Biden Order: Govt Net 0 emission electricity used by 2030

bbsam

Staff member
Electric vehicles are a pain in the ass and very very temperamental in terms of speed and racing. At Bonneville this year, there were a few and the crew spent most of their time with umbrella's and ice trying to cool the batteries. They were dangerous because the batteries exploded a few times. PLUS!!! You couldn't tell they were on the course because they're silent (except gearbox whine)...
Agreed. And engineers the world over are clamoring to change that.

BlackFriday

Please remove my account. This forum sucks.
I love going fast especially going fast fast. I'd love to feel the seat of the pants feel from a Tesla. In reality an electric car should always beat ANY other commonly fueled vehicle. Turn up an electric motor and it's 100% torque which should shred tires in seconds and I like that. Don't know why but I do. I could never trust myself in any really fast car. No self control.
My main issue is that, I don't think, we know all about the long term. Nobody comes through with data for battery life or disposal. Just anecdotal garbage. Another huge problem is that the Chinese are doing everything they can to take over the world's lithium producing areas. This is a huge concern imo.
Elon musk is amazing however. We should be able to agree on this.

What'dyabringmetoday???

Likely opinion. Probably more fact than some would think.

Could you imagine being a Vice President of Ford and cutting off all electric vehicle funding tomorrow? Could you imagine ceding all that potential to other auto makers? Do you think you’d keep your job? If you got fired, do you think GM would hire you the next day?

Like I said, trillions at stake and no one in the industry cares about a government mandate since the industry has been sprinting in that direction anyway.
I'm talking about your comment that "execs" should be fired.

Lineandinitial

Legio patria nostra
Agreed. And engineers the world over are clamoring to change that.
Stored energy is not the direction that needs to be developed.
LI-ion / AL-ion batteries will never be capable of sustaining long flights / travels....

All stored energy compounds are VERY unstable when heated and that negates their use in Commercial applications.

bbsam

Staff member
Stored energy is not the direction that needs to be developed.
LI-ion / AL-ion batteries will never be capable of sustaining long flights / travels....

All stored energy compounds are VERY unstable when heated and that negates their use in Commercial applications.
And engineers have never had to deal with heat mitigation in the practical expenditure of energy? I think there’s an entire scientific discipline devoted to it. Thermodynamics maybe? It’s an old problem with new wrinkles perhaps requiring different strategies. To say “never” seems so defeatist to me.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
How many acres would have to be planted with trees to offset the worlds fossil fuel energy production? And what is the cost? You have to include China and India too even though they are going with cheap coal.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
For various reasons, carbon offsets tend to primarily focus on forest offsets, forest and land. And that’s where the real problem is, because continuing to dig up and burn fossil fuels and emitting fossil fuel emissions into the atmosphere, and then removing these by growing forests doesn’t actually reduce atmospheric emissions or atmospheric concentrations over a century-long time scale.

Kate Dooley
Research Fellow of Melbourne University

Lineandinitial

Legio patria nostra
And engineers have never had to deal with heat mitigation in the practical expenditure of energy? I think there’s an entire scientific discipline devoted to it. Thermodynamics maybe? It’s an old problem with new wrinkles perhaps requiring different strategies. To say “never” seems so defeatist to me.
LOL… You obviously don’t know what you’re talking about.
Thermo relates to heat and my comment regards chemical reactions and inefficient storage of energy as a means to propel vehicles.
You’re confused.
True scientists and engineers ( who you seem enthralled with) know when the train is on the wrong track and we say: “Don’t waste your time on this, work on this instead”…
Power needs to be created not stored…

bbsam

Staff member
LOL… You obviously don’t know what you’re talking about.
Thermo relates to heat and my comment regards chemical reactions and inefficient storage of energy as a means to propel vehicles.
You’re confused.
True scientists and engineers ( who you seem enthralled with) know when the train is on the wrong track and we say: “Don’t waste your time on this, work on this instead”…
Power needs to be created not stored…
Wow. I’m afraid it you who doesn’t understand the very basis of energy consumption in any form whatsoever.

Yes. Thermo refers to heat. And heat mitigation is primary in every propulsion system. Heat is simply a byproduct of energy consumption and when not properly channeled can be catastrophic.

So it seems that you’ve found a problem that nobody’s thought of that dooms electric vehicles. Would you be surprised that there are actually brilliant minds searching for that solution?

As I said before, heat mitigation has always been an issue to be dealt with. The fact that batteries get hot? Yes. That holds in line with the laws of thermodynamics.

Lineandinitial

Legio patria nostra
Wow. I’m afraid it you who doesn’t understand the very basis of energy consumption in any form whatsoever.

Yes. Thermo refers to heat. And heat mitigation is primary in every propulsion system. Heat is simply a byproduct of energy consumption and when not properly channeled can be catastrophic.

So it seems that you’ve found a problem that nobody’s thought of that dooms electric vehicles. Would you be surprised that there are actually brilliant minds searching for that solution?

As I said before, heat mitigation has always been an issue to be dealt with. The fact that batteries get hot? Yes. That holds in line with the laws of thermodynamics.
I won’t waste my time with your ignorance.
You’re incapable of understanding that you don’t understand.