2023 Teamster Contract Negotiation - Partner Edition

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
Triple is a stretch, I still think it's close to double.
a brand new new hub FT vs a high seniority driver with a crap load of OT is the closest it would come to double, but not even then

maybe drivers confuse base pay with gross pay, but MIP is a big part of our salary and it pushes us over the top against any driver not making an obscene amount of bonus/OT

DELACROIX

In the Spirit of Honore' Daumier
a brand new new hub FT vs a high seniority driver with a crap load of OT is the closest it would come to double, but not even then

maybe drivers confuse base pay with gross pay, but MIP is a big part of our salary and it pushes us over the top against any driver not making an obscene amount of bonus/OT

We all know that you guys will be losing your vesting under the UPS Retirement Plan (management) at the end of this year. What is your take on seeing a pension (vested credits) buy out in 2023?

My opinion is that they will be waiting till the 2023 contract is signed and settled then they will start (clearing the books).

I have heard that a two unit manager clears about 150,000 a year, guessing MIP adds another 25,000 or 30,000 to their salaries. The most a money hungry driver working close to a 60 hours a week, guessing 125,000.

Everybody forgets that any job at UPS has an attrition rate, this is not a sprint, it is designed to be a marathon. More so for the hourlies who are prone to break down physically.

Their current pension plans basically pays out at about 1/2 their annual salaries. I do not know if (MIP) is included with those final pension benefits.

Last edited:

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
We all know that you guys will be losing your vesting under the UPS Retirement Plan (management) at the end of this year. What is your take on seeing a pension (vested credits) buy out in 2023?

My opinion is that they will be waiting till the 2023 contract is signed and settled then they will start (clearing the books).

I have heard that a two unit manager clears about 150,000 a year, guessing MIP adds another 25,000 or 30,000 to their salaries. The most a money hungry driver working close to a 60 hours a week, guessing 125,000.

Everybody forgets that any job at UPS has an attrition rate, this is not a sprint, it is designed to be a marathon. More so for the hourlies who are prone to break down physically.

Their current pension plans basically pays out at about 1/2 their annual salaries. I do not know if (MIP) is included with those final pension benefits.
I literally don't care about a pension whatsoever, I'd rather have the extra pay or at least a matched 401k

Pensions are cancerous and :censored2:ty investments

DELACROIX

I literally don't care about a pension whatsoever, I'd rather have the extra pay or at least a matched 401k

At one time defined pension plans were used as an incentive to keep the long term employees...Times have indeed changed.

For those not familiar with ERISA laws, ALL your service or vested years are protected. So if a company or corporation decides to end the pension plan the participant is guaranteed the benefits promised. The management plan has been well funded since l961, all those service years are protected till the participants retire or reach age 65.

The going trend is for companies to get out of their defined pension plans and make their employees go into a 401K, whether they are matched is up to the Company. Probably has to due with the increased costs associated with maintaining those plans.

Dragon

Package Center Manager

Updated information is to be posted on UPSers for management this month in regards to retirement, update is on the front page of UPSers once you log in for management. I thought they said a letter maybe in the mail also but I do not remember right off hand.

Updated information is to be posted on UPSers for management this month in regards to retirement, update is on the front page of UPSers once you log in for management. I thought they said a letter maybe in the mail also but I do not remember right off hand.
I heard one of the supervisors saying they also raised the age for retirement.
Any truth to that?

DELACROIX

I do not know what the current retirement age is for management but I heard one supervisors complain that they were moving at the age 59.

He's in his early 50s and he really hates his place.

He probably is not the only one...:overreactsmiley:

And I thought us (union) grunts were the only ones that were supposed to be disgruntled.

Superteeth2478

I would like to see some documentation. Never heard of this...
There's a "no-strike" clause in most contracts between a union and the employer, meaning that a strike during a contract period rather than after negotiations have failed is a "wildcat strike" and isn't likely to get any sympathy from the government, the company, or the union. Usually the only reason a strike during a contract is approved is when it's due to ongoing egregious safety violations (among a handful of other things).

The strike in Maspeth over the unjust termination is an example of a wildcat strike. The company was planning on and would absolutely have followed through with terminating all of the drivers that participated but due to the bad press circling the news in regard to the company's position and the fact that they'd be losing "sweetheart deals" with the city they re-instated all the drivers although the business agent that called the strike was barred from entering UPS facilities.

That was a very isolated incident though. Again, it's highly unlikely that a wildcat strike would garner much sympathy from any side, especially the public.

Superteeth2478

As a sidenote, the thread derailment to talk of crabgrass and gardening was the most random derailment I've ever seen on these forums. I'm sure there's been worse ones but this one takes the cake for me.

Superteeth2478

I guess we seek union help with over 70lbs?
Everyone at UPS get help with every overweight one day out of the year.

UPS would crumble 😆

🧔‍♂️✊
You package car drivers need to stop bitching about those overweight packages. Those poor feeder drivers aren't getting any assistance with their overweight bellies...

Superteeth2478

One thing that is probably a non starter for ups is the whole if a sup is caught working more than 3 times they have to go back to being an hourly(or become one if they were hired in as a sup) too many pt sups would intentionally get caught. I know several who wish they didn't take the promotion.
This is true, at least in the hub I work at. A whole lot of part-time supervisors (including the ones I told NOT to drink the brown kool-aid) very quickly begin asking me how to go back to being a part-time box monkey. I actually do feel sorry for them but I always have to tell them that to the best of my understanding the only way to do so is to be vetted for a full-time supervisor position and go out on road and make your 30 days and tell them "Nah, :censored2: you, I'm staying union".

That said, apparently they don't have them do a 30-day driving packet anymore so for the most part they're screwed. It is a shame, they were union workers before their minds got clouded and they made a decision that they regretted soon afterwards.

Last edited:

Executive Brown

I will try to answer your question with the understanding that I am a hourly.

There are probably no management left that participated in the 97 strike that could answer your question, most of them retired, took the buyouts or quit by now. We still have a handful off hourlies that walked back in 97, not many of them left either.

It was a given that the strike would not last past 3 weeks, everybody knew it. That strike was the company’s fault..they misjudged everything in order to get out of their pension obligations. Carey played them like a fiddle.

There is no reason now for the Company to force a work stoppage with the Central bailout almost settled. O’Brien has already stated that he will not negotiate any earlier than 5 months before the contract expires, it will be on the company’s negotiating committees to present a fair and reasonable deal from the start. They know the issues that O’Brien ran on, no excuse for another disaster like the 97 strike.
I am still around. We are here.

Executive Brown

I will try to answer your question with the understanding that I am a hourly.

There are probably no management left that participated in the 97 strike that could answer your question, most of them retired, took the buyouts or quit by now. We still have a handful off hourlies that walked back in 97, not many of them left either.

It was a given that the strike would not last past 3 weeks, everybody knew it. That strike was the company’s fault..they misjudged everything in order to get out of their pension obligations. Carey played them like a fiddle.

There is no reason now for the Company to force a work stoppage with the Central bailout almost settled. O’Brien has already stated that he will not negotiate any earlier than 5 months before the contract expires, it will be on the company’s negotiating committees to present a fair and reasonable deal from the start. They know the issues that O’Brien ran on, no excuse for another disaster like the 97 strike.
I am still around. We are here.