Making us work Saturday... Thoughts?

I can get laid off after the 3 month probation period?
Anyone can be laid off. All goes by seniority. I have seen 25 year drivers laid off on Mondays because they cut their route. They have the right to bump another driver and run a route they have not ran for ten years and will be extra heavy because it is Monday and other routes were cut. What do you suppose a 90 day PTer is going to be treated?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I was told to come in to preload at 4am, and told I can't say no because I don't have seniority (hadn't passed probation period at the time). When I said that I have a weekend job and my shift starts at 5:30am, supervisor asked me what job was more important.

Hmm. :glare:

It was a valid question.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
What is coming, UPS overextending itself again and end up with more negative publicity because management didn't crack their whips hard enough? This year we might not even need a crippling snowstorm to prove a point, I can see a bad moon rising already.
Then blame the employees for not working hard enough.... And the company wants to know why everybody has a shty attitude

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
should we even go in? this is bs...
It would seem to me that the Union would have big meetings on this before every shift? Where are they? Hello?...

4bdb71a1-70a3-4137-82ad-1c619f01fcb9.jpg

PT Stewie

"Big Fella"
Because of the changing economy of the dotcom world UPS to keep business needs to work those days to keep our customers happy. If they schedule a shift it should be staffed by union people. The attitude of not me I am not going in will eventually kill the goose that laid the golden egg. I really don't feel sorry for the people being called in because I have worked under article 40 for the last 19 years and had to work every Black Friday, every Christmas Eve, and every New Years Eve for straight time. As a matter of fact I thank you because now that they schedule the whole sort on the holiday I finally get premium time (double in my supplement).Please go into work and enjoy the extra cash, maybe even order something on Amazon prime with the money,you will get it in two days! Peak will be over soon and management will be busting your chops to get off the clock.

Because of the changing economy of the dotcom world UPS to keep business needs to work those days to keep our customers happy. If they schedule a shift it should be staffed by union people. The attitude of not me I am not going in will eventually kill the goose that laid the golden egg. I really don't feel sorry for the people being called in because I have worked under article 40 for the last 19 years and had to work every Black Friday, every Christmas Eve, and every New Years Eve for straight time. As a matter of fact I thank you because now that they schedule the whole sort on the holiday I finally get premium time (double in my supplement).Please go into work and enjoy the extra cash, maybe even order something on Amazon prime with the money,you will get it in two days! Peak will be over soon and management will be busting your chops to get off the clock.
Biggest reason why myself and other air drivers take this week off. I have been working 6 days a week for years with out premium pay. Picking up ground packages on Saturday during December for air rate because the Union made a deal with the company.

542thruNthru

should we even go in? this is bs...

I'm in SD. Sorry to tell you this but you'll have to call out if you don't wanna show up. If you call out and they put you down for a occurrence make sure you are paid your sick time also. If they don't pay you sick time for the days, file!

browner89

So Black Friday we get 8 hours holiday pay plus however many hours we work?

As some have stated yes, FT will get 8hrs Holiday, plus hours worked, FT will get 4 hours Holiday, plus time worked.

In my supplement time worked on Black Friday is paid at double your hourly rate, so it is essentially triple time for the first 8/4 hours. Nice day to work around here.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

As some have stated yes, FT will get 8hrs Holiday, plus hours worked, FT will get 4 hours Holiday, plus time worked.

In my supplement time worked on Black Friday is paid at double your hourly rate, so it is essentially triple time for the first 8/4 hours. Nice day to work around here.

Overtime is not pyramided.