Did the 97' Strike affect any of you here?

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Some did cross, being promised likedouble pay for coming on in to work.
Of course those who crossed were fired after the strike, and had problems with their checks.
Anyone who did cross was an outcast and had no friends.
There were around 15,000 people who crossed the picket line.
I doubt any were fired for crossing the line.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
After the strike we got slapped. After the company went public we got back handed. It's been like that ever since.
I lump those two events together.
UPS had been considering going public for 15 years but the strike removed all stops.
To paraphrase Jim Kelley and Mike Eskew, "The concern about damaging employee relationships was removed and the concern about eroding the partner concept was not enough to keep from making the move to a public company."

I'm not sure UPS would have gone public if the 97 strike had not occurred.

PT Car Washer

UPS had been considering going public for 15 years but the strike removed all stops.
To paraphrase Jim Kelley and Mike Eskew, "The concern about damaging employee relationships was removed and the concern about eroding the partner concept was not enough to keep from making the move to a public company."

One more reason for UPS to force the strike? I am sure UPS did not calculate all the public support for the Union members.

Packmule

I did not support the strike then and certainly would not support one today.

The union claimed that the strike was about the part timers but it was clear that the strike was about the pensions, which, in hindsight, we should have let the company take over.

The one positive I took from the strike is just how fortunate I am to have a career which allows me to take care of my family while preparing for a secure retirement.

There are no (long term) winners in a strike.
Finally! Someone who doesn't have amnesia or a bad case of union spin.

oldngray

nowhere special
After the strike there definitely was pressure from corporate to nitpick and harass drivers mostly as acts of retribution. Only a couple of drivers in my building crossed the picket line and they both got fired for various reasons within a couple of years, When they screwed up the union didn't try very hard to defend them and the company conveniently forgot about how "loyal" they had been.

upschuck

You think this would be get more people on the company side, and more pressure on the union side to settle? Hourly had much more of the publics favorable opinion that did the company, but if they had skin in the game, might persuade them to the company side.

ski or die

Ski or Die
We knew of an employee that was crossing the picket line. The company would pick the employee up at another location and bring them across the line in the back of a pkg car. The very last grievance I processed before retiring was for this employee. I was able to win the grievance. That one was a tough one to fight for.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
the strike was a wake up call for our family. we realized that this job was not as secure as we thought. we changed our spending habits and started saving more.

actually it was the best thing for us. I will be retiring 6 years earlier .

MaceFremonti

Friend of mine had his 1st child a month or so before the strike. Very Christian, hard working, straight up guy. He had also just bought a new home for his quickly growing family. Money was becoming an issue for him and he had been talking to our center manager and HR dept about puttimg in his letter of interest to go into supervision. He was prerty sure he was going to be in management within a few weeks and he was very excited about the "promotion". But when the strike was called he was still in delivery. So he stood with his brothers out in front of our building.

He was on the line for the first two days then we saw him leaving in a package car the next morning. We all knew his situation and thought OK he made the jump to the darkside. That's fine. He ran a route everyday the rest of the strike.

However, first day back after the strike he comes out of the center manager's office with a very somber look on his face and heads towards his old package car.

All of us were saying WTF? We didn't think things were so tight that he decided to cross. He wasn't that rype of guy.

Come to find out UPS told him he should come in since he was almost in management and they would need supes post strike to get all the drivers back into the swing of things. So he had come in. Thinking, and being told, that he was essentially managment.

In the office that morning the center manager had told him, "Sorry, no management spots available anytime soon. You are still just a Service Provider."

The next year he filed the most grievances I have ever seen anyone file. Any type of contract violation he filed. He won them all.

He is still around, extremely hateful/distrustful towards management, and is probably the most pro Union guy that I know.

upschuck

Friend of mine had his 1st child a month or so before the strike. Very Christian, hard working, straight up guy. He had also just bought a new home for his quickly growing family. Money was becoming an issue for him and he had been talking to our center manager and HR dept about puttimg in his letter of interest to go into supervision. He was prerty sure he was going to be in management within a few weeks and he was very excited about the "promotion". But when the strike was called he was still in delivery. So he stood with his brothers out in front of our building.

He was on the line for the first two days then we saw him leaving in a package car the next morning. We all knew his situation and thought OK he made the jump to the darkside. That's fine. He ran a route everyday the rest of the strike.

However, first day back after the strike he comes out of the center manager's office with a very somber look on his face and heads towards his old package car.

All of us were saying WTF? We didn't think things were so tight that he decided to cross. He wasn't that rype of guy.

Come to find out UPS told him he should come in since he was almost in management and they would need supes post strike to get all the drivers back into the swing of things. So he had come in. Thinking, and being told, that he was essentially managment.

In the office that morning the center manager had told him, "Sorry, no management spots available anytime soon. You are still just a Service Provider."

The next year he filed the most grievances I have ever seen anyone file. Any type of contract violation he filed. He won them all.

He is still around, extremely hateful/distrustful towards management, and is probably the most pro Union guy that I know.
They make their own worst enemies.

Packmule

After the strike there definitely was pressure from corporate to nitpick and harass drivers mostly as acts of retribution. Only a couple of drivers in my building crossed the picket line and they both got fired for various reasons within a couple of years, When they screwed up the union didn't try very hard to defend them and the company conveniently forgot about how "loyal" they had been.
One of my biggest customers stayed with us because I crossed lines. Company gave me a $100 gift for retaining them. Eventually the Union politely asked me to rejoin. Today I have a better retirement than many and still deciding when to retire.
sometimes you just gotta read the writing on the wall and stand up for the truth.

Johney

One of my biggest customers stayed with us because I crossed lines. Company gave me a $100 gift for retaining them. Eventually the Union politely asked me to rejoin. Today I have a better retirement than many and still deciding when to retire.
sometimes you just gotta read the writing on the wall and stand up for the truth.
What did you do drive their packages to the post office for them?

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Oh bother not another scab

Catatonic

Nine Lives

They make their own worst enemies.
In this situation UPS or they (management you know) have almost no real power.
In this case, Corporate came down and said no new management, no traveling, no many, many things and people at the District level can do nothing but say, "Yes Sir" or these days "Yes Ma'am" including the District Manager.
I understand it is even worse these days ... or so says SoberUPS.

PS - UPS is not a person so it didn't say diddley ... I imagine the center manager said that.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
they say there are no winners in a strike but there was in this one. its obvious. one side methodically ate away at the other side and it continues to this day. ( got the big picture )

glad I wont be around much longer but im sure i'll pay in the future one way or another.

clean hairy

If I saw one who had crossed, and they approached me to say hi, I presented my back to them and would act as if they didn't exist.
Stab your Brothers and Sisters in the back, and you have the guts to think everything is fine and dandy?
These were some of the cheerleaders to strike, but were not intersted in supporting it.