silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
I just got qualified but am having a hard time picking up all the codes and figuring out how to use that computer in the truck. Like as soon as I arrive at a terminal I'm supposed to go to other work right ?
Ask your on road supervisor. Thats their job to make sure your timecard is accurate

brownburro

I still use the 5 seeing habits all these years later. Especially when on the motorcycle. Leaving myself an out and getting the big picture has saved my butt a few times.
This is totally true. The seeing habits definitely get amplified on the bike.

P

pickup

I still use the 5 seeing habits all these years later. Especially when on the motorcycle. Leaving myself an out and getting the big picture has saved my butt a few times.

I think you left before they introduced the "5 being habits".

I'm not kidding.

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
I just got qualified but am having a hard time picking up all the codes and figuring out how to use that computer in the truck. Like as soon as I arrive at a terminal I'm supposed to go to other work right ?

Where I am you usually stay on TA. They want us to take 30 minutes on some yards if the TA time is long.

There are a few drivers who told me to charge time to central sort at certain hubs, but it was never explained to me and most where I am do no not.

Ask other drivers from your hub and see how they do it.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!

No. But I would ask your sup how they handle it in your area. If you want to know how it's supposed to be done, continue reading.

When you get to a terminal, you hit inbound. This is referred to as TA (turn around) on your schedule. You do not got to other work. You drop your trailer(s) and hook up to your outbound trailer(s) while you are on TA. Key in your trailer numbers, equipment handled and then leave.

You have time credit built in to your schedule to account for the time it takes you to do this. Here, I know it varies everywhere, we get around 40 minutes to drop a set, hook up a set and leave.

So you should be on TA for 40 minutes and then leave.

If you do something other than drop your set and hook your set and leave, you then go to other work. This will account for any extra property time beyond your allotted 40 minutes.

For example,

1. If you take your meal or break, you would go to other work and then code your meal or break time. You would show on property longer than the scheduled 40 minutes, but the extra time is accounted for.

2. If you are required to shift for a period of time, you would go to other work and code your shift time or use shiftcom.

3. If you have a breakdown, you would go to other work and code in the breakdown time. Again, you would show on property longer than the scheduled 40 minutes, but the extra time is accounted for.

4. If your loads are not ready, you would go to other work and then code the time to sort or delay, depending how your area does it. This is supposed code your down time to the sort, not feeders.

The other work accounts for what you did, if anything, beyond dropping your trailer(s) and hooking your trailer(s).

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
Every individual feeder management team pencil whips the numbers in their own unique way. Ask your ORS. Don't ask dispatch as they have different numbers to meet. Ask the guy who is your immediate boss and do what he says.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Does anyone have a paper time card they could snap a picture of and put it on here so we reference it to our own when we are off the ivis and running paper logs... Maybe just put a couple turns and a meal and breaks...much appreciated

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
Does anyone have a paper time card they could snap a picture of and put it on here so we reference it to our own when we are off the ivis and running paper logs... Maybe just put a couple turns and a meal and breaks...much appreciated
doesn't dispatch have instructions printed out for your time card? it's pretty much the same for paper and ivis.

they gave us some. it's really easy. only takes a couple days to get it down.

SW ( start work ) put in trailer info. can also combine WA ( wash ) and FL ( fuel) on same line.

LV ( leave )

TA ( turn around )

LV

B ( break )
M ( meal ) these can be before or after TA

LV

BOR ( breakdown on road ) or ( BOP ) breakdown on property if you go to shop.

B

FW ( finish work at your home base ) can also have WA and FL on same line.

you should carry paper time cards on you ( and they list all the functions in the corner ) in case your IVIS goes down. also paper log book too for same reason.

the paper time card is pretty self explanatory. it has a slot for everything. the IVIS won't let you proceed unless you fill out required fields.

hope this helps.someone will probably post a pic of an actual time card filled out.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
doesn't dispatch have instructions printed out for your time card? it's pretty much the same for paper and ivis.

they gave us some. it's really easy. only takes a couple days to get it down.

SW ( start work ) put in trailer info. can also combine WA ( wash ) and FL ( fuel) on same line.

LV ( leave )

TA ( turn around )

LV

B ( break )
M ( meal ) these can be before or after TA

LV

BOR ( breakdown on road ) or ( BOP ) breakdown on property if you go to shop.

B

FW ( finish work at your home base ) can also have WA and FL on same line.

you should carry paper time cards on you ( and they list all the functions in the corner ) in case your IVIS goes down. also paper log book too for same reason.

the paper time card is pretty self explanatory. it has a slot for everything. the IVIS won't let you proceed unless you fill out required fields.

hope this helps.someone will probably post a pic of an actual time card filled out.
So do you put your inbound and outbound moves for handling in ta???

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
So where do you put equipment handling under ta???why couldn't they just use arrive and leave....ta seems a little wierd
on the ta line you put 1 and 1 or 2 and i or just 1 meaning you handled 1 trailer and 1 dolly or 2 trailers and 1 dolly or just 1 trailer. is that what you mean by handling?

Coldworld

60 months and counting
on the ta line you put 1 and 1 or 2 and i or just 1 meaning you handled 1 trailer and 1 dolly or 2 trailers and 1 dolly or just 1 trailer. is that what you mean by handling?
Ok.. On the ta line...if I bring in something and take something out do both inbound and outbound equipment handling go on TA??

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
Did they not make you go on paper for feeder school? We had to do time cards and logbooks for each day and were instructed to keep copies for future reference.

Time cards are so easy...don't over think it.

SW1800 write slic down on same line

LV 1841 this takes two lines for a set, second trailer goes beneath so you can fill out sort and other load info. Don't forget the outbound 2/1 for trailers and dolly, also write the last 3 digits of odometer.

B 0015 this would be a break before your TA write the 3 odometer numbers.

TA or LV 0025 gets you off break and back on the road.

TA write new slic, last 3 of odometer 2/1 on inbound for trailers and dolly

LV is starting over just like your first leg.

If you're doing a log book be sure these match up. Also remember to have dispatch print out 7 days of logs to carry with you.

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
You have to write your trailer numbers and dolly on your time card so they know what equipment your handling

Attachments

• 1469515341365.jpg
    1469515341365.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 328

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
You have to write your trailer numbers and dolly on your time card so they know what equipment your handling

Nope.

Writing your trailer numbers and dolly numbers has nothing to do with epuipment handled.

It shows which trailers you pulled and how much extra time you get for your pre-trip.

If you only had 1 trailer, you get less time allowance than if you had 2 trailers.

Writing your trailers down does not show whether your set was already built or if you had to build it. Different time allowance. This is what the equipment handled screen, or column, is for.