Big announcement coming in Jan

bacha29

By the way FedEx pays for things like unions in Europe by not paying Express in the U.S. better. Don't know how long you've been with FedEx, but for decades now they pay for what one group gets by taking from another group. And since Express couriers are by far the single biggest group of employees they're the ones who've lost the most.
Because with no union there is nothing to STOP them from making Express employees suffer the most.

vantexan

Because with no union there is nothing to STOP them from making Express employees suffer the most.
You still haven't explained how the union will get all that you assume it will for the employees out of the profit FedEx makes. If they were clearing $10 Billion+ a year go get a better deal if you can get around the RLA. But half a billion? 2 billion? Not even close.

bacha29

You still haven't explained how the union will get all that you assume it will for the employees out of the profit FedEx makes. If they were clearing $10 Billion+ a year go get a better deal if you can get around the RLA. But half a billion? 2 billion? Not even close.
I'm not assuming anything . Just my belief in collective bargaining and the right to do so.

dezguy

And you got a 2% raise this year because they aren't so far making the money they thought with TNT. I have no idea what kind of pay and benefits those unionized workers are getting, but I do know U.S. Express is by far the biggest division, and they've held down pay and stripped benefits for everything else they do. By the way those unions over there are on a country by country basis. There is no Railroad Labor Act governing them. And it still begs the question, if getting a union in will accelerate the time it takes to top out similar to UPS, and pay is similar to UPS, and healthcare is paid for for the immediate family, and pensions are very generous like UPS, where's the money coming from? Their profit is what they have left over after paying for everything now. It in no way can pay for all of that. They can't print money. So where's it coming from?
Nope I got a 2.5% raise.

They've held down pay and stripped benefits because they can. They know there is no way employees in the US can unionize. It's an easy target.

Why do you keep presuming pay and benefits would be similar or on par with UPS? I haven't seen one person on this board demanding UPS pay or benefits. We all know they are the standard bearer for the industry.

vantexan

I'm not assuming anything . Just my belief in collective bargaining and the right to do so.
More power to unions and collective bargaining. But that's not a guarantee you'd get what you want if the money isn't there. Some here were saying get the union in and get much, much better pay and benefits.

vantexan

Nope I got a 2.5% raise.

They've held down pay and stripped benefits because they can. They know there is no way employees in the US can unionize. It's an easy target.

Why do you keep presuming pay and benefits would be similar or on par with UPS? I haven't seen one person on this board demanding UPS pay or benefits. We all know they are the standard bearer for the industry.
I've seen numerous times people saying if UPS can pay that we can too. MrFedEx years ago was demanding equal pay with UPS. Used to say "Same job, different trucks" all the time. And when I bring it up that a union won't get you UPS type pay and benefits I'm told I'm wrong. I can say it until I'm blue in the face that I want everyone to make much better pay and have good benefits and a real retirement. I just don't see how the company can do that with the money they have left over after all other expenses. Because that's where it will come from.

dezguy

I've seen numerous times people saying if UPS can pay that we can too. MrFedEx years ago was demanding equal pay with UPS. Used to say "Same job, different trucks" all the time. And when I bring it up that a union won't get you UPS type pay and benefits I'm told I'm wrong. I can say it until I'm blue in the face that I want everyone to make much better pay and have good benefits and a real retirement. I just don't see how the company can do that with the money they have left over after all other expenses. Because that's where it will come from.
So a couple people say they want UPS pay and benefits and that means that's what we all expect? (I doubt very many people here are in lockstep with mfe)

The biggest reason people want a union is so they know they'll get to top out within a decade, as opposed to maybe by the end of your career, like now.

vantexan

So a couple people say they want UPS pay and benefits and that means that's what we all expect? (I doubt very many people here are in lockstep with mfe)

The biggest reason people want a union is so they know they'll get to top out within a decade, as opposed to maybe by the end of your career, like now.
Sorry, didn't survey everyone in the company first, just gave my opinion and was attacked for it.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Again, Fred went out and bought multinational company he knew was fully unionized.

Please tell me again how he can't afford for North American employees to be unionized but can afford to have all European employees unionized as well as all the TNT employees who became employees of FedEx?

The purchase of TNT included existing revenue streams that are sufficient to support those unionized employees. Why is this so hard to comprehend?

dezguy

The purchase of TNT included existing revenue streams that are sufficient to support those unionized employees. Why is this so hard to comprehend?
TNT was a primarily ground based operation. They have been absorbed into a primarily air based operation that ultimately costs more to run. TNTs customer base expects to pay a fraction of what Express charges because TNT charged less than what Express does.

So, knowing they would lose customers who previously chose TNT, because they wouldn't be willing to pay Express prices, the company went ahead with the purchase anyways.

Did TNT come with revenue streams, absolutely. Are those revenue streams still there, knowing that TNT charged $5 a package while Express is charging $15?

59 Dano

TNT was a primarily ground based operation. They have been absorbed into a primarily air based operation that ultimately costs more to run. TNTs customer base expects to pay a fraction of what Express charges because TNT charged less than what Express does.

So, knowing they would lose customers who previously chose TNT, because they wouldn't be willing to pay Express prices, the company went ahead with the purchase anyways.

Did TNT come with revenue streams, absolutely. Are those revenue streams still there, knowing that TNT charged $5 a package while Express is charging $15?

You asked how they could afford to pay those guys what they pay them. I told you. Can't help you with the rest of your speculation and assumptions.

dezguy

You asked how they could afford to pay those guys what they pay them. I told you. Can't help you with the rest of your speculation and assumptions.
And I'm telling you FedEx knew what TNTs rates were, that their employees were unionized and bought them anyways. FedEx knew they would lose customers who refused to pay Express rates after paying lower TNT rates, yet bought them anyways and proclaimed it was a great opportunity.

bacha29

You still don't get it. You keep talking about certain dollars and cents. The over riding issue is the RIGHT to pursue those financial gains. When companies launch organized attempts to suppress efforts to organize it's not about the dollars and cents, it's about the first order of business and that is employees first gaining the RIGHT to decide if they want to form a union or to join an existing one.

59 Dano

And I'm telling you FedEx knew what TNTs rates were, that their employees were unionized and bought them anyways. FedEx knew they would lose customers who refused to pay Express rates after paying lower TNT rates, yet bought them anyways and proclaimed it was a great opportunity.

OK. Like I said, you're on your own with the assumptions. TNT has a ground service and an overnight service that resembles FedEx Express here in the states. I don't know where you get the idea that there's this huge price increase for the same service under a new name and that customers are leaving in droves because of it.

vantexan

You still don't get it. You keep talking about certain dollars and cents. The over riding issue is the RIGHT to pursue those financial gains. When companies launch organized attempts to suppress efforts to organize it's not about the dollars and cents, it's about the first order of business and that is employees first gaining the RIGHT to decide if they want to form a union or to join an existing one.
And as I said, more power to them getting a union. Just don't believe getting a union will give you most everything you want. At the end of the day if the money isn't there it won't hapoen.

vantexan

Have you considered FedEx may have screwed up buying them? Buying TNT probably gave FedEx a network that allows them to expand in more markets.

59 Dano

Have you considered FedEx may have screwed up buying them? Buying TNT probably gave FedEx a network that allows them to expand in more markets.

He thinks TNT was giving the service away and that FedEx jacked up the rates and scared everyone off.

bacha29

And as I said, more power to them getting a union. Just don't believe getting a union will give you most everything you want. At the end of the day if the money isn't there it won't hapoen.
Nobody ever said they would . The focus is still the RIGHT to pursue what it believes to be a just return on their labor.