Amazon Impact on UPS

Scuba Steve

For as long as I remember, shippers have been telling us customers that it's UPS' fault. I had some things needed for a customer of mine last month. The company I ordered it from said they shipped it out that same day 3 day select. It never showed and they chucked UPS under the bus. I asked for the tracking number. They sent it out 3 days after they said they did and shipped it regular ground...

In regards to Amazon, how many of you remember the Sears wish book? Back in the 70's that was Amazon. JC Penny's catalog too. Speigles, I remember all those items coming UPS. Now the virtually don't exist.

Keep up the great work!!!

Ms.PacMan

That is HUGE. Think of the layoffs if we were to foolishly lose that account.
We had a PCM before peak began and they said that we had won an exclusive contract with Amazon for the next 5 years starting Jan 1.

UPS will really need to get its' act together if FedEx is no longer in the picture next peak season.

bbsam

Staff member
We had a PCM before peak began and they said that we had won an exclusive contract with Amazon for the next 5 years starting Jan 1.

UPS will really need to get its' act together if FedEx is no longer in the picture next peak season.

I would wonder what provisions are in that contract. If UPS were to fail next December, does that nullify the contract for the rest of the five year period? Does Amazon receive special assurances that their packages will be delivered by agreed upon date?

I would wonder what provisions are in that contract. If UPS were to fail next December, does that nullify the contract for the rest of the five year period? Does Amazon receive special assurances that their packages will be delivered by agreed upon date?

Does some talking head make assurances? Absolutely. Can they be guaranteed in the real world? I think the past few weeks have answered that question.

kingOFchester

We may have won a contract with Amazon, but I highly doubt that it is for all the work. Amazon wouldn't put all their eggs in one basket.

kingOFchester

UPS screwed up not Amazon. Hopefully we'll lose Amazon.
We don't know all the facts, and probably will never know all the facts.

If Amazon knew that UPS/Fedex was in the hole, and they themselves were in a hole, do you think they would admit that they too were unable to keep up with orders? Or would they act as if your order was packed and ready to go, but UPS/Fedex dropped the ball? My guess is they saw an opportunity to place all blame on us, while they themselves had issues, or at the very least sold product knowingly that it was not going to be delivered on time.

kingOFchester

I love how UPS is always blameless. Yes it is the fault of UPS. They're always making promises they can't keep.

Who os to blame may never be known. We would need to know if UPS communicated the possible issue to Amazon. Did UPS/Fedex/Amazon make a money grab knowing that this was going to happen? Is it to far fetched to believe that UPS, Amazon and Fedex had a closed door meeting/call where they discussed the issue and decided to allow people to blindly order so they could raise their profit?

Maybe UPS told Amazon we will not be able to make service if you continue to offer Christmas eve delivery. We will probably not know anything, unless there is a lawsuit. And I would not take a lawsuit out of the equation. At least not a threat of a lawsuit, which once again we will not be privy to.

TUT

Positive. It may not have been a PCM blerb apparently but that's what the center manager told us during a PCM. Sure post will still be an option - just no FedEx.

We'll find out soon enough.

How about regionals? About 25% of the stuff I get from Amazon comes in my case OnTrac.

Overpaid Union Thug

It is true Amazon was
Amazon was processing orders guaranteed for Christmas on Christmas Eve. Do you still think we were solely to blame?

It's true. I've seen a few Amazon employees that also work at UPS speak up about this. Amazon is as much to blame. Still got to factor in weather and the higher than usual amount of procrastinators.

onehandsolo

The fed ex forum is reporting that there amazon volume was double for Saturday express delivery. I live in Charlotte. Most of my amazon prime comes laser ship and Fed ex. My route is probably 5 percent amazon on Monday. 20% Tuesday Thursday and Friday and 30% on Friday. The last two Xmas eves I would estimate over half of my deliveries were amazon.