Did the 97' Strike affect any of you here?

Certainly changed UPS in many ways and changed my job as well.
Before the strike, I was a Project Manager working on technology projects in the US and around the world.
After the strike, I think maybe 90% of the projects were canceled and/or pushed back.

The year before the strike, I was in the office 12 days in 14 months.
After the strike, I was out of office about 12 days in 14 months.
I hated traveling so that was a positive outcome.
The only good thing about the strike was I got to spend time with my dad. He came down to show support.

He died a month or so later.

Notretiredyet

Dont give a crap about a contract from the past, looking back is just wasting time. I spent days on the picket line with what have become some of my best friends. None of us had ever walked a picket line before or since. But when it was over we were brothers and sisters and that UPS has never been able to take from us and never will.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Most customers blamed the strike on UPS not the Teamster members. We had solid support for standing up to big brown and their last best offer. Take it of leave it. The strike was a victory for all working people in this country.
I don't think blame reflects reality.
I do think most individuals and small business customers and dock employees supported the UPS Driver in the strike.
I think it was a perceived victory for all working people but reality tells another story unfortunately.
The gap between lower paid workers and higher paid workers is greater now than in 1997.

JackStraw

I knocked about 8 strokes off my handicap. Took the 12am-4am shift on the picket line, went home and slept a few, then went and practiced my chipping and putting. So some good did come out of iit.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
We were paying a neighbor lady to watch the kids as my wife worked full time. I took over watching the kids and walked the picket line at night. We had a generator and watched the news. Deep fried a turkey. Was kind of fun. Wasn't worried about money. Father in law handed me 1k in an envelope and I gave it back untouched when the strike ended.

What'dyabringmetoday???

It wasn't bad here with UPSers.
The Teamsters brought in some rebel rouser thugs who raised a lot of hell and cussed and tried to start stuff.
They stuck out like sore thumbs - yellow teeth, long hair and nasty looking. I think most were brought in from the northeast.
Even the striking UPSers didn't like them or stand around them once the PC's or feeders rolled past.
You make me laugh.

PT Car Washer

Nobody crossed here.

A few wanted to, but thought better of it. No violence threatened, but the peer pressure really got to them.
The only Union members that crossed in my building were package car drivers. No PT crossed, not even pre seniority PT. Of course none of the pre seniority kept their jobs. Top seniority PT after the strike worked all the doubles they wanted and made more then FT drivers with OT after 5 hours. This went on for over a year.

clean hairy

Some did cross, being promised likedouble pay for coming on in to work.
Of course those who crossed were fired after the strike, and had problems with their checks.
Anyone who did cross was an outcast and had no friends.

wayfair

swollen member
Well I had to get another part time job since they got rid of the air department... man it sucked...
except after the surgery for my them wife, I save on contraceptives!!!! lol