ARE UPS NES NEGOTIATORS HIGH?

brownIEman

I will agree UPS seems to be reaching for the Stars in some of these proposals.
The Scrooge language of your boy SO here though is unprofessional and intended to illicit an emotional rather than any sort of reasoned response.

I am curious, what are some of the reach items in the unions 80 some proposals? Anyone know?
If your answer is "none, all 80 ish Union proposals were totally reasonable and should not budge on any of them for any reason".
Well in that case I would say
1 I don't buy it.
And 2. If that is the case your negotiators suck and you need to get new ones ASAP!

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Next? Where have you been rookie? Management was first - cost control started there well before '97.

The company's contempt toward employees is certainly no more nor any newer than employee contempt for the company.

Negotiations just started, don't get your collective panties in a twist.
Rookie??? Isn’t bug like 70 or something ??? Almost as old as @Gumby and @rod...jk guys

Dragon

Package Center Manager
The Scrooge language of your boy SO here though is unprofessional and intended to illicit an emotional rather than any sort of reasoned response.

I am curious, what are some of the reach items in the unions 80 some proposals? Anyone know?
If your answer is "none, all 80 ish Union proposals were totally reasonable and should not budge on any of them for any reason".
1 I don't buy it.
And 2. If that is the case your negotiators suck and you need to get new ones ASAP!

what about the other 12 that were not presented in this letter? I assume Sean was good with those and will be pushing for you to vote yes on them.

brownIEman

Rookie??? Isn’t bug like 70 or something ??? Almost as old as @Gumby and @rod...jk guys

Yeah, I was just giving him a hard time for warning management to be prepared for something that started 20 odd years ago.
I know he is no rookie and meant no disrespect.

Not quite. ;)

@brownIEman is sweating it.

How much more.... will UPS management lose in this next contract ?

It's not like they have a Union representing them.

-Bug-

No, not really. I quit in '15 and just sold the last of my stock a couple months ago so I no longer have any financial connection to UPS other than the pension in a few years (assuming it's still there, it is planned for fun money). Although, if you guys do go on strike I might try to game it by shorting before and then going long during :happy2:. My attachment to the company is purely sentimental at this point. And yes, I recognize that is an illness. I'm working on it.

Maybe my next carreer will be to start the International Brotherhood of UPS Supervisors union. Probably should call it a partnership instead of brotherhood though, for the sake of irony if nothing else. Would you help me develop candlelit initiation rites, secret handshakes, decoder rings and such for a consultation fee?

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
Right.
We get to negotiate and vote, on our contract.
You, on the other hand....
Will take what you get and like it. Or, leave for "better" opportunities.
Think Amazon. :biggrin:
-Bug-
yes like everyone else with a job everywhere, including you since you're not going to get everything you want either

i dunno why you'd think management has less choice in their jobs, you're a driver and that's all you'll ever be unless you quit or go management; i can change jobs by picking up the phone to my boss and telling him i want to do something different

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Yeah, I was just giving him a hard time for warning management to be prepared for something that started 20 odd years ago.
I know he is no rookie and meant no disrespect.

No, not really. I quit in '15 and just sold the last of my stock a couple months ago so I no longer have any financial connection to UPS other than the pension in a few years (assuming it's still there, it is planned for fun money). Although, if you guys do go on strike I might try to game it by shorting before and then going long during :happy2:. My attachment to the company is purely sentimental at this point. And yes, I recognize that is an illness. I'm working on it.

Maybe my next carreer will be to start the International Brotherhood of UPS Supervisors union. Probably should call it a partnership instead of brotherhood though, for the sake of irony if nothing else. Would you help me develop candlelit initiation rites, secret handshakes, decoder rings and such for a consultation fee?
I was just having some fun with bug, and I know you were too... I’m sure he knew that also....so not sure if you have said this in other posts but how long were you at ups and why did you leave??? What are you doing now for work, if anything???

brownIEman

I was just having some fun with bug, and I know you were too... I’m sure he knew that also....so not sure if you have said this in other posts but how long were you at ups and why did you leave??? What are you doing now for work, if anything???

I got fired for watching Queen and Taylor Swift videos on the clock. j/k :) different thread.

I was at UPS for more than 20 years and left to take care of my kids, and it was time - the level of crazy that gets ticked up a click at a time year after year so you hardly notice, I noticed had somehow gotten way past what I was willing to stomach. Not working gainfully at this point but was thinking of getting a van and become a PVD. And if the whole PVD thing gets squashed as a backup I can always live in the van down by the river and do motivational speaking here on the Cafe. :)

Gear

Parts on Order
#5- Holiday pay after 18 months is ridiculous. 12 months is to long, 18 months sounds like something a crappy non union job would offer. I thought we were past screwing the new guys.

Gimme Danger

1 I don't buy it.

Most of the union proposals are driven by bad behavior by the company in trying to reinvent the contract as they see fit. So, yes, totally reasonable.

what about the other 12 that were not presented in this letter? I assume Sean was good with those and will be pushing for you to vote yes on them.

I assume the other 12 is material for more letters. Because we'll vote No on all of those BS proposals.

Gimme Danger

Well, as long as you're being objective and reasonable and not just reacting emotionally, would you mind sharing specifics?

Since this is a topic of one our informational activities lately, take the 'Book 10' language in our supplement (Article 57). This is extremely old language, from the National master freight agreement, that allows any regular employee to limit their workday to 10 hours. The company thinks that regular employee is somehow limited by classification.
Just an example of changing an interpretation of existing language to suit their incompetence.