705 Results

tieguy

Banned
it's there own fault for not showing up. when you don't vote, you don't get a say. the almost 3000 that did vote made the choice for the ones that didn't want to care about the contract.

See I always loved this argument. 10,000 dues paying members did not show up to a strike vote that was called with very little notice and no one cares that they were not represented. To justify this huge no show they decide the 10,000 did not care enough to show up. Many probably had prior committments since it is prime vacation season, some probably did not hear about the vote and yet tough crap you didn't care enough to show up. This is a union that does not care if all its members were represented as long as they got the vote they wanted.

tieguy

Banned
Is this both 710 and 705 or just 705? I looked on 710's site but there isn't a link to view the proposals like on the 705's. Is there anyway to view the ones for the 710 elsewhere?

good question their web page seems to be pretty generic. The international webpage does not list it. They apparently do not consider the chicago unions major news.

How are 710's negotiations going , they don't seem to be having as many problems as 705?

Mike Hawk

Approximately 23 percent voted for the rest.

Next we'll get the speechs on how the company has been scared into negotiating in earnest due to the union scaring them with the strike vote.

Your local may still throw in a 72 hour notice just to grandstand a little more. Its important these negotiations are fully leveraged to make it look like the union is forcing the company to negotiate.

I wonder why the other 77 percent of the members did not bother showing up.
Are you new to democracy? You seem surprised that not everyone showed up. Everyone could have voted, they chose not to by staying home, so really 100% of the people that cared voted. The people that did not vote have only themselves to blame.

ogrelord

Ground Down
See I always loved this argument. 10,000 dues paying members did not show up to a strike vote that was called with very little notice and no one cares that they were not represented. To justify this huge no show they decide the 10,000 did not care enough to show up. Many probably had prior commitments since it is prime vacation season, some probably did not hear about the vote and yet tough crap you didn't care enough to show up. This is a union that does not care if all its members were represented as long as they got the vote they wanted.

it was there choice, UPS only needs hours to change a start time. they were give a week and a half? i find it hard to believe that a city like Chicago, people would have trouble getting to a union hall to vote. is it still a buck 1.80$ for a ride and a transfer? the suburbs have pace (which is public transportation) Metra( the big boy train). Vacation? come on that's weak. what, like 10% can only be off at the same time. so thats like 1,000 at best where were the other 9,000. the 3,000 who cared voted. 1,000 on vacation. and 9,000 wanted to sleep in instead of taking alittle time out of their day to vote. look how many people didn't vote in the NMA. should we have counted all those votes as No's? if we did, nothing would be done.

Mike Hawk

See I always loved this argument. 10,000 dues paying members did not show up to a strike vote that was called with very little notice and no one cares that they were not represented. To justify this huge no show they decide the 10,000 did not care enough to show up. Many probably had prior committments since it is prime vacation season, some probably did not hear about the vote and yet tough crap you didn't care enough to show up. This is a union that does not care if all its members were represented as long as they got the vote they wanted.
It has been known the contract will expire on August 1st 2008 since?... Five years ago. If the people did not hear about it they must have no knowledge about the workings of their local or their contract, that is their fault. Ignorance is no excuse when the information is right in front of you.

If those on vacation wanted to vote they could have altered their plans, if they value a week of fishing or whatever over their futures at UPS that is their problem.

All the members could have been represented, they chose not to be, don't blame those that did vote for those that did not.

over9five

Staff member
I think all the members should have been allowed to vote by internet (or phone). One vote per employee ID. This IS the 21st century. 13000 people going to one union hall to vote is insane. It's no wonder thousands didn't show up!

Of course, if it were that easy to vote, the outcome wouldn't have been the same.....

BigBrownSanta

Well if you put them in as no votes then the strike vote does not pass.

As you said before, this is a scripted propaganda ploy. You admitted before, that the outcome was already preordained. Therefore, the only way to stop it would have been to vote against the strike authorization. Those that may have wanted to vote no already knew the strike would be authorized, and by their lack of participation, they allowed it to happen. So yes, all those potential votes are yes votes.

BigBrownSanta

According to your little propaganda "schtick" things appear to be going as planned. Why is that upsetting you? You're even making excuses for the nonvoters now. :happy-very:

dillweed

good question their web page seems to be pretty generic. The international webpage does not list it. They apparently do not consider the chicago unions major news.

How are 710's negotiations going , they don't seem to be having as many problems as 705?

I haven't been able to find anything online; 710 doesn't seem to have a direct web site like 705s.

Our (710) rep was in negotiations last week. He's promised to keep us posted so we'll wait and see.

Just a thought, if 705 were to strike then 710 wouldn't be working either. Wonder how that would affect our negotiations.

brownIEman

I think all the members should have been allowed to vote by internet (or phone). One vote per employee ID. This IS the 21st century. 13000 people going to one union hall to vote is insane. It's no wonder thousands didn't show up!

Of course, if it were that easy to vote, the outcome wouldn't have been the same.....

This reminds me of something I have not thought about in a while. After the 97 strike, I remember reading a notice on one of the union boards about strike pay. The notice said union members would have to come to the locals office on a specific weekend to pick up their strike pay checks, and that any not picked up would be returned to the IBT.

I never did get an answer back then, maybe someone could tell me now. Is that common practice? If there is a strike this time will members in Chicago have to come down to pick up their checks? If they do not, can the union just keep that money or do they have to get the check to them some other way?

W

westsideworma

This reminds me of something I have not thought about in a while. After the 97 strike, I remember reading a notice on one of the union boards about strike pay. The notice said union members would have to come to the locals office on a specific weekend to pick up their strike pay checks, and that any not picked up would be returned to the IBT.

I never did get an answer back then, maybe someone could tell me now. Is that common practice? If there is a strike this time will members in Chicago have to come down to pick up their checks? If they do not, can the union just keep that money or do they have to get the check to them some other way?

IF thats true then thats a really crappy deal. Granted I live close to our hall (not that it affects me anymore), but I'm sure many don't. Especially with locals as big as 705/710.

haydendavid380

is property of UPS

I really don't know, that's why I was trying to find some news on it. I tried to talk to a few other p/t this morning. None of the 4 I talked knew what a contract was... I was waiting for red to respond, I figured he'd be able to tell me what the deal is, or where I might be able to find it.

tieguy

Banned
Are you new to democracy? You seem surprised that not everyone showed up. Everyone could have voted, they chose not to by staying home, so really 100% of the people that cared voted. The people that did not vote have only themselves to blame.

Not surprised just gleefully pointing out the kinks.:happy-very:

tieguy

Banned
I really don't know, that's why I was trying to find some news on it. I tried to talk to a few other p/t this morning. None of the 4 I talked knew what a contract was... I was waiting for red to respond, I figured he'd be able to tell me what the deal is, or where I might be able to find it.

Hayden,

don't sweat it . Your local appears to be honoring the agreement to keep things quiet until its time to publish. They do this so they don't unnecessarily worry the members.

drewed

Shankman
Could you translate that to proper English? Thanks.

Reds point was the 705 was better than the general voting age public because thier 23% was higher percentage of participation. The last general election 69% of registered voters voted which makes up 55% of voter aged persons.

Last edited:

I got my $300 strike checks on the picket line in '97.