JCB

So I'm in the 2nd(production) week of training for feeders and I am just not sure about this whole deal. Have been with UPS for 20yrs and thought this is what I wanted. Maybe I am just so used to my normal routine I can't adjust, the potential hrs in feeder are a bit more erratic than i thought. Most worried about how it will affect my family...any advice would be great. I'm struggling!

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
Hang in there bro !!!
We all went thru what your going thu now !!
Your worst day here is nothing Ike a good day in package !!
Take it slow till
It comes to you ask all the other drivers to help you ,,, don't be Shy Get some good sleep before work and keep a positive attitude !! No. Shortcuts !!! Good lluck

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Not yet, but we did last year.

They could do that all year if they wanted...not sure why they would need to have a legal waiver

Because UPS has to file with the DOT which rule they are following.

They have filed that they are following the 60/7 rule.

Whether or not UPS can follow the 70/8 rule is very controversial. In order to follow the 70/8 rule, your company needs to work 7 days a week.

In some areas we do. But for the most part, we work 5 days a week with a small percentage working on Saturday and a minute percentage working on Sunday.

During peak, we have a large percentage of our operation working 7 days a week.

Whether or not they can go to 70/8 is a mute point. UPS has declared 60/7 so they need a waiver to switch to 70/8 during peak.

JCB

Hang in there bro !!!
We all went thru what your going thu now !!
Your worst day here is nothing Ike a good day in package !!
Take it slow till
It comes to you ask all the other drivers to help you ,,, don't be Shy Get some good sleep before work and keep a positive attitude !! No. Shortcuts !!! Good lluck
Having a real problem convincing myself I am going to be OK with working nights. Have a 2yr old at home ... day sleep is proving to be hard. And if I end up on a mid afternoon start afraid I will never see them. Feeders seems like a huge gamble. But the rest of my career in a package car is going to be horrible....but I'm good at it and the hours are more stable....???????

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
When I went into feeders, my son had just been born and my daughter came along 2 years later. I was only seeing them a few minutes in the morning and they were usually both asleep when I got home from a long day and drove the 25 minutes home while I was in package cars. I saw my kids more when I was in feeders than any other time. I had a 2000 start time, and when they got a little older, I could pick them up from school, bath time and eat dinner as a family. Might even get to tuck them in before I left for work. I never got to do that in packages. I was getting home usually between 8-9pm every night. I had a little trouble sleeping days at first. Room darkening curtains, phone unplugged in the bedroom. Strict orders not to wake me up unless the house was on fire. Even my neighbor next door wouldn't mow his grass in the mornings so he wouldn't bother me. Everybody has to make decisions, and this one is up to you. I made the best decision for me and my family, and I'd do it all over again. Put on your big boy pants and stop waffling. Good luck.

Covemastah

Great post @retiredTxfeeder
You nailed it !! I saw my kids more often to !! They were 10 & 12 ,, I missed out on them in the early yrs too ! Was also home by 8 til 9 pm on PC
I have no regrets !! Feeders is the only way to last here and if you went thru the trouble to get your license ,,, but all means try it for a year !!!

Covemastah

@JCB with 20 yrs in ,, you most likely arnt the bottom guy and will soon be able to bid a better start time !! Since your coming out now ,, you probably are considered a " borrow" and won't be able to bump anyone since your not on feeder list!
If you have enough juice after peak to secure a new job, you can bump , or just wait till February and secure a feeder bid, or bump back to p/c .
You may also try taking some Melotonin 2 hrs before bed or a couple of Tylenol pm to knock you out !!! Try stay with it till after peak ,,, it will get better ,,,,
Good luck !!!

Insaneasylum

I want to know the deal with all the contractors pulling our trailers. I was on a team run for the last 2-1/2 months and would see it all the time. Especially @ world port. I thought contractors could only be used during peak. Pisses me off seeing that when we have full time feeder drivers sitting at home because no work.

MaceFremonti

Seen a ton of contractors at NEWPA, BURMD, and BALMD over the last few weeks.....don't really remember seeing them until after Thanksgiving in years past...

104Feeder

Phoenix Feeder
Part of the problem is subcontracting grievances have to be filed at the origin. We have 30+ sitting in committee hold because National is still pissed at us for the carve out. If the rest would file and start pressuring them to hear ours (ours are first in line) it would start the snowball rolling.

Also there is a plan to collapse all the CA sleepers and use Coyote Logistics. They wanted to take ours too but they are untouchable because of an arbitrators decision.

Speaking of arbitrator's decisions, reference this stellar work by our Brothers and Sisters of Local 177 in your subcontracting grievances:

Attachments

• Newark Container Decision.pdf
    2.9 MB · Views: 291

UPS4Life

Seen a ton of contractors at NEWPA, BURMD, and BALMD over the last few weeks.....don't really remember seeing them until after Thanksgiving in years past...
You can thank harpa for that one. They cancelled a lot of runs from an off site location and are now moving them via contractors...... Oh yeah and we still have guys working in the hub.

JCB

@JCB with 20 yrs in ,, you most likely arnt the bottom guy and will soon be able to bid a better start time !! Since your coming out now ,, you probably are considered a " borrow" and won't be able to bump anyone since your not on feeder list!
If you have enough juice after peak to secure a new job, you can bump , or just wait till February and secure a feeder bid, or bump back to p/c .
You may also try taking some Melotonin 2 hrs before bed or a couple of Tylenol pm to knock you out !!! Try stay with it till after peak ,,, it will get better ,,,,
Good luck !!!
Will gain new classification date once qualified as a feeder driver and will be at the bottom of the list...for who knows how long...can request to go back to package after 2yrs if I have not been able to bid into feeders...

iamjeffaiden

As I keep reading posts here at browncafe, i see a lot of people dont have patience for seasonal drivers on here asking questions. thanks again for all of the feedback and info from each of you.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

As I keep reading posts here at browncafe, i see a lot of people dont have patience for seasonal drivers on here asking questions. thanks again for all of the feedback and info from each of you.

Our lack of patience is from those new members who don't bother using the search function before starting a new thread. Most, if not all, of your questions have most likely already been answered.

iamjeffaiden

Our lack of patience is from those new members who don't bother using the search function before starting a new thread. Most, if not all, of your questions have most likely already been answered.

you're right. i would say 3 or 4 of my questions i didnt find an answer for, but i asked all of them just in case there was updated or different information and since i was posting anyway..... lol hope no one felt time was wasted. but you're right - i see the same questions over and over as i'm reading the forums. probably gets old every fall/winter

All of your answers are right here.
giphy.gif

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
I want to know the deal with all the contractors pulling our trailers. I was on a team run for the last 2-1/2 months and would see it all the time. Especially @ world port. I thought contractors could only be used during peak. Pisses me off seeing that when we have full time feeder drivers sitting at home because no work.

The problem is that UPS could not get enough shiny wheels who are only willing to work a couple of days here and there.

They have eliminated a bunch of team runs, especially in Louky, so that these contractors would have 5 days of work.

As far as I know, there are no team drivers laid off. The only problem being is that some are stuck working the yard only getting 8 hours.