8 hour req

9.5 everyday

Our local will max you out with 8.5 hours of work. Or they will tell you they can't give you the 8 hr day even though you were approved, and then ask if you want to go home so they don't have to cut or move work. We typically request 8 hour days on our heaviest days, knowing they can't cut that much work, and then work a full day, 9.5-10 hours, and file a grievance on it for an extra 2 hrs.
Maybe I should clarify, when I said "we typically"I should have used "we occasionally". It's not something drivers do every time they want 8 hrs. But, I still don't see anything wrong with putting in for an 8 hr day on your known heaviest day. It you get the 8 hours it's a bonus and an easier day. If you can't get a good dispatch then you grieve it.

Shifting Contents

Most Help Needed
Maybe I should clarify, when I said "we typically"I should have used "we occasionally". It's not something drivers do every time they want 8 hrs. But, I still don't see anything wrong with putting in for an 8 hr day on your known heaviest day. It you get the 8 hours it's a bonus and an easier day. If you can't get a good dispatch then you grieve it.
Putting I'm for an 8 hour day on your known heaviest day because you are exhausted and want relied is ok

Doing the same thing because you know they won't be able to honor it solely to get the money is a jerk move

9.5 everyday

I am constantly over dispatched on 8 hr days. I use them for my kids sports practices or games. They "force" me to either work harder than a normal day to get the job done, or to miss picking my kids up to get them to where they need to be. I've never gotten help when asked. And when I say I need less work they tell me it won't "plan". Such bs. Yet no one has the time to do a ride along with me to reevaluate the route.

Overpaid Union Thug

Putting I'm for an 8 hour day on your known heaviest day because you are exhausted and want relied is ok

Doing the same thing because you know they won't be able to honor it solely to get the money is a jerk move

You didn't say anything remotely like why I said hence why I distanced myself from your statement

I was questioning you sobriety because that didn't sound like something you'd say sober
We said almost the same thing! Maybe I should be questioning your sobriety. LOL

Overpaid Union Thug

Why would they not be able to honor it? It's very simple.
Various reasons. The one that seems prevalent here is the combination of honoring them and moving the work over to people that are on the 9.5 list. That and having to accommodate their favorites really puts them in a bind. If they didn't have to answer to IE and a coward district manager for it then maybe they'd honor them more. It's a mess for sure and these people that are only using the language to line their pockets only make it worse.

728ups

All Trash No Trailer

I come to work to make money,period. What is even sweeter is that if the 8 hour day isnt honoured it dosent count and i submit a request for another one the following week. Between 8 hour penalty pay and Supervisor Working Grievances I add a nice little bonus to my take home every couple of months. It's a nice bonus.

Overpaid Union Thug

I come to work to make money,period. What is even sweeter is that if the 8 hour day isnt honoured it dosent count and i submit a request for another one the following week. Between 8 hour penalty pay and Supervisor Working Grievances I add a nice little bonus to my take home every couple of months. It's a nice bonus.

The language isn't meant for you to make bonus. It's meant to give people an out from OT twice a month if desired.

If so many people weren't using it as their own personal bonus system then UPS would honor them more. My center, as a good example, didnt have more than a couple 8 hr requests per month until three or four years ago. They were honored until people started playing these games.Once the 8 hr requests became a weekly thing things went south.

Greed and a desire to stick it to the company has ruined a good thing. And, sadly, its their "brothers" that are really getting screwed in the process.

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
The language isn't meant for you to make bonus. It's meant to give people an out from OT twice a month if desired.

If so many people weren't using it as their own personal bonus system then UPS would honor them more. My center, as a good example, didnt have more than a couple 8 hr requests per month until three or four years ago. They were honored until people started playing these games.Once the 8 hr requests became a weekly thing things went south.

Greed and a desire to stick it to the company has ruined a good thing. And, sadly, its their "brothers" that are really getting screwed in the process.
The language on 9.5,Supervisor Working and and 8 hour penalty pay creates a a way for those with the cojones to stand up for themselves and make extra cash. I come to work to make money and I'll be damned if i'm going to pass up an easy 2 hours of penalty pay because someone ona message board thinks it is "screwing " the company.

UPS created this atmosphere with loading the trucks down and insisting on a SPC metric. 8 hours requests in the past werent needed a most drivers never worked more than 8.5 hours every day. In my center it became common to load everyone down,wit the attitude of "you dont have to like it,just do it" Well the street runs both ways.

bumped

I get 3 a month and I take all of them. If I have too much work I tell them I will need help or will bring them back and sheet as missed. I get the help when I need it.

bumped

We are full almost everyday with 8 hour requests. 3 per driver per month.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS

Wouldn't it be cheaper to just honor the 8 hour request?
Are you related to Upstate? Sounds like crap he might come up with

wide load

Starting wage is a waste of time.
Time an eye exam sir

I said deliberately picking 8 hours days on days drivers know they will be difficult to honor for the sole purpose of attempting to get more money from a grievance is a dick move

Filing because you have somewhere to be and mgmt. screwed it up is the way it should be
Can you give an example? And why is an 8 hour day so horrifically difficult to honor?

wide load

Starting wage is a waste of time.

And if UPS were to dispatch where a driver finished between 8 and 9.5 hours, you would see a reduction in 8 hour requests. People are sick of working 11-12 hours a day.
Btw, you don't sound like a union thug to me.

Shifting Contents

Most Help Needed
Can you give an example? And why is an 8 hour day so horrifically difficult to honor?
Not my point nor my problem

Picking a day where you know it to be difficult for mgmnt to honor it FOR THE SOLE PURPOSE OF FILING TO SCREW WITH MGMNT is playing games and contributes to the hostile work environment you all complain about.

Picking a day that's heavy because you're tired of it and would like an easy day that day and filing when they fail to honor it is not only your right but responsibility

My point is all about your intent

I hold union brothers who excersise their contractual rights in the highest regard

Can't stand slugs who play games and hide behind the union

Not my point nor my problem

Picking a day where you know it to be difficult for mgmnt to honor it FOR THE SOLE PURPOSE OF FILING TO SCREW WITH MGMNT is playing games and contributes to the hostile work environment you all complain about.

Picking day that's heavy because you're tired of it and would like an easy day that day and filing when they fail to honor it is not only your right but responsibility
I always pick a Friday. I like to start the weekend early.