Sherman Tanks

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
image.jpg

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I was listening to MSNBC and they were saying the criticism of Sherman was racist in nature.
They mentioned that no one would call Bobby Knight a thug ... I'm sorry but I always thought Bobby Knight was a thug and a bully with some mental issues.
I don't put Sherman in the same category as Knight.
While I do not approve or think much of Sherman's immediate post-game behavior, I willing to accept that his behavior does not reflect on his normal personality and being and that he was pumped up on emotion and adrenalin.

bbsam

Staff member
I was listening to MSNBC and they were saying the criticism of Sherman was racist in nature.
They mentioned that no one would call Bobby Knight a thug ... I'm sorry but I always thought Bobby Knight was a thug and a bully with some mental issues.
I don't put Sherman in the same category as Knight.
While I do not approve or think much of Sherman's immediate post-game behavior, I willing to accept that his behavior does not reflect on his normal personality and being and that he was pumped up on emotion and adrenalin.
Nobody on Morning Joe seemed to have a problem with Sherman and his antics. In fact, in his subsequent remarks he's come across as quite charming and thoughtful.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Nobody on Morning Joe seemed to have a problem with Sherman and his antics. In fact, in his subsequent remarks he's come across as quite charming and thoughtful.
Yeah, like I said ... a Shock Jock.
Howard Stern would have been proud.

After a few days to digest and under the jock mentality and the trash talking that goes on I think most people are more understanding. His throwing out the race card has scared many people from speaking as well.

I was in a room with 9 people of which 2 were a black couple.
When this happened live, everyone looked at each other and said "WTF" and everyone started laughing.
It did provide an insight to a world that no one in that room found normal.

upswife75

I find it amusing how many people have been shocked and up in arms about some crap talking from a professional football player. Really? He had just made the last play of the game that clinched their spot in the Superbowl and subsequently gotten shoved in the face by someone from the losing side when all he did was try to shake his hand and say good game. He was pumped up, big deal. It's not like he got on national television and started talking about busting a cap in Crabtree's arse or anything. Yet, he gets called a thug. The man was the salutatorian of his high school graduating class and graduated from Stanford with a 3.9 gpa, yet some crap talk makes him a thug? Meanwhile, thugs like Justin Bieber are facing felony charges for vandalism, getting busted for drag racing drunk (while underage), and he's just a misunderstood kid.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I find it amusing how many people have been shocked and up in arms about some crap talking from a professional football player. Really? He had just made the last play of the game that clinched their spot in the Superbowl and subsequently gotten shoved in the face by someone from the losing side when all he did was try to shake his hand and say good game. He was pumped up, big deal. It's not like he got on national television and started talking about busting a cap in Crabtree's arse or anything. Yet, he gets called a thug. The man was the salutatorian of his high school graduating class and graduated from Stanford with a 3.9 gpa, yet some crap talk makes him a thug? Meanwhile, thugs like Justin Bieber are facing felony charges for vandalism, getting busted for drag racing drunk (while underage), and he's just a misunderstood kid.
I saw that on MSNBC too.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Do you agree with it, disagree with it or somewhere in between.
I see it as being irrelevant and an example of non-critical thinking.

When Mr Sherman gave the viewing public a glimpse into the violent and primal nature of the football world, many naive people, such as myself, were taken aback. Now that the public has had time to observe him and consider what they observed, what we saw is his shtick and he continues with it. I now think of it as funny.

As for Mr Bieber, I have heard nothing but condemnation of his actions and that he needs to have an intervention.

My observation is that Mr Bieber is getting blasted by the public more than Mr Sherman.

MSNBC with its need to generate hype and viewership has decided to present the opposite of how the public is reacting. They go out and "cherry pick" examples that will help promote and support their position.

Not knocking MSNBC since FOX does the same thing.

bbsam

Staff member
I see it as being irrelevant and an example of non-critical thinking.

When Mr Sherman gave the viewing public a glimpse into the violent and primal nature of the football world, many naive people, such as myself, were taken aback. Now that the public has had time to observe him and consider what they observed, what we saw is his shtick and he continues with it. I now think of it as funny.

As for Mr Bieber, I have heard nothing but condemnation of his actions and that he needs to have an intervention.

My observation is that Mr Bieber is getting blasted by the public more than Mr Sherman.

MSNBC with its need to generate hype and viewership has decided to present the opposite of how the public is reacting. They go out and "cherry pick" examples that will help promote and support their position.

Not knocking MSNBC since FOX does the same thing.
I see your point. I just don't get the shock and dismay in either case. A pro athlete talking trash and dropping friend-bombs? A 19 year old pop star with living the fast lane and out of control? If you've ever watched NFL films or TMZ, none of this is new or news.

But we do view them differently. Football's a brutal sport and no player would and be viewed as an crazed self indulgent prima donna and Justin Bieber will have a hard time cultivating the image of hard partying, hard rocking bad boy.

upswife75

I saw that on MSNBC too.

Ah, well I don't watch MSNBC, so I have no clue what was shown. I tend to avoid main stream media, for the most part. And yes, Bieber is getting more flack, as well he should. Unlike Sherman's actions, Bieber's actions very well could have resulted in the loss of lives. Not to mention, last time I checked, talking smack in sports isn't illegal, while plenty of Bieber's stunts have been. Therein lies the difference, IMO.

upswife75

As for the violent nature of football... That isn't exactly a new phenomena, so again, I'm not really getting the shock and awe over this outburst.