Brown Now

You have two long boxes that need to be moved from a center to a hub with a distance of two hundred miles. One is 100% ,the other is empty. You have a feeder and a broker sitting there waiting to roll. Who would you send with what?

From a logical stand point (I don't condone this) I would send the broker with the load and the brown with the empty.

You're going to burn more fuel pulling a load as well as be exposed to more liability (cost of cargo) then pulling an empty. Should there be loss of cargo due to an accident, fire, theft etc., the brokers insurance pays, if it's a brown, UPS eats it.

I don't want to see this but it is shrewd if not at least logical. Again, I don't want to see this, but you can see the reasoning behind it if that is indeed the case.

104Feeder

Phoenix Feeder
Misinformed? No. Allowing and facilitating? How? So please inform me oh knowledgeable one! We have very little sleeper runs in my area and none out of our building. So tell me who allowed them to cut sleeper runs and hand them over to independents? From what retiredTXfeeder says it seems they may have cut their own throat. Attitude? That's funny. I can work my 60 if I want why would I care if I'm pulling an empty back or a load? Please tell me. Every feeder driver on our list is working and they still ask some to work a 6th day(and a few do) so please explain to me again my attitude?
Hey you're only harming yourself, and if you have some problem with me that's no sweat off my back. Here we file every time they use subcontractors and we win more Feeder jobs. The company has an obligation to adequately train and staff for Peak under the Contract and every time they fail to properly plan. You're cutting your own throat allowing it to go on without filing. So you don't have sleepers, you are missing out on runs you could bid on for peak and keeping one of your brothers or sisters slaving away in package when they could be doing a sweet Feeder run instead. If that makes you sleep well at night then good for you.

104Feeder

Phoenix Feeder
Shutting down the sleeper teams for peak sets a bad precedent. It makes it easier to do it again and in different parts of the country.
Our hub did a sneaky thing when they had the dispatch drivers bid for peak runs. We thought we were bidding on longer runs with pickups/shifting/wad added to round out the shift but we're really just pu/shift/wad with an occasional pull that takes us out of town. We still get all the hours we want but not doing what we bid on. Not all runs are affected because pu/shift/wad is what some bid on. Anybody have a similar experience or am I just delusional?

They have our backups shifting in the yard while Swift takes trailers to/from an outside lot and the rail yard. With the 177 Arbitration this should produce a hefty monetary penalty plus mass training for next year. Hopefully your area is taking the same approach.

104Feeder

Phoenix Feeder
For a Owner Operator A dollar a mile was good pay 20 years ago. Today you cant make it on that. But if they are running local then it's good pay. With the 70 hour rule that we are doing now they could put on solo sleeper trucks.

These are 2012 numbers but they are pretty dismal for non-UPS drivers. Median, for the statistically challenged, means that it is the value separating the higher and lower half of a sample, a value exactly in the middle. Not the same thing as the average, though it can be the same value.
http://www.bls.gov/ooh/transportati...g/heavy-and-tractor-trailer-truck-drivers.htm

Bottom rung

You have two long boxes that need to be moved from a center to a hub with a distance of two hundred miles. One is 100% ,the other is empty. You have a feeder and a broker sitting there waiting to roll. Who would you send with what?

From a logical stand point (I don't condone this) I would send the broker with the load and the brown with the empty.

You're going to burn more fuel pulling a load as well as be exposed to more liability (cost of cargo) then pulling an empty. Should there be loss of cargo due to an accident, fire, theft etc., the brokers insurance pays, if it's a brown, UPS eats it.

I don't want to see this but it is shrewd if not at least logical. Again, I don't want to see this, but you can see the reasoning behind it if that is indeed the case.
We're professionals. Let brown pull the load, give that empty to that scab. We'll get the load delivered on time. We don't know the last time the scab slept or had a restart that wasn't fudged with his two log books. If the scab drives in the ditch with that empty is barely a blip on the radar. Have him drive into the ditch with a hot load and that's a mess nobody from a center manager to a sales rep wants to deal with. We got where we are with our service. Let's keep it that way.

deeznutz

We're professionals. Let brown pull the load, give that empty to that scab. We'll get the load delivered on time. We don't know the last time the scab slept or had a restart that wasn't fudged with his two log books. If the scab drives in the ditch with that empty is barely a blip on the radar. Have him drive into the ditch with a hot load and that's a mess nobody from a center manager to a sales rep wants to deal with. We got where we are with our service. Let's keep it that way.
Pride, I like it!

Johney

Hey you're only harming yourself, and if you have some problem with me that's no sweat off my back. Here we file every time they use subcontractors and we win more Feeder jobs. The company has an obligation to adequately train and staff for Peak under the Contract and every time they fail to properly plan. You're cutting your own throat allowing it to go on without filing. So you don't have sleepers, you are missing out on runs you could bid on for peak and keeping one of your brothers or sisters slaving away in package when they could be doing a sweet Feeder run instead. If that makes you sleep well at night then good for you.
Contractors are running loads out of of our hubs(there are only three in our state). I don't work out of a hub. Sleeper runs are from the hubs,again we don't have them.Never have.To be honest the last two peaks they have added more runs then have ever been out of our building so I'm really not sure what we could file for as you say. So you're saying it's better to get a load from a gypsy (and do more work when I get back) as opposed to letting them take the first long box(that hasn't even been started to be loaded)while I WAIT for the second one and work just as many hours? Sorry pal I'd much rather sit at the hub and maybe do a shift or two(if that)and take a nap or screw around on my phone. Much better. The only problem I have with you is you seem, to think you know it all and you may where you're at, just not here. Seems our local is MUCH better than yours as we get our hours. And I sleep just fine, although not at night. Enjoy your holiday hope you make a ton of extra cash filing.

MaceFremonti

At least I am at the front of the line.

Attachments

• 1450816640845.jpg
    1450816640845.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 360

MoarTape

Go the back when leaving NewPA. They're saying it'll be shut down in both directions until at least 6..

Attachments

• 1450819709858.jpg
    1450819709858.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 379

MaceFremonti

So sleeper team drops my.load st NEWPA....supposedly in the 400 section...nada....find it 30 minutes later on the ramp to the 800 section.....rear.glad hand broken off.....and ZERO brakes.....sigh....just another day at UP $

FeeDerp

High winds in South Dakota...they look so peaceful sleeping like that....

hXraWLQ.jpg

Ya can't park on the left shoulder like that when the wind is coming from that direction. If your gunna park it, park it on the side of the road that leans into the wind, the right shoulder in this case

trickpony1

I'm confused.....

Who said they were parked?

Left shoulder? The roads I travel have very little, if any, "left shoulder". Parking on your "left shoulder" would entail partially blocking the fast lane which, I think, is illegal.

FeeDerp

Not to mention they are all in a perfect line, almost as if they were.....parked behind each other.

I think that's more plausible than all of these trucks rolling down the hammer lane and flipping all at the same time roughly the same distance from each other