Black 16 year old shot and killed while trying to murder another girl in Columbus OH

It will be fine

Tell that to the people that died or had their businesses burned. We are just making society better. No one thought well the rioters want to make America better by charging the Capitol building, even though we want the same man in office.
You seem confused. I said nothing defending violent protest. I said who cares if activists want police reform if they believe the abuse is a result of racism. It doesn’t matter if the result is better police accountability for killing citizens.

El Correcto

god is dead
You seem confused. I said nothing defending violent protest. I said who cares if activists want police reform if they believe the abuse is a result of racism. It doesn’t matter if the result is better police accountability for killing citizens.
You don’t understand me.
They are peddling conspiracy theories that have led to violence.

It will be fine

You don’t understand me.
They are peddling conspiracy theories that have led to violence.
Police aren’t killing citizens? The activists may be incorrect in their belief of the motivations of the killings, but the killing is happening. We all get to see the video now. We don’t have to take the word of the police.

El Correcto

god is dead
The activists may be incorrect in their belief of the motivations of the killings,
Glad we agree. That’s all I was trying to get to. That is the problem. That is what is causing people to be pissed off enough to burn down their neighbor hoods and feel justified
We all get to see the video now. We don’t have to take the word of the police
Doesnt do much good when media panders to conspiracy theory peddling activists and the catastrophic results they bring to the discourse.

It will be fine

Glad we agree. That’s all I was trying to get to. That is the problem. That is what is causing people to be pissed off enough to burn down their neighbor hoods and feel justified

Doesnt do much good when media panders to conspiracy theory peddling activists and the catastrophic results they bring to the discourse.
Good points. The focus should be on use of force more than mental motivation behind that force.

El Correcto

god is dead
Good points. The focus should be on use of force more than mental motivation behind that force.
Yes unless they have proof of the mental motivations. If you find out a public servant, not just the police, is a member of a group like the Nation of Islam or the KKK that openly promotes hatred of minorities, they shouldn’t be a public servant anymore. Everyone can agree on that much I believe.

vantexan

Police aren’t killing citizens? The activists may be incorrect in their belief of the motivations of the killings, but the killing is happening. We all get to see the video now. We don’t have to take the word of the police.
Exactly what should a cop do if a suspect raises a gun towards him, comes at him with a knife, grapples with him while trying to take his gun or taser, beats on him, or is doing similar to someone else and refuses to stop when ordered? Exactly what would you have cops do? Some well known black woman yesterday actually said that kids have been having knife fights forever, the cops shouldn't shoot them over it. This is insanity.

It will be fine

Exactly what should a cop do if a suspect raises a gun towards him, comes at him with a knife, grapples with him while trying to take his gun or taser, beats on him, or is doing similar to someone else and refuses to stop when ordered? Exactly what would you have cops do? Some well known black woman yesterday actually said that kids have been having knife fights forever, the cops shouldn't shoot them over it. This is insanity.
Those aren’t the shootings that get as much coverage. The problem is when cops kill children that aren’t pointing guns at them or cops kneeling on a man until he dies. I don’t think expecting cops not to kill people is unreasonable.

El Correcto

god is dead
I wish that girls family had gotten her under control but they couldn’t and she was about to kill someone as far as the cop was concerned. He did the right thing with the information he had and did it within seconds without anyone else getting hurt other than the belligerent party.
Nothing shows that he is a bad cop for that.

vantexan

Those aren’t the shootings that get as much coverage. The problem is when cops kill children that aren’t pointing guns at them or cops kneeling on a man until he dies. I don’t think expecting cops not to kill people is unreasonable.
If a girl is making a threatening gesture with a knife at another person and isn't backing down when yelled at by the officer what else could he do? That officer was there a total of 9 seconds before shooting her. She tumbled to the ground fighting another girl who he was pulling away from her when she got up and ran towards the other girl bringing the knife up, ignoring his commands. All of this was captured by a security camera across the street. The officer has as much responsibility to protect the unarmed girl as he does himself. Too many times it's just assumed the police are too quick to use lethal force but in these situations they have split seconds to react. And he was called there by people in that household that felt the girl's behavior required police come quickly as possible.

vantexan

And as large as she was I doubt the cop saw a child when he arrived.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
You are too focused on one instance and one cop’s decision. I haven’t followed this one but weren’t there a number of other cops on scene that didn’t shoot this kid?
The new video shows the 2 police cars arriving.
Officer Readon was the first on scene.
Moments later another unit appears with 2 officers.
They are walking pass Officer Readon's unit as shots are fired.

El Correcto

god is dead
The new video shows the 2 police cars arriving.
Officer Readon was the first on scene.
Moments later another unit appears with 2 officers.
They are walking pass Officer Readon's unit as shots are fired.

It’s good the neighbors aren’t coming out with high school yearbook photos of the kids together trying to take the parents side on this.
The girl was out of her mind and about to stab someone.

I feel bad for the dude that had to shoot a 16 year old girl, it’s horrible. I couldn’t imagine being in that situation to shoot someone that young, but there it is on camera provable justifiable homicide.

oldngray

nowhere special
It’s good the neighbors aren’t coming out with high school yearbook photos of the kids together trying to take the parents side on this.
The girl was out of her mind and about to stab someone.

I feel bad for the dude that had to shoot a 16 year old girl, it’s horrible. I couldn’t imagine being in that situation to shoot someone that young, but there it is on camera provable justifiable homicide.
Donavon Brinson, who captured footage of the fatal shooting of an Ohio teen by a police officer, told "The Faulkner Focus" during an exclusive television interview Thursday that, after reviewing the video, he thinks the officer "reacted with what he thought was his best judgment."