Car and Bike Talk

rod

Retired 22 years
These recalls are usually only done at a dealership with factory scan tools. Fines can be very expensive for any shop committing fraudulent smog repairs.

Recalls I agree---I thought you were talking about these holes in the wall garages that are "authorized" inspection places.

MAKAVELI

Recalls I agree---I thought you were talking about these holes in the wall garages that are "authorized" inspection places.
The vw recall would require a dealership to do the required repair. As far as shops that fudge smog checks, there are less of those, at least in California. They really come down hard on those shops with fines, taking away licenses and even jail time for the worst offenders. It really isn't worth it these days to pass a car that should've failed.
On a side note, they don't have a tail pipe test for 2000 and newer vehicles in CA.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
The vw recall would require a dealership to do the required repair. As far as shops that fudge smog checks, there are less of those, at least in California. They really come down hard on those shops with fines, taking away licenses and even jail time for the worst offenders. It really isn't worth it these days to pass a car that should've failed.
On a side note, they don't have a tail pipe test for 2000 and newer vehicles in CA.
As if anyone needs any more reasons to not live there.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Is that all you got? Lame

I'm pretty sure if an owner doesn't take his car back for a recall that the Feds won't chase him down until it's done.

Plenty of Toyota owners ignored the recall to trim the accelerator pedal, and none of them are in jail.

Your assertion that the recall is mandatory is lame.

MAKAVELI

I'm pretty sure if an owner doesn't take his car back for a recall that the Feds won't chase him down until it's done.

Plenty of Toyota owners ignored the recall to trim the accelerator pedal, and none of them are in jail.

Your assertion that the recall is mandatory is lame.
They don't need to chase them down. I have had experience with my own car. The DMV will simply not issue a renewal for registration when your car has not had an emissions recall done.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
They don't need to chase them down. I have had experience with my own car. The DMV will simply not issue a renewal for registration when your car has not had an emissions recall done.

California DMV is not the Feds. You guys have your own set of problems. Don't generalize.

MAKAVELI

10.065 Emission Recall Program (H&SC §43009.5)

If a vehicle owner does not respond to a manufacturer's emission recall notice, registration of the vehicle cannot be completed until a Proof of Correction Certificate is submitted.

The correction certificate is obtained from an authorized dealership after the recall repairs are performed.

Vehicle Record Information

The emission recall information is contained in the vehicle record.When RCC 74 is present, the status message "Proof of Correction Required-Recall #XXXXXX" displays.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
10.065 Emission Recall Program (H&SC §43009.5)

If a vehicle owner does not respond to a manufacturer's emission recall notice, registration of the vehicle cannot be completed until a Proof of Correction Certificate is submitted.

The correction certificate is obtained from an authorized dealership after the recall repairs are performed.

Vehicle Record Information

The emission recall information is contained in the vehicle record.When RCC 74 is present, the status message "Proof of Correction Required-Recall #XXXXXX" displays.

Like I said, you guys in California have your own problems.