Big announcement coming in Jan

MassWineGuy

One of our managers told me last week that Ground would be taking more Express freight, mainly two day and Express saver. Given how busy they were this peak, I wish them the best.

bbsam

Staff member
One of our managers told me last week that Ground would be taking more Express freight, mainly two day and Express saver. Given how busy they were this peak, I wish them the best.
It’s indicative of the leadership. They’re looking at quarterly reports and then ignoring the glaring deficiencies in operational ability. What are they going to do? Terminate every failing contractor and bring in new contractors with no idea what they’re doing?

It will be fine

It’s indicative of the leadership. They’re looking at quarterly reports and then ignoring the glaring deficiencies in operational ability. What are they going to do? Terminate every failing contractor and bring in new contractors with no idea what they’re doing?
I’m sure the lower rates of pay and shrinking margins will attract tons of competent replacements.

MAKAVELI

I’m sure the lower rates of pay and shrinking margins will attract tons of competent replacements.
Upper management is throwing :censored2: at the wall seeing what sticks. Problem is it's diarrhea at this point.

zeev

They will probably buy a software program to solve the problem and than not budget any money to operate it. After a while they will trash it, than go look for something else to buy.

bacha29

in other words, they have no idea of what they really need to do.

No big surprise there.
They've taken that cobbled together mess of acquired companies about as far as they can get it to go and the next two quarterly results will are likely to tell the story about what if anything they can do to reverse the decline. Throw in an economic slowdown if not an out and out recession then you'll see whether they undertake a well thought out and orderly restructuring or throw up a "Hail Mary" in the form of a spin off to raise cash or attempt to buy out another carrier funded by some type of a new preferred stock offering.

MAKAVELI

They've taken that cobbled together mess of acquired companies about as far as they can get it to go and the next two quarterly results will are likely to tell the story about what if anything they can do to reverse the decline. Throw in an economic slowdown if not an out and out recession then you'll see whether they undertake a well thought out and orderly restructuring or throw up a "Hail Mary" in the form of a spin off to raise cash or attempt to buy out another carrier funded by some type of a new preferred stock offering.
If the next 2 quarters are like the previous, they'll have no choice but to combine opcos or sell.

bacha29

If the next 2 quarters are like the previous, they'll have no choice but to combine opcos or sell.
The thing to remember is that they're still making money just not as much. The again Ground is only about 35% of total revenues but generates 60% of the profit but when you consider what a feces show ( can't say the s word) Ground has become expecting it to be able to shorten delivery times and maintain consistent level of service ..... it was never designed for that. Simply a cheap BTB lower cost alternative to using semi's for 1 or 2 piece deliveries that were not time of day or day of week specific.

Trying to make it do all this additional stuff then Fat Freddy will end up killing the only cash cow he has left.

MAKAVELI

The thing to remember is that they're still making money just not as much. The again Ground is only about 35% of total revenues but generates 60% of the profit but when you consider what a feces show ( can't say the s word) Ground has become expecting it to be able to shorten delivery times and maintain consistent level of service ..... it was never designed for that. Simply a cheap BTB lower cost alternative to using semi's for 1 or 2 piece deliveries that were not time of day or day of week specific.

Trying to make it do all this additional stuff then Fat Freddy will end up killing the only cash cow he has left.
It was only a matter of time before this whole system imploded. It was merely an experiment to have two independent systems and to think it would be more efficient in the long term.

bbsam

Staff member

You’re making things up again. Ground was focused on B2B. HD was always B2C. That overlapping process has gone well. The problem they will run into is simply overloading the system in an attempt to boost profits.

Serf

How though? Is it all software driven? How does the freight get diverted to Ground?

bacha29

You’re making things up again. Ground was focused on B2B. HD was always B2C. That overlapping process has gone well. The problem they will run into is simply overloading the system in an attempt to boost profits.
That's exactly my point when I said that Fat Freddy will kill his cash cow. Ever since he got the thing from Roadway he's tried to make it become all things for all people while using the same basic business model Danny boy cobbled together back in 1985.

The separation of Ground and HD might have worked ok in the cities but out in the boonies they were piling up the miles like you wouldn't believe. Putting them together was to a considerable extent and effort to cut down on the miles. In fact at my rural terminal Ground and HD was merged many years before the official merging. It's didn't matter what designation you were but rather a question of who was going to be the closest to that god forsaken crap hole stop out in the middle of nowhere. The HD carrier and I simply drew a line across the territory . She took everything south of the line while I did everything north of it.

DaMan

Was told the same thing last friday. Was also told we may take some ground pick ups

It will be fine

How though? Is it all software driven? How does the freight get diverted to Ground?
How do you guys sort the 2 and 3 day volume? If it flys to the final city in one day it’d be easy to truck that to the local Ground hub and make service the following day. If they plan on entirely trucking a lot of it that’s probably a lot more complicated, but would get greater returns.

McFeely

Huge Member
I know for my station there are at least 2 different Ground terminals that overlap our zip codes. So if they’re planning on trucking it from Express to Ground, it will need to be separated daily to those different terminals.

Some of our 2-Day packages actually arrive at our station on the 2nd day and may not even be ready to go anywhere until 9am (or later if our freight is late). Not sure how that would work for Ground’s dispatch times.