Biden Order: Govt Net 0 emission electricity used by 2030

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
I believe that the main reason gas prices have doubled in the last year is because the government want the lemmings to agree that electric vehicles are the only way to go.
Not me. I like hearing my 550hp dodge ram make loud exhaust noises and watching the smoke roll into the driver's window of that underpowered Prius.
WTF would drive one of those things anyway?
The tree-huggers want very high fuel prices. The higher the better.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Lol. You know who makes fun of electric vehicle performance? People who’ve never ridden in an electric vehicle.

Once battery technology catches up, I’m pretty sure people will rethink their distaste for electric vehicles.
So you're pretty sure that when they don't suck, people will like them more. Truly insightful prediction.

quad decade guy

Lol. You know who makes fun of electric vehicle performance? People who’ve never ridden in an electric vehicle.

Once battery technology catches up, I’m pretty sure people will rethink their distaste for electric vehicles.
You mean 5 minute charging? Equivalent to gasoline fueling?

I think you would see hoards of electric vehicles of all kinds everywhere.....if they were practical and cheaper. It's not "distaste"....it's usability/practicality.

Your comments don't reflect reality. Just about any gasoline combustion engine vehicle can be refueled in a matter of minutes. This isn't remotely possible for just about ANY electric vehicle.

5 minute charging and on the go charging(while driving) is the only way electric vehicles have a chance. This technology is not even on the near horizon. Our entire way of life and infrastructure is geared to ICE...worldwide. Even our most advanced spaceships......use fuel.

bbsam

Staff member
and he admits they aren't practical yet
Absolutely. Not at all practical. But the performance is an insane rush.

But I think people believing that the needed battery tech is decades away are not considering recent history. How quickly have batteries evolved since cell phones became popular? And with every single auto company focused on and investing billions in such technology, I’d say that tech comes sooner rather than later.

And let’s be clear, I don’t give a damn about earth friendly or not. I’m strictly talking about 1000hp/1500lb/ft tq electric motors that shred tires chew pavement. When people demand the performance and automakers scramble for market share, battery companies will do the same.

This isn’t government mandate stuff. It’s free market enterprise with literally trillions of dollars at stake.

oldngray

nowhere special
Absolutely. Not at all practical. But the performance is an insane rush.

But I think people believing that the needed battery tech is decades away are not considering recent history. How quickly have batteries evolved since cell phones became popular? And with every single auto company focused on and investing billions in such technology, I’d say that tech comes sooner rather than later.

And let’s be clear, I don’t give a damn about earth friendly or not. I’m strictly talking about 1000hp/1500lb/ft tq electric motors that shred tires chew pavement. When people demand the performance and automakers scramble for market share, battery companies will do the same.

This isn’t government mandate stuff. It’s free market enterprise with literally trillions of dollars at stake.
It is absolutely government mandate stuff. Instead of waiting for the technology to mature enough they are trying to force it on people now.

bbsam

Staff member
It is absolutely government mandate stuff. Instead of waiting for the technology to mature enough they are trying to force it on people now.
You think they are forcing Ford, Chevy, Toyota, Nissan, and Dodge into developing technology that is going to pay off in billions of dollars and maintaining or gaining market share?

Any auto exec that isn’t fully onboard with it strictly from a performance aspect should be immediately fired and banned from the industry.

oldngray

nowhere special
You think they are forcing Ford, Chevy, Toyota, Nissan, and Dodge into developing technology that is going to pay off in billions of dollars and maintaining or gaining market share?

Any auto exec that isn’t fully onboard with it strictly from a performance aspect should be immediately fired and banned from the industry.
Look at the title of this thread again.

What'dyabringmetoday???

Not sure what that has to do with my comment that you quoted. Did I mention anything about electric vehicles? I don't believe so.

bbsam

Staff member
Look at the title of this thread again.
Right. And auto execs don’t care because the electric vehicle is the key to cuter performance bragging rights. They MIGHT put a commercial out about brain earth friendly blah blah blah…

But that’s not what’s going to sell the electric vehicles. Performance will though.

What'dyabringmetoday???

So is that fact or opinion? I'm just curious.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Haven’t ridden in a Tesla, eh? That’s ok.

But numbers don’t lie.

Yes, I've driven a model S.
I'm not a fan.

I'm also not really sure what your link had to do with my post. Why the hell would I care how fast my car gets to 60mph? I haven't driven my car over 45mph in years.

bbsam

Staff member
So is that fact or opinion? I'm just curious.
Likely opinion. Probably more fact than some would think.

Could you imagine being a Vice President of Ford and cutting off all electric vehicle funding tomorrow? Could you imagine ceding all that potential to other auto makers? Do you think you’d keep your job? If you got fired, do you think GM would hire you the next day?

Like I said, trillions at stake and no one in the industry cares about a government mandate since the industry has been sprinting in that direction anyway.

Lineandinitial

Legio patria nostra
Electric vehicles are a pain in the ass and very very temperamental in terms of speed and racing. At Bonneville this year, there were a few and the crew spent most of their time with umbrella's and ice trying to cool the batteries. They were dangerous because the batteries exploded a few times. PLUS!!! You couldn't tell they were on the course because they're silent (except gearbox whine)...

bbsam

Staff member
Yes, I've driven a model S.
I'm not a fan.

I'm also not really sure what your link had to do with my post. Why the hell would I care how fast my car gets to 60mph? I haven't driven my car over 45mph in years.
Maybe you wouldn’t. Car and truck buyers tend to love that kind of thing. You’ll never see a Toyota advertising that it makes 38hp less than a comparable Ford.