A strike will be ugly

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

You won't even be a part of it so run along and play with the other children across the street.
Oh wait, the street is dangerous.

I asked my BA about that and he said that you have to be a member in good standing at least one month before the contract expires to be eligible to vote. I retire 6/22 and our contract expires 7/31 so that should mean that I would not be eligible but I bet that I will receive a ballot nonetheless.

F

Frankie's Friend

Uh........no.

It is true that the votes of the 125 or so people where I work will have little to no impact on at the national level; however, those same 125 votes could have a significant impact on our supplement.

The national will pass or fail based upon the voting at the larger hubs, to include CACH and Worldport.
Oh, will CACH be voting separate from their own local autonomy?

F

Frankie's Friend

I asked my BA about that and he said that you have to be a member in good standing at least one month before the contract expires to be eligible to vote. I retire 6/22 and our contract expires 7/31 so that should mean that I would not be eligible but I bet that I will receive a ballot nonetheless.
Voter fraud by a union parasite. How fitting.

F

Frankie's Friend

I knew one would bite and be "that guy"...you don't understand that roughly 25-35% of people vote? ;)
Not this time dude. There's going to be a pitch to the pt timers that will get even the low brows to vote so I'm predicting over 40% or more. Yeah dude, you're that guy. The pt timers will vote in their raises because they the vast majority doesn't care about much of anything else.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Not this time dude. There's going to be a pitch to the pt timers that will get even the low brows to vote so I'm predicting over 40% or more. Yeah dude, you're that guy. The pt timers will vote in their raises because they the vast majority doesn't care about much of anything else.
You could be right, but could be wrong. Regardless, the majority do not vote and it's likely to be that way. it's nearly always a majority forcing itself upon a minority.

DELACROIX

In the Spirit of Honore' Daumier
It is actually closer to 20%. The Union is hoping that electronic voting will bring those numbers closer to your estimates.

Great, all we need is a lot more uniformed part time and scared newer full time votes. Just how hard was it to turn in a paper ballot. Just keep everybody in the dark till the last second and spring it on them without factual information works every time.

I see a game plan unfolding on this contract: Wait for the last second with the electronic voting, scare the membership with propaganda about layoffs, raise the starting wage to a 2023 minimum rate. Force another bare minimum master with split raises and no real power to enforce. People better start to actually understand what they are voting for or be prepared to again eat manure for the next 5 years, your choice.

Thank God for the Supplements. At least the rank and file in those regions try to understand what they are voting for.

We will see if the current negotiators will be willing to submit an inferior (master) for vote before Aug. Look at the players involved it is like the (Game of Thrones). I do not expect an extension, thinking the company is lobbying Washington to prevent any strike action, they had plenty of time, it is a farce. It is only a 5 year contract if they start to loose money or go bankrupt they can be more prepared to ask for concessions but not of this one.

People, the MONEY is there..do not fall for the misinformation that will be presented.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS

Too bad we’ll never know

Heavy Package

If you think that a profitable company of now $6B will not be willing to allow, or cannot survive a strike in order to get the changes that they want/need, then you are highly mistaken.

UPS's answer to breaking the union with temp workers is a new DIAD charger thingy? LMFAO! I'll take my chances - We won't be out of a job more than 1-2 weeks TOPS.

Don't worry - They'll be plenty of irregs for you to deliver when we get back to work. And if you do cross the line, be prepared to buy several sets of new tires.

Heavy Package

Most of us won’t recognize the place by 2023.

You're right. By 2023, UPS will have fully automated hubs, turn by turn nav systems in all the trucks, and everything loaded in perfect delivery order. With just the push of a button, packages can be rerouted and delivered all by themselves in a seamless manner. Just like it is now, but only better!

This company has lost its mind. It's a damn box with an address on it that needs to be delivered to the front door.

Oh by the way - No matter what they say, no one wants anyone on their property after dark. 9 / 10hr max days is enough of this crap. Add more routes or it can wait until tomorrow. Can't wait? Then drive to the damn hub and pick it up.

It's not rocket science. Can you imagine what just 1-year of shifting the spend on their new crapola technology to adding routes and staffing would do to improve service and the work life balance of their employees?

“Many locals”

Got a link? Or is this FNN news

I changed it to only a couple JC. Not everything has a link. Just what I’ve heard about JC negotiations.

I’m just saying, JC negotiations turns into regional. There are areas that think the “strike no matter what” movement is counterproductive. A bunch of unrealistic demands from rookie negotiators.

Daf

Would you rather have a great paying job and a less than perfect contract, or no job at all??
A strike will be long, ugly, and most likely a permanent separation between UPS and the Union. If you think that a profitable company of now $6B will not be willing to allow, or cannot survive a strike in order to get the changes that they want/need, then you are highly mistaken.
A strike is always ugly, and painful to both members and company. Sometimes necessary to create change.

As of right now, things cannot continue as is for us workers at Ups. Every complaint falls on deaf ears. In fact if we speak up we get a target on our back.

Safety is gone, and I’m not talking about memorizing safety acronyms. The safety of our equipment, workload, staffing levels are pathetic. You preach about it at pcm, but as soon as it comes to getting someone help with a 150 pound package, or getting broken equipment fixed, then suddenly we “can’t afford” safety anymore.

If you are a manager that is getting nervous maybe you should start doing your part in treating workers better.

I will be willing to walk a picket line and take strike pay before I agree to a contract that allows this to continue.