Would You Forego Raise In Exchange With Being Treated Better?

laffter

In Study after study the majority of people would say yes. the only people who disagree work for companies that treat their people well to begin with.

this may be a loaded question but I would be interested in hearing from the herd.

would you forego your next raise in exchange with being treated with courtesy and respect from your immediate supervisors?

I think the people who say yes to something like this haven't really thought it through. This [fantastical] idea is nice, but everyone has their own thoughts on what being treated better might mean. For something like this to become reality, there would have to be set guidelines governing the behavior and actions of management. Those guidelines would likely be up for interpretation, which may nullify the whole plan (and you'd still be losing the raise).

I remember reading something in the previous national contract (I assume it's still in the current) about management and hourlies treating each other with respect. That's not the wording of it, but that's the idea I got from it. It was one or two sentences, very vague and up for interpretation. How's that working out?

oldngray

nowhere special
Do you mean being treated like a $10/hr PTer? That kind of respect?
12.jpg

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I remember this question in college, and I was befuddled, everyone disagreed with me. I did not yet work for UPS, but I did work. And they told me, and tried to drill it in my head that recognition, and respect were worth more than the dollar. I said then and say now, they should not be one or the other, but if it were, Im here to make money not friends. I have enough people who love and respect me, I am here to make money.
I also didnt go along with all the other brainwashing that took place either.

Packmule

I will stay true to my position when contract proposal meetings were being held.
YES. I flat out told the union business agent here top pay seniority drivers do not need a raise. We need to feel like we are not being set up to fail every day we show up so they can get rid of us. Your method training only works so well and then it becomes nothing more than documentation used for termination.
Younger guys in progression I'm all for your raises. But you won't stay young forever and they'll have a bullseye on your back long before you are ready to retire. Usually about the time you get really settled into a bid route.

PASinterference

Yes, I know I'm working late.
It would be hard to say. In order to be treated better, they would have to fire all current mgmt and couldnt even promote hourlies exposed to current mgmt. This brings up a discussion some of my coworkers had a few years back...Are we paid well because we are treated like crap or are we treated like crap because we are paid well?

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I will stay true to my position when contract proposal meetings were being held.
YES. I flat out told the union business agent here top pay seniority drivers do not need a raise. We need to feel like we are not being set up to fail every day we show up so they can get rid of us. Your method training only works so well and then it becomes nothing more than documentation used for termination.
Younger guys in progression I'm all for your raises. But you won't stay young forever and they'll have a bullseye on your back long before you are ready to retire. Usually about the time you get really settled into a bid route.
But that will never happen, so take the money, slough it off.

Packmule

If the union had the fortitude to fight for it and were actually listening to drivers ideas,it could. Examples:
One needs only sign on for hours control rather than file, then fines kick in on the first day you are over.
Eliminate out of sight out of weather language on driver release.
Eliminate company's ability to charge any driver with an accident that by law would be not their fault.
Eliminate any fault for any accident that occurs when we are forced to work on days when travelers' advisories are in effect.
Just a few....