest that it has ever been. Life was so much simpler when my children were growing up and even simpler when I was growing up. The methods my parents used to discipline me were no longer acceptable when it came time for my ex and I to discipline our kids. The methods we used would be called "old school" by today's parents, who would rather be their kids' friends than parents. Also, the advent of social networks and today's technology make it that much more difficult to keep kids in line. Finally, the sad reality is that many of our children grow up in single parent homes and are often left to fend for themselves.

Kids know what buttons to push and just how far they can push them. The daughter clearly baited her father who then clearly overreacted. I consider myself to be "old school" but I would never have thought of using a belt to discipline my 15 yr old daughter.