Coldworld

60 months and counting
Yes I meant the handvavle. When check my lights I use it to make sure the brake lights work but on some setups like I said it just pops back. Now if I push in both red and yellow it seemed to stay on but I didn't like the idea of walking behind the trailer with just that hand valve down. I wasn't sure if that would secure it.
You try just pushing in the red button??

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Yes I meant the handvavle. When check my lights I use it to make sure the brake lights work but on some setups like I said it just pops back. Now if I push in both red and yellow it seemed to stay on but I didn't like the idea of walking behind the trailer with just that hand valve down. I wasn't sure if that would secure it.
Do not ever, for any reason, get out of the tractor with both those buttons pushed in.

Pickles

yes. all paid time goes against your 60 hours. it's considered on duty time.
we got paid for the time plus mileage pay for our using our personal vehicle.

Funny, they only pay us mileage for personal vehicle, not hourly for driving our own vehicle. Is there wording in the contract about this?

govols019

You smell that?
Also when taking a empty that's not in your ivis do you have to call dispatch or if you put it in your ivis do they get a report and push it through ?

If you put the trailer number in the IVIS and dispatch doesn't send you a schedule update before you get to the gate then you are "supposed" to call it out.

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
How come sometimes when I want to check my brake lights on trailer the "Jake brake" won't stay engaged? Do both handvavles have to be in? If yes is it secure to check the rear lights without the vavles engaged ?

That lever is sometimes called by another name, a Johnson bar. That will probably be your favorite name ever!

trickpony1

The older hand levers used to have "not to be used for parking" printed on the handle.

The hand lever is used to secure your trailer when you back under it and to provide brakes, so your truck doesn't roll, at stop lights. Nothing else.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
Yes but it wouldn't hold.

Sounds like the air wasn’t built up enough to hold the trailer brakes. When you’re doing your pre-trip, and you set your brakes, meaning red valve (trailer brakes) in and hand valve engaged (valve down), you ALWAYS keep your yellow valve (tractor brakes) pulled out.

Anytime you step out of that tractor, always, ALWAYS, pull the yellow valve out, setting the tractor brakes. If you don’t, you’re gonna have a rollaway.

With very few exceptions, the only time your red valve will be out is when you are getting ready to separate from the trailer.

When you’re doing a pre-trip, the red valve is in, yellow valve is out and the hand valve is down. You do this for three reasons.

One, yellow valve out, to keep your equipment secure, because the tractor brakes are on.

Two, red valve in, turning on the air to the red lines, which controls the trailer brakes. You do this to check for air leaks on the red glad hands, lines and brake chambers.

Three, you drop (set) the hand valve, which is part of your service lines, same as your brake pedal. These are your blue lines and blue glad hands. This engages the trailer brakes and all of your brake lights. This lets you check for air leaks in your blue glad hands and lines, and your brake lights.

The hand valve is also used for your very last check, which is, you put it in drive, drive forward a few feet and drop it. This is to check that your trailer brakes are working. Your trailers should abruptly stop. If they slowly stop, you can still drive with them, but they should be red-tagged when you get where you’re going as, “slack adjusters need adjusting.” If the trailers don’t stop at all, then, obviously, your trailer brakes aren’t working, and you need to go to shop.

One more redundancy an old-timer showed me, is during the pre-trip, when you’re at the back trailer, turn on both of your valves below the the glad hand connections. You should hear air hissing. If not, you forgot to turn on your air, either in the cab, or at the front trailer.

I do this all by muscle memory, but typing it, I’m hoping I haven’t overlooked anything. But just remember, yellow valve out, red valve in and hand valve down. And if your hand valve won’t stay down, write it up.

Dracula

And when I say if you dont pull your yellow valve when you leave the tractor every time, I mean as a rule. When you’re pre-tripping, and the hand valve is down, nothing is going to move while you are hooked up. I’m referring in general. When you stop on the road, you don’t pull your red valve, only the yellow. If you forget it then, it could get ugly.

Just keep it in your head, opening the door, make sure that yellow valve is pulled.

trickpony1

Inde needs to print post #4159 and read it numerous times while he's waiting in the yard.

We don't want a thread by Inde entitled, "I had a roll away and got fired...what should I do?".

I use the seatbelt to hold the hand lever down.

Dracula

Some tractors I drove, the hand valve wouldn't stay engaged unless you went all the way down.

And almost all rentals won’t hold. They have that “test light” button, which cycles through all of your lights, like the new KWs. Except that won’t let you detect a leak in the service lines.