Why shouldn't we strike?

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
Yes, the majority of PT's don't vote, but the amount of full-timers that don't bother is staggering, considering the consequences. Apathy is no excuse. You get what you work for. And there is NO work involved in voting.

Yes, the majority of PT's don't vote, but the amount of full-timers that don't bother is staggering, considering the consequences. Apathy is no excuse. You get what you work for. And there is NO work involved in voting.
Perhaps a lot of members feel that it does not matter how you vote because the election is already rigged. The last contract vote may have something to do with that impression.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Perhaps a lot of members feel that it does not matter how you vote because the election is already rigged. The last contract vote may have something to do with that impression.

We have between 100-125 hourlies in my center. It doesn't matter how we vote or if we even vote as the election is decided by how the big cities vote.

upschuck

We have between 100-125 hourlies in my center. It doesn't matter how we vote or if we even vote as the election is decided by how the big cities vote.
You can say the same for any building/local. Look at L89(biggest local in nation), they voted no big time, but National and Supplement still passed. Only think they had control of was their local rider, and we see how that turned out.

P

pickup

PTers need 5 years to be vested in our pension. Work less than that and the union gets to keep all of the contributions made on their behalf so, yeah, it may be in their interest to have high turnover.

There should be a newcomer orientation meeting hosted by the BA on Union 101.

I'm under the impression that when a worker hits 5 years, then ups forks over the money to the teamsters for that worker. If the worker leaves before 5 years, UPS never has to hand over a dime.

That's my belief and your post contradicts my belief. You got any evidence behind your post? Perhaps something a BA said to you?

I'm under the impression that when a worker hits 5 years, then ups forks over the money to the teamsters for that worker. If the worker leaves before 5 years, UPS never has to hand over a dime.

That's my belief and your post contradicts my belief. You got any evidence behind your post? Perhaps something a BA said to you?
The part time pension here is administered by UPS and has nothing to do with the Teamsters. If an employee has less than 5 years they get nothing and the company keeps the money or it just stays in the plan. And that's less that they have to contribute in the future.

brown67

Striking sounds great until it happens, and then it sucks real fast. Ask yourself this question. Where can you go and make 80k to 100k with full free benefits? Now, why are striking if you have the highest pay and best benefits

rod

Retired 22 years
Striking sounds great until it happens, and then it sucks real fast. Ask yourself this question. Where can you go and make 80k to 100k with full free benefits? Now, why are striking if you have the highest pay and best benefits

Would you say the same thing if you made $70 to $90? How about $50 to $70--maybe $30 to $50. My point is you have to fight to keep what you have------------someone else fought for you. Or you can roll over and watch as things regress like Upstate is volunteering to do.

P.S. Striking isn't so bad. Have a few beers, sleep in, carry a little sign.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
Would you say the same thing if you made $70 to $90? How about $50 to $70--maybe $30 to $50. My point is you have to fight to keep what you have------------someone else fought for you. Or you can roll over and watch as things regress like Upstate is volunteering to do.

The long view isn't a strong suit of this generation.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Do they set it aside on paper or is there an escrow account where those funds are automatically deposited?

It is my understanding that the contributions are forwarded to the pension for all employees regardless of years of service.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Ups has pushed us beyond the point of giving a :censored2:. If anything little thing is even mentioned of being taken away(and I know it will) you got my no vote.
Yep and most of us just keep taking it year after year after year.....I see more guys limping and with wrist, knee and elbow braces than ever before... More guys out on medical leave than ever before ... More " firings" more warning letters over absolutely stupid ass reasons....yet we still just let the company walk and stomp all over us...and take it like dogs

Coldworld

60 months and counting
I'll be sure to space it out each time then. So people who see H o friend friend a. Means he is for UPS, not the members vote
Careful...if you start trying to sneak things past the filters the ass might send you a private message throwing a hissy....he didn't like it when I was doing it ...he's playing the dictator role....this isn't ups anymore man you're retired..

Coldworld

60 months and counting
I hope we do walk out. This crap is getting ridiculous. From daily Harassment, to SurePost. The list goes on and on. Im ready to walk out. Record profits
Yep bullseye ... When I get my "questionnaire in the mail the first two things I'm going to put down is constant harassment as 1 and surepost as 2... Oh that's right the union put a stop to the underlying causes of production harassment in the last contract...lol what joke!!