Why shouldn't we strike?

brown67

Would you say the same thing if you made $70 to $90? How about $50 to $70--maybe $30 to $50. My point is you have to fight to keep what you have------------someone else fought for you. Or you can roll over and watch as things regress like Upstate is volunteering to do.

P.S. Striking isn't so bad. Have a few beers, sleep in, carry a little sign.

I went out on strike in 97. Would strike again if it was 97. Most people who want to walk out have no idea what it's like. You have to pick your fight, because it's ugly and messy.

Are you ready to walk out for several weeks. 97 was 2 1/2 weeks and drivers were ready to fold, because they hadn't been paid. If that strike went another week it would have failed. Drivers would have crossed.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I went out on strike in 97. Would strike again if it was 97. Most people who want to walk out have no idea what it's like. You have to pick your fight, because it's ugly and messy.

Are you ready to walk out for several weeks. 97 was 2 1/2 weeks and drivers were ready to fold, because they hadn't been paid. If that strike went another week it would have failed. Drivers would have crossed.

It would be even worse today. You would think that we would have learned but many of my co-workers live paycheck to paycheck.

It's to separate plans. And you only get a fixed dollar amount for part time hours, just as long as you meet the minimum hours. The whole pension thing makes me I'll. Currently UPS is paying $502 a week into our plan and we will only see a fraction if it.

We had a big player pull out of our plan, for the short term it will make the funding percentage look better. They had to pay a large exit fee.

I guess I'll see what happens. Just keep saving and hope I stay healthy enough to work.

That's why I have an extra savings account a different bank, just a little emergency strike fund. And if I never use it, I will take one Hell of a vacation when I retire

Last edited:

Coldworld

60 months and counting
PTers here need 500 hours for a full year of pension credit.

Pension contributions are paid for straight time only----I don't know if they get additional contributions if they double shift.
Your 1000 hours a year isn't sustainable, and will probably eventually changed to double that in the future years...just as it is in the western conference of teamsters pension trust

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Your 1000 hours a year isn't sustainable, and will probably eventually changed to double that in the future years...just as it is in the western conference of teamsters pension trust

I have suggested many times over the past 10 years that it be raised to at least 1,500 and preferably to 1,800. Was told that the minimum hours has no impact on our pension. Wu*?

Man Of Brown

Copied from the Western Region Supplemental Agreement.

Pension contributions payable into the Western Conference of
Teamsters Pension Trust Fund on account of each part-time and
full-time employee of the bargaining unit shall be paid for each hour
for which compensation was paid (all compensable hours) up to a
maximum of 2080 hours per calendar year.

I'm not the smartest person but I believe overtime hours are considered compensable.

I'm not the smartest person but I believe overtime hours are considered compensable.
I don't know the answer to that but the company doesn't out in any extra money if you go over 2080 hours.

P

pickup

Do they set it aside on paper or is there an escrow account where those funds are automatically deposited?

It is my understanding that the contributions are forwarded to the pension for all employees regardless of years of service.

As for your question, I don't know the answer. I'll have to find someone amongst my fellow feeder drivers who is well informed AND not opinionated to ask.

Like Diogenes , I might be looking for awhile.

P

pickup

In local 177, overtime does not count. It did a few years ago.

Man Of Brown

Do the math $502 a week here. Based on 40 hours
Makes sense. I was responding to Dave's comment about only getting pension credit for straight time. But I agree if we all had $500 a week to invest we would be a lot better off at retirement.

In local 177, overtime does not count. It did a few years ago.

I've never seen an accounting sheet and since I work more than 2080 hours a year I guess it doesn't matter too much.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Makes sense. I was responding to Dave's comment about only getting pension credit for straight time. But I agree if we all had $500 a week to invest we would be a lot better off at retirement.

I've never seen an accounting sheet and since I work more than 2080 hours a year I guess it doesn't matter too much.

You don't get an annual statement?