Big announcement coming in Jan

bacha29

I agree with you 100% but the line of reasoning here is that a union would give pay and benefits comparable to UPS and the only thing keeping that from happening is a lack of a union because FedEx has plenty of money to do so.
For a company as poor as you seem to think X is they always seem to have no trouble finding money to pay for it's anti union efforts and activities.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
For a company as poor as you seem to think X is they always seem to have no trouble finding money to pay for it's anti union efforts and activities.

Because if they can't afford a nine figure increase in compensation, they shouldn't be able to afford anti-union posters for the breakrooms!

bacha29

Is that enough to give everyone $40hr after 4 years and great benefits?
Would you turn it down if offered to you? I doubt it. Moreover, if the market will bear it and judging by UPS's recent performance compared to that of X it can bear it then why all the hand wringing and apologies on your part?

vantexan

Would you turn it down if offered to you? I doubt it. Moreover, if the market will bear it and judging by UPS's recent performance compared to that of X it can bear it then why all the hand wringing and apologies on your part?
Who's hand wringing and apologizing? I get tired of seeing some of you guys get people's hopes up by stating things that are clearly not possible. And I know some sincerely believe it's possible. You on the other hand don't have a clue about Express and make statements that clearly demonstrate it. Horse hockey artist.

bacha29

Who's hand wringing and apologizing? I get tired of seeing some of you guys get people's hopes up by stating things that are clearly not possible. And I know some sincerely believe it's possible. You on the other hand don't have a clue about Express and make statements that clearly demonstrate it. Horse hockey artist.
But out of you it's always that the company can't do this, can't do that and can't do something else over and over again. How do you know what it can and can't do when it's never been challenged by the workforce or any other party for that matter?

vantexan

But out of you it's always that the company can't do this, can't do that and can't do something else over and over again. How do you know what it can and can't do when it's never been challenged by the workforce or any other party for that matter?
I'm pointing out the obvious. What they have left over in profit can't possibly pay for what employees think they ought to get. No matter how many times someone says well, UPS does it, it doesn't change the fixed expenses FedEx has to transport most of it's freight by air. You can't literally force the square peg into the round hole. I can say unequivocally that FedEx management is greedy, and willing to exploit employees to make money. But a lot of that is they don't have a lot of cushion to give everything everyone wants. They are also trying to make Wall Street happy, shareholders happy, customers happy. But they could care less about former Ground contractors with axes to grind.

bacha29

I'm pointing out the obvious. What they have left over in profit can't possibly pay for what employees think they ought to get. No matter how many times someone says well, UPS does it, it doesn't change the fixed expenses FedEx has to transport most of it's freight by air. You can't literally force the square peg into the round hole. I can say unequivocally that FedEx management is greedy, and willing to exploit employees to make money. But a lot of that is they don't have a lot of cushion to give everything everyone wants. They are also trying to make Wall Street happy, shareholders happy, customers happy. But they could care less about former Ground contractors with axes to grind.
Coming from a guy who quit twice and waaed constantly about what he claims to have been lied to and treated unfairly. They couldn't care less about what happens to you.....never did and so what good is it going to do you doing Fat Freddy's poor mouthing for him?

vantexan

Coming from a guy who quit twice and waaed constantly about what he claims to have been lied to and treated unfairly. They couldn't care less about what happens to you.....never did and so what good is it going to do you doing Fat Freddy's poor mouthing for him?
So I should just lie about what they can and can't do?

vantexan

From your current off shore location as well as your limited time and position with the company what makes you the resident expert on what Fat Freddy can and cannot do ?
29 years is limited time? You're the genius, show us how Fred can take a couple billion in profit and turn it into $20 Billion in extra pay and benefits.

bacha29

29 years is limited time? You're the genius, show us how Fred can take a couple billion in profit and turn it into $20 Billion in extra pay and benefits.
And it took you what? 44 years in order to get 29 years of service credit? If during any part of that time you served as the company's comptroller you can then cry poverty in Fat Freddy's behalf as much as you want .

dezguy

Again, Fred went out and bought multinational company he knew was fully unionized.

Please tell me again how he can't afford for North American employees to be unionized but can afford to have all European employees unionized as well as all the TNT employees who became employees of FedEx?

vantexan

And it took you what? 44 years in order to get 29 years of service credit? If during any part of that time you served as the company's comptroller you can then cry poverty in Fat Freddy's behalf as much as you want .
You're dodging the question. To be exact, by the way, took me 30 years, 8 months to get 28 years, 10 months. So how will they turn $2 billion in profit into $20 Billion in pay and benefits again?

vantexan

Again, Fred went out and bought multinational company he knew was fully unionized.

Please tell me again how he can't afford for North American employees to be unionized but can afford to have all European employees unionized as well as all the TNT employees who became employees of FedEx?
Express is much larger than those operations. And it's been known for decades that FedEx is unionized in Europe. And it's a known fact that FedEx in Europe doesn't run as smoothly or is as profitable as it's American counterpart. So tell me again, if there's X profit and cost of desired pay and benefits is 10X, maybe 20X, where is the extra money coming from? It's a simple question that no one has an answer to. Eliminating the NASCAR team and anti-union posters is a drop in the bucket.

vantexan

By the way FedEx pays for things like unions in Europe by not paying Express in the U.S. better. Don't know how long you've been with FedEx, but for decades now they pay for what one group gets by taking from another group. And since Express couriers are by far the single biggest group of employees they're the ones who've lost the most.

dezguy

Express is much larger than those operations. And it's been known for decades that FedEx is unionized in Europe. And it's a known fact that FedEx in Europe doesn't run as smoothly or is as profitable as it's American counterpart. So tell me again, if there's X profit and cost of desired pay and benefits is 10X, maybe 20X, where is the extra money coming from? It's a simple question that no one has an answer to. Eliminating the NASCAR team and anti-union posters is a drop in the bucket.
You keep skirting the question, Van.

Fine, it's well known European operations are unionized and have been for a long time. It still doesn't discount only three years ago Fred et al decided it was a great opportunity to buy TNT, in the process bringing all of their employees on knowing full well that all those employees were unionized. That's is 70 000 employees. Sure some are management etc but let's say 50 000 are unionized.

That's 50 000 unionized employees, yet the company is still here, still operating.

vantexan

You keep skirting the question, Van.

Fine, it's well known European operations are unionized and have been for a long time. It still doesn't discount only three years ago Fred et al decided it was a great opportunity to buy TNT, in the process bringing all of their employees on knowing full well that all those employees were unionized. That's is 70 000 employees. Sure some are management etc but let's say 50 000 are unionized.

That's 50 000 unionized employees, yet the company is still here, still operating.
And you got a 2% raise this year because they aren't so far making the money they thought with TNT. I have no idea what kind of pay and benefits those unionized workers are getting, but I do know U.S. Express is by far the biggest division, and they've held down pay and stripped benefits for everything else they do. By the way those unions over there are on a country by country basis. There is no Railroad Labor Act governing them. And it still begs the question, if getting a union in will accelerate the time it takes to top out similar to UPS, and pay is similar to UPS, and healthcare is paid for for the immediate family, and pensions are very generous like UPS, where's the money coming from? Their profit is what they have left over after paying for everything now. It in no way can pay for all of that. They can't print money. So where's it coming from?