Car and Bike Talk

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
Funny point i have seen made is. The epa restrictions will mean far lower mpg. So is it really any different if you want to measure the pollution by miles driven per gallon of gas used?
Most newer diesel trucks will deliver way better mileage and power by installing a tuner that deprioritizes emissions calibration.

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
Oh, THAT one! Didn't know that was really considered a defect. I wouldn't take it in either. If forced, I would sell it and find one not subject to it if I still wanted one.

MAKAVELI

Oh, THAT one! Didn't know that was really considered a defect. I wouldn't take it in either.
It's illegal to modify the smog equipment/ electronics in any way. Like I said you would have no choice but to take it in for the recall or not be able to renew the registration.

rod

Retired 22 years
It's illegal to modify the smog equipment/ electronics in any way. Like I said you would have no choice but to take it in for the recall or not be able to renew the registration.

He could move to a place that don't have that mandatory testing crap. None of that BS here.

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
In California, (as far as renewal)maybe. My state barely does anything in the way of emissions testing apart from looking for fault codes. Many people routinely get away with defeating or removing the factory emissions equipment. I believe vehicles newer than 10 years are exempt from any testing.

MAKAVELI

He could move to a place that don't have that mandatory testing crap. None of that BS here.
If it's a federal recall, it wouldn't matter what state you live in. Besides it would be pretty stupid to move just because you wouldn't want the recall.

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
I'm guessing that would be most shops---as long as the get their cut---screw it.
If they have receipts for the work, the Dept of Ecology could theoretically come down on them like a ton of bricks. They can and do operate with Nazi-like efficiency when it comes to installers of "test pipes".

MAKAVELI

I'm guessing that would be most shops---as long as the get their cut---screw it.
These recalls are usually only done at a dealership with factory scan tools. Fines can be very expensive for any shop committing fraudulent smog repairs.

rod

Retired 22 years
I have it on good authority from the Washington Dept. of Ecology there will be no testing at all soon.

I always thought it looked like just another way to squeeze a few bucks out of the driving public. I know my daughter has had to have her Honda Odessy done every year since it was new (I think because she has a yearly sticker on her window).

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I always thought it looked like just another way to squeeze a few bucks out of the driving public. I know my daughter has had to have her Honda Odessy done every year since it was new (I think because she has a yearly sticker on her window).
In Missouri we had to get inspection every other year after a vehicle was more than 5 years old. Everyone knew the shops that thought inspections were bs and passed anyone.

Illinois no inspection but stickers cost a fortune every year.