Asked to start before scheduled start time?

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
And that right there is what apparently confuses the hell out of my BA.

The way I read it is you should get 7 hours regular and 2 hours of OT in this scenario.

Nope. Overtime will not be pyramided.

You get the OT for the 1 hour early start, but you then have to work 8 hours at straight time before you are paid OT again.

Work 9 hours with a 1 hour early start gives you 8 hours straight time and 1 hour OT.

Work 8 hours with a 1 hour early start give you 7 hours straight time and 1 hour OT.

Work 10 hours with a 1 hour early start gives you 8 hours straight time and 2 hours OT. Technically, you are getting OT for the 1 hour early start and then straight time for the next 8 hours and then 1 hour OT again for your 10th hour.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
Right. It basically only matters, pay wise, if you work under 8 hours. Otherwise, in general, an early start just starts your OT after 8 hours earlier by the time your started early. In easier words, if your normal start time is 9AM, and you start early at 8:30AM, your OT would start at 5PM, instead of 5:30PM, per normal. But as many others have stated, outside of UpstateNYer, very few drivers work less than 8HRs, so it just starts OT earlier.

But the same rule, where I'm at, applies to part-timers too, and since the company treats PT OT like the plague, an early start for PT's can definitely work to their benefit.