San Diego routes

overflowed

That's pretty much what I'm afraid of making such a large jump to live in a shoe box. I guess it's perspective as in live in a shoe box in amazing weather or own a home in the tundra I consider home.
I live in a city where we have the highest cost of living. You have to weigh what is important to you. Living in the city is important to me . Living space is not on the top of my list. So, to stay in the city I get a small functional space, that's cheaper. The people that want or need the space live in surrounding cities. One other important thing to consider when you do go to surrounding cities would be traffic in a metro area. Some of my friends spend an hour or an hour in a half in traffic to commute to what should be a 20 minute drive. Then you add in tolls, fuel, traffic, and vehicle maintenance. Was it worth it to save the money outside the city? So consider all these things before you make a decision on a place.

New Mexico is really boring. Arizona is a cool place to live. Lots of dirt bike riding and the river. Nevada has decent parts. Henderson is pretty cool lake las Vegas is fun.
I'll have to take this into consideration. A guy in my station now worked in Reno for almost 15 years and loved it.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

My daughter and SIL lived about 45 minutes west of the Raleigh/Durham area (Triad) in a beautiful 3 bedroom apt that they paid $800/month. That same place where they live now would be at least twice that. I went to visit them several times and love the area.

sandwich

The resident gearhead
I live in a city where we have the highest cost of living. You have to weigh what is important to you. Living in the city is important to me . Living space is not on the top of my list. So, to stay in the city I get a small functional space, that's cheaper. The people that want or need the space live in surrounding cities. One other important thing to consider when you do go to surrounding cities would be traffic in a metro area. Some of my friends spend an hour or an hour in a half in traffic to commute to what should be a 20 minute drive. Then you add in tolls, fuel, traffic, and vehicle maintenance. Was it worth it to save the money outside the city? So consider all these things before you make a decision on a place.
San Diego public transport is nothing like other major cities. California is very car culture and ill put money on it that any FedEx hub is just outside downtown san Diego. So living in the city and using public transportation to get to work is not possible.

sandwich

The resident gearhead
I'll have to take this into consideration. A guy in my station now worked in Reno for almost 15 years and loved it.
Reno is a very up and coming place. I think tesla moved there and the place is exploding with jobs at the moment. Lake Tahoe is right there and lake Tahoe is very cool. Reno would be a great choice.

Very helpful good advice appreciate your perspective gives me more insight on what to consider.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Reno is a very up and coming place. I think tesla moved there and the place is exploding with jobs at the moment. Lake Tahoe is right there and lake Tahoe is very cool. Reno would be a great choice.
Don't forget Ol road dog strips there
I mean dances
Gotta keep this pc

Reno and the state of Nevada sounds great. My heart isn't set on San Diego just my preference.

sandwich

The resident gearhead
Reno and the state of Nevada sounds great. My heart isn't set on San Diego just my preference.
I personally don't like most of San Diego. But I also don't surf. I like orange county much better. Ventura is amazing. Its north of Los angeles county. My dad lives in Ventura. Its cheaper there. Sleepy little beach town. Smaller population. Cooler climate. Big surf town if you wanna try surfing. Ventura is great. You could do ventura. Its one of the last beach towns in so cal that isn't completely built up and over priced.

MAKAVELI

Take a look at some of the smaller towns along the coast between SoCal and NorCal. Still expensive but none of the headaches that come with living in the metro areas. Santa Barbara and SLO are beautiful college towns, have near perfect weather and laid back.

sandwich

The resident gearhead
Take a look at some of the smaller towns along the coast between SoCal and NorCal. Still expensive but none of the headaches that come with living in the metro areas. Santa Barbara and SLO are beautiful college towns, have near perfect weather and laid back.
They are also very very expensive though and close enough to Ventura that Ventura would be a better choice for cost of living. Santa Barbara is so expensive that the majority of people who work there commute all the way there from Ventura. That's a terrible commute with traffic. 2 or more hours.

MAKAVELI

They are also very very expensive though and close enough to Ventura that Ventura would be a better choice for cost of living. Santa Barbara is so expensive that the majority of people who work there commute all the way there from Ventura. That's a terrible commute with traffic. 2 or more hours.
It can be done. Just depends on how motivated one is.

Express Courier

I'd be all over that rural route you seem to hate. Heavy routes will break your body down pretty quick imo. You can listen to podcasts all day etc. on a rural rte. At least that's what I'd be doing.

Also I would definitely look harder at the Carolinas. I was visiting fam in NC recently and visited a station near where they live (about 40 minutes away from Charlotte) I could totally see myself working/living out there. WAY CHEAPER and pretty pretttty nice. I'm in California btw. :censored2: is too expensive if you work at FedEx and are the breadwinner. I've been eyeballing the Carolinas for a while, it's on my radar, I just need to pull the trigger.