Amazon Impact on UPS

bbsam

Staff member
UPS makes how much more profit per year? versus Fedex? Pays It pays it employees far more than Fedex! you tell me!
Generally speaking, FedEx has a much lower cost structure. But, they don't give huge discounts to buy the business that UPS considers unprofitable. They pocket the difference and self fund huge expansion projects.

Generally speaking, FedEx has a much lower cost structure. But, they don't give huge discounts to buy the business that UPS considers unprofitable. They pocket the difference and self fund huge expansion projects.
Dont you mean...Fat Freddy pockets the difference...........and pisses on the rest of the company??

bbsam

Staff member
Dont you mean...Fat Freddy pockets the difference...........and pisses on the rest of the company??
Not on the Ground side. I understand many like to dismiss Ground because they don't like the model, but UPS has done that since the inception of RPS and has come to regret it. Don't believe me? Ask Atlanta.

thessalonian13

People should not wait till 2 days before Christmas eve to do their internet shopping. It's not our fault. We should not guarantee anything after Dec. 23rd. Neither should Amazon or anybody else. I don't feel sorry for anybody who didn't get their packages. We were all delivering on christmas eve till after 9pm for some drivers.

TUT

All while paying substandard wages and providing substandard benefits.

To my understandings....

Fedex simply doesn't just have business because UPS doesn't want it. I know that first and 2nd hand. Not meaning in a way they are simply better, it's just that you are all close enough.

To my understanding the wage scale is different only in the Driver sector, most other parts are similar in pay and benefits.

This sort of goes hand and hand with how many here just report on what they see as "standard truck driver". There is a lot of B2B truckloads going back and forth that standard drivers don't touch and it critical to both companies. Fedex Ground probably by % of their own business has more of this than the others. The point I understood is shipping companies really covet the B2B sector and if they somehow could make it all go away, would like to rid of residential. But that is part of the gig, probably another reason why neither carrier wants to ever consider being the post office, way too much of what you rather not do.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
People should not wait till 2 days before Christmas eve to do their internet shopping. It's not our fault. We should not guarantee anything after Dec. 23rd. Neither should Amazon or anybody else. I don't feel sorry for anybody who didn't get their packages. We were all delivering on christmas eve till after 9pm for some drivers.
Amazon shouldn't guarantee delivery by any date. They have no control over it. They should guarantee a ship by date that's it. I just ordered something and they still are advertising. Order in the next x amount of hours to guarantee deliver by x date. Truth is all they control is when it's packed by.

JL 0513

Just got an email for my Amazon order that just shipped and they not only give an expected delivery day, but say "by 8:00 PM". Why are they even saying that? We all know that on some days we are delivering after that. Amazon has no place quoting a time on a ground package. They have nothing to do with it.