Big announcement coming in Jan

SmithBarney

Another Guess is Customers select service based on delivery time 1day 2day 3day 4 day 5day etc.... Then the FedEx software automatically selects which carrier (Express or Ground)
Since is varies depending on geographic location, it'll change automatically.

For example: Customer wants a package from Orlando FL to Atlanta GA in one day, but doesn't need it in the morning, Ground can hit in one day(but can't hit the AM time frame)
Example 2: NYC to Los Angeles Your only options are probably 1,2day(express) or 4-6day(ground not sure of transit times)

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
I remember back in the day (27 years ago) we didnt have Expsvr. just p1, sos and p2 and it seemed plenty then. makes since to move 3 days to ground. I'm sure it will be a, sorry Express doesn't offer 3 days any longer but ground has a new service you may be interested in
I think XS got out of hand by letting shippers use DSR/ISR/ASR/COD along with it. Packages with those requirements are too often brought back, sometimes repeatedly and then there's whiny customers wanting a 4th or 5th attempt.

The profit on XS is lost starting with a 2nd attempt is what we were told by a district manager. XS should have been a bare bones type of service all along. Can't believe they've waited this long to wake up and smell the coffee.

Serf

So if Amazon made up less than 1% of total volume for Express, how much volume do you think Express Saver equates to? I feel like we do a lot more 2 day than Saver....

vantexan

I remember back in the day (27 years ago) we didnt have Expsvr. just p1, sos and p2 and it seemed plenty then. makes since to move 3 days to ground. I'm sure it will be a, sorry Express doesn't offer 3 days any longer but ground has a new service you may be interested in
I remember when they started SOS. We used to deliver P1, P2, took lunch and had a real lag until pickups started. Used to take naps in truck after lunch. Those were the days!

snowcat66

Being a swing at a small station, probably bout 42 routes, I would say less than 150 stops are probably XS. so would not be a big loss when spread out over all routes. Then they can focus on selling the next day and 2day. As E-commerce continues its climb and more and more people get comfortable with online purchasing probably will not even notice the loss in volume if any.

zeev

To begin with contractors must agree to a nondisclosure agreement (NDA) whereby they are not permitted to discuss the details of their own contract with other contractors nor are they permitted to have counsel present during those so called and laughable contract "negotiations" .

Another example of just how captive and restrictive being an FXG "independent contractor " actually is in everyday life. And no matter how big of a scale you operate under in the end you simply get tired of it especially now given that the big haul many contractors believe they'll walk away with which is the only reason why many continue to put up with it becomes less of a certainty.
How do they enforce the non disclosure agreements I heard they had a point system for bidding on line haul routes. This California ruling on independent contractors could change everything.

It will be fine

How do they enforce the non disclosure agreements I heard they had a point system for bidding on line haul routes. This California ruling on independent contractors could change everything.
They don’t enforce it. The reality is everyone is pretty close but individual businesses have different needs and risk tolerance. So if I get $.25 more per stop than the contractor next to me he probably gets more fixed weekly service money proportional to his stop count. There’s too many variables to compare apples to apples.

bacha29

I can't speak for line haul but terminal P&D's had to sign that NDA which barred them from discussing contract terms with one another. This is no denying the fact this is a gag order being placed on people they called "independent contractors" If you think this bad ....believe me it gets worse.

In order to haul for them you have to organize and register as a Class S private corporation. As a private corporation your payroll records are confidential and private information protected under US law. But, that's not how it works at Fedex Ground. If they tell you to turn over your corporation's private payroll records for their examination and audit no matter what the law says....it's turn them over or it's "hasta lavista baby" .

When mine were call in for audit even though I was the only employee and the only payrolls pertained to me alone they were still called in for audit. When I bounced the contractor relations guy about privacy laws the person's answer was "oh, gee, gosh, I, ahh......just.just go along with it so I can get the friend*!k out of here". I turned them over but quit shortly afterward. No way was I going to continue to have my rights ignored and flat out violated by that company.

More importantly nothing will make me believe that the true intent was NOT to find out and compile data on what contractors pay their labor and to use that data to help determine rates because if rule of law won't stop them from obtaining that information then rule of law sure as hell won't stop them from using that information in any way they so choose.

It will be fine

I can't speak for line haul but terminal P&D's had to sign that NDA which barred them from discussing contract terms with one another. This is no denying the fact this is a gag order being placed on people they called "independent contractors" If you think this bad ....believe me it gets worse.

In order to haul for them you have to organize and register as a Class S private corporation. As a private corporation your payroll records are confidential and private information protected under US law. But, that's not how it works at Fedex Ground. If they tell you to turn over your corporation's private payroll records for their examination and audit no matter what the law says....it's turn them over or it's "hasta lavista baby" .

When mine were call in for audit even though I was the only employee and the only payrolls pertained to me alone they were still called in for audit. When I bounced the contractor relations guy about privacy laws the person's answer was "oh, gee, gosh, I, ahh......just.just go along with it so I can get the friend*!k out of here". I turned them over but quit shortly afterward. No way was I going to continue to have my rights ignored and flat out violated by that company.

More importantly nothing will make me believe that the true intent was NOT to find out and compile data on what contractors pay their labor and to use that data to help determine rates because if rule of law won't stop them from obtaining that information then rule of law sure as hell won't stop them from using that information in any way they so choose.
They are being sued as a co-employer for back overtime wages. They have a legitimate interest in verifying minimum wage is being paid. There is plenty of public data on what truck driver’s wages are.

bacha29

They are being sued as a co-employer for back overtime wages. They have a legitimate interest in verifying minimum wage is being paid. There is plenty of public data on what truck driver’s wages are.
LOL! My information was called in years before the potential litigation came into focus regarding co-employer rules. So don't try this line on me. You're the company's "coffee boy" and we accept you for what you are. So why not try accepting it yourself as well? If my information was pertinent to this matter then they could have done it the right way and go get a court order requiring me to turn it over.

Route 66

Slapped Upside-da-Head Member
Wow, there's videos all over youtube of upset drivers for celadon, i've honestly never heard of them, but apperantly it's a pretty large company, crazy..
Damn, you must not get out on the highways much! :ohmy:
They (had) been in business over 3 decades and operated some 10,000 trailers - which is more than Western Express has and don’t even say you’ve never heard of Western Express (or I’ll suspect you’re Stevie Wonder)! :happy2:
It was nearly impossible to drive any length of interstate distance whatsoever in the past 30 years without seeing Celadon.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Damn, you must not get out on the highways much! :ohmy:
They (had) been in business over 3 decades and operated some 10,000 trailers - which is more than Western Express has and don’t even say you’ve never heard of Western Express (or I’ll suspect you’re Stevie Wonder)! :happy2:
It was nearly impossible to drive any length of interstate distance whatsoever in the past 30 years without seeing Celadon.

I had never heard of them before reading about them here.

bacha29

I had never heard of them before reading about them here.
U.S. largest transporter of international freight. Two top executives indicted on federal charges but the final nails came when it defaulted on loans and could not secure any new financing resulting in the stock being delisted. Put this altogether and the outcome was never in doubt.

bacha29

Fedex earnings report comes out after the close of trading on Tuesday .Not a single analyst that I heard today or whose comments I read today had anything positive or optimistic to say ahead of the report.

Fat Freddy usually holds his cards pretty close to the vest but if he's pissed or embarrassed by the numbers he might let the cat out of the bag and drop a few hints as to what if anything is coming.

Let's all turn our focus to that report and if anybody hears or spots something that might be a sign of what's coming get please get back here and fill us in.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Fat Freddy usually holds his cards pretty close to the vest but if he's pissed or embarrassed by the numbers he might let the cat out of the bag and drop a few hints as to what if anything is coming.
He's been spotted at the Memphis Walmart purchasing more Depends than usual.

zeev

Fedex earnings report comes out after the close of trading on Tuesday .Not a single analyst that I heard today or whose comments I read today had anything positive or optimistic to say ahead of the report.

Let's all turn our focus to that report and if anybody hears or spots something that might be a sign of what's coming get please get back here and fill us in.
The numbers will not be good based on it seems Freight and Express freight are now fighting over shipments. Freight has their own barcodes for the first time. I expect some kind of big announcement just because they have to act like they know what to do.

zeev

Saw two seniors in two different locations last night memo must say act like you care. Something big coming on Tuesday by the way our senior shows up on nights about every 5 years on average.

dmac1

They can only be sued because their 'independent' contractors are only very questionably independent.

At some point, there can't be any savings for fedex by having contractors' pay all the costs that any employer must pay, plus have an entire 'contractor relations' layer, plus still have all the management costs at every terminal. Fedex already has a payroll department, a full HR department to do hiring, and also needs to pay independent contractors to do the same tasks. With technology, payroll can pay double the number of people at no extra cost, other than the cost of printing the extra checks. Fedex has vehicle purchase contracts, and could probably get even better deals if they just bought all fedex vehicles. Instead, independent contractors need to pay more, and then fedex needs to pay them more so the contractors can do their job and still pay legal wages. By using 'independent' contractors fedex is actually reducing potential efficiencies they could obtain through integrating the ground side. Just in the potential of having only a single vehicle in each area in so much of the country would save billions of dollars. That is why UPS can compete with the low wage fedex drivers.
If contractors are truly independent, there is NO legitimate interest for fedex in the wages being paid to delivery drivers.