Big announcement coming in Jan

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
I w

Lets see what happens. I still think Fred will shift whatever he can to Ground when and if he can. The RLA and Express Carrier Exemption might not hold him back in the current situation.

MT3 did say that.

I know several Express dispatchers who went to Ground. I also know couriers who went to Freight. As a former RTD I've seen plenty of Ground trailers in Express facilities, and ballmats were being installed at Ground facilities...since removed. Ground roller-equipped trailers were, and probably still are being used to transport containers. Supposedly, they were all MTs. I tend to doubt that.Any current ramp agents on here that can verify Express is moving via Ground?

Ground absolutely moves by Express aircraft to remote locations like Alaska.

One thing for sure about FedEx is that whatever is coming won't be good for hourlies at Express. If Fred can shift anything over to Ground, he will eventually do it.
Conjecture =facts in MFE World.

zeev

Express still not at the ground level more to take, RTD’s many more opportunities than there used to be.
Unfortunately they’re just fleeing from one :censored2:storm to another. These recruiters promise the moon and the stars to guys to get them to sign on and then generally leave them high and dry.

Trucking in any form whatsoever these days is bad news, what with ELDs, cameras, inconsiderate shippers and receivers, serious lack of parking for those mandatory rest periods that never seem to come at the appropriate hour and more and more rules and regs that are strangling the life blood out of a guy just trying to make a living.

So glad I’m at the tail end of my career or I would definitely be getting into something else far far removed from the transportation industry.

In short, anyone thinking they’ll just use FedEx to get them a CDL-A ticket to happiness is in for a rude awakening. Find something else - anything

This has been a public service announcement
Many opportunities for company day drivers with Costco or Walmart or LTL home every night.

Maui

What if MFE is right eventually? From a business standpoint does it make sense to fly packages that can make the commitment by truck?

What if FedEx adopts more of an Amazon model for delivery? By that I mean if Ground can get the package to the recipient by the time needed, then why have Express involved at all for deliveries that are due at 8pm?

Changing the network and delivery model has come up on a few earnings calls. Fred did not dismiss the idea. Most here don't know what the future holds, but change always happens.

If it happens in 2025, then does that mean MFE is/was right? What timeline would mean he was assuming no laws are changed regarded RLA or anything else "forcing" change?

dezguy

What if MFE is right eventually? From a business standpoint does it make sense to fly packages that can make the commitment by truck?

What if FedEx adopts more of an Amazon model for delivery? By that I mean if Ground can get the package to the recipient by the time needed, then why have Express involved at all for deliveries that are due at 8pm?

Changing the network and delivery model has come up on a few earnings calls. Fred did not dismiss the idea. Most here don't know what the future holds, but change always happens.

If it happens in 2025, then does that mean MFE is/was right? What timeline would mean he was assuming no laws are changed regarded RLA or anything else "forcing" change?
Dooms day cults keep predicting the end of the world. When it does happen, does that make them right?

Maui

Dooms day cults keep predicting the end of the world. When it does happen, does that make them right?

Naw.
Changing the business model makes sense financially, so it will probably happen at some point. We don't know exactly how or when.

I think everyone should come to terms with this possibility. Doubtful it would be announced in January 2020, but those that are gonna be around more than 5-10 more years will likely see this in the US. What does FedEx look like then? I don't know, but probably very different than today.

bacha29

It will likely mean more deadline sensitive, guaranteed time specific workloads and more pressure being placed on already badly under compensated contractor employed drivers.

Contractors operate from day to day on the hope that there will always be somebody walking through that door physically able and psychologically willing to go out and deliver top of the scale performance for bottom of the scale money on a continuous daily basis for an extended period of time. Piling Smart Post and what was once Express freight on to those people and eventually they'll come a day when nobody's coming through the door.

BTW. in case you missed it Celadon packed it in yesterday. Told their consignees not to worry their loads will get there while at the same time are telling O-O's to deliver their loads with cancelled fuel cards, file claims as a secured creditor and.....maybe....they'll get paid.... someday.

Told their company drivers to take their rigs to the "nearest safe place" find their own way home and submit their claims for wages.

If i was one of them I would turn around head for home then just about the time I was running out of fuel I would drive it into the nearest swampy woods and bury it up to the bumper.

Them: "What the hell were you doing? What wrecker is going to come out here to pull it out when they already know that they're not going to get paid?

Me: " Well, you said to take it to the nearest safe place and here is the nearest safe place . Look at is this way. Who's going to steal it?

It will be fine

It will likely mean more deadline sensitive, guaranteed time specific workloads and more pressure being placed on already badly under compensated contractor employed drivers.

Contractors operate from day to day on the hope that there will always be somebody walking through that door physically able and psychologically willing to go out and deliver top of the scale performance for bottom of the scale money on a continuous daily basis for an extended period of time. Piling Smart Post and what was once Express freight on to those people and eventually they'll come a day when nobody's coming through the door.

BTW. in case you missed it Celadon packed it in yesterday. Told their consignees not to worry their loads will get there while at the same time are telling O-O's to deliver their loads with cancelled fuel cards, file claims as a secured creditor and.....maybe....they'll get paid.... someday.

Told their company drivers to take their rigs to the "nearest safe place" find their own way home and submit their claims for wages.

If i was one of them I would turn around head for home then just about the time I was running out of fuel I would drive it into the nearest swampy woods and bury it up to the bumper.

Them: "What the hell were you doing? What wrecker is going to come out here to pull it out when they already know that they're not going to get paid?

Me: " Well, you said to take it to the nearest safe place and here is the nearest safe place . Look at is this way. Who's going to steal it?
9AF676C9-9554-4BCF-866D-13303E046120.gif

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

It isn't doomsday thinking, it's Fredward 101. If he can save money by utilizing the cheaper Ground network to move some Express product, he will. The problem with mixing the 2 is the whole RLA/Exemption deal. You can't mix the product without threatening the anti-union Kryptonite.

R1a will be proven right long-term in my opinion. In today's Trumpistanian world, its isn't out of the question that Fred could work something out that would be approved by a very pro-business, Republican administration.

FedEx has been one of the victims of Trump's trade wars, and Fred may need to make some "desperate" moves to keep Express viable. If you remember, uber Republican Smith went to Trump Tower before King Orange took office to plead the case against tariffs and trade wars. Obviously, he didn't get his way, and Express has been slammed.

So, what does Dear Leader do to compensate for the loss of international business, which doesn't seem likely to return until Trump is gone? I think he does something drastic domestically.

I guess we wait and see. And, yes, Dano and Fred's Myth, this is conjecture and/or discussion of possibilities, not a concrete statement of fact.

You two seem to have a problem with debating issues vs. making declarative statements that are iron-clad. Try to get some help with that.

Last edited:

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American

BTW. in case you missed it Celadon packed it in yesterday.

There comes a fresh supply of potential Ground employees.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
I w

Lets see what happens. I still think Fred will shift whatever he can to Ground when and if he can. The RLA and Express Carrier Exemption might not hold him back in the current situation.

You said it was inevitable and imminent. And now, seven years after doomsday came and went, you're still pushing it. Maybe Marcus Mariota will be named the starter for the Titans to finish out the season, too.

MT3 did say that.

Of course.

I know several Express dispatchers who went to Ground. I also know couriers who went to Freight. As a former RTD I've seen plenty of Ground trailers in Express facilities, and ballmats were being installed at Ground facilities...since removed. Ground roller-equipped trailers were, and probably still are being used to transport containers. Supposedly, they were all MTs. I tend to doubt that.Any current ramp agents on here that can verify Express is moving via Ground?

One thing for sure about FedEx is that whatever is coming won't be good for hourlies at Express. If Fred can shift anything over to Ground, he will eventually do it.

Like those Mariota homers who still believe he'll return as the Titans' starter and finish in a blaze of glory and be signed to that fat contract, your ridiculous optimism is fueling your ridiculous reasoning.

I mean, it's to the point where you really need something bad to happen in order to not look like a goof.

Last edited:

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
We'll see who is right. I was there when Fred said Ground and Express operations would never be co-mingled in any way and for all of the takeaways. "Facts" at FedEx change like the wind. Ground will eventually be taking part of today's Express freight.

It's been 8 years since you started the ball rolling, I think we know the answer.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
You said it was inevitable and imminent. And now, seven years after doomsday came and went, you're still pushing it. Maybe Marcus Mariota will be named the starter for the Titans to finish out the season, too.

MT3 did say that.

Of course.

You might want to sober up first before you post anything else.