Business development aka sales people....

wisedragonfly

People do you want to know how we can stop them from busting out routes? Its simple and we must unite. Every driver must refuse a rlo and request their 8 hour guarantee. Ups will put in the routes after they have paid a bunch of guarantee grievances. Ups will not keep paying drivers to go home.

Before someone says that UPS will just lay off drivers, we are in the seasonal period right now, for summer vacation help. UPS will have to eliminate all of the seasonal drivers before this happens. Which will be impossible.

Hello 705red,
It seems to me that there must be a better plan out there somewhere, than some of the plans that you post. A plan that will target what's best to provide outstanding services to our customers and prevents service failures. A plan that will find some common ground between the drivers and management and a plan that will work between Operations and BD.

I have read many of your posts and almost always you're only plan is to file grievances against UPS. How do grievances really help UPS? How do grievances help IBT? IMO, the grievances does more harm than good in the long run. Is IBT trying to break UPS? I'm so confused with the process. Perhaps the union employee's should file grievances against IBT for not watching the back of their members?

Before you begin to rip me apart... and I know it's coming... :knockedout:
just know that, I don't know a lot about the union or why we need them as a company, but I would love the understand how the Teamsters benefit UPS or the union employee's, outside of filing grievances? :whiteflag:

705red

Browncafe Steward
Hello 705red,
It seems to me that there must be a better plan out there somewhere, than some of the plans that you post. A plan that will target what's best to provide outstanding services to our customers and prevents service failures. A plan that will find some common ground between the drivers and management and a plan that will work between Operations and BD.

Please post a reasonable suggestion? UPS busts out routes and drivers even though they are guaranteed 8 hours a day just go home. This problem has only gotten worse now because alot of drivers would rather take the day off instead of working the 10 and 11 hour days.

The fact is the center managers do not run the operation, the BD reps do not run the operation, crap even the building mangers do not run the operation. IE runs the whole show and most of them have never even spent any time in the operation!

I have read many of your posts and almost always you're only plan is to file grievances against UPS. How do grievances really help UPS? How do grievances help IBT? IMO, the grievances does more harm than good in the long run. Is IBT trying to break UPS? I'm so confused with the process. Perhaps the union employee's should file grievances against IBT for not watching the back of their members?

A grievance does not help the IBT! It helps the members or members filing it. A grievance gets filed when UPS does not live up to its end of the contract. So if a grievance costs UPS money then maybe they should honor the contract instead of hoping to get away with violating the contract!

You are right on one account, the IBT from what I have read does need a grievance filed against them for not representing the members best interest! However I am under a separate contract and the IBT has no direct impact on our grievance procedure, thank god!

Before you begin to rip me apart... and I know it's coming... :knockedout:
just know that, I don't know a lot about the union or why we need them as a company, but I would love the understand how the Teamsters benefit UPS or the union employee's, outside of filing grievances? :whiteflag:
Why would I rip you apart? You even stated that you have no idea why we need the Teamsters. So I will explain. The Teamsters negotiate our contract, wages, medical benefits, pension, work place rules, grievance procedures and makes us a just cause employee compared to your self which you are an at will emp[loyee.

An at will employee can basically be fired or disciplined at will, no guidelines no structure. If you are not liked then you are fired.

A just cause employee has our discipline spelled out for us and the company. We cannot be fired if we forget to put a gas cap on and spill some fuel for the first time in our career. You on the other hand could be shown the door never to come back.

We received our raise this year, while you did not. UPS receives alot of business over FedEx because we are union. From attorney firms that deal with other unions to union operated companies that ship with us because we to are union.

I hope I shed some light on this issue for you. But I fear that until Scott Davis retirees or steps down this is how the operations will be run until someone that worked their way up through UPS takes control again! IMO

wisedragonfly

So I will explain.

Hello 705red,

Please post a reasonable suggestion? UPS busts out routes and drivers even though they are guaranteed 8 hours a day just go home. This problem has only gotten worse now because alot of drivers would rather take the day off instead of working the 10 and 11 hour days.

I'm under the impression that routes are being cut because volume is down. Please don't tell me that the volume is not down because I see volume numbers in my district every day and it's true that volume is definitely down.

The fact is the center managers do not run the operation, the BD reps do not run the operation, crap even the building mangers do not run the operation. IE runs the whole show and most of them have never even spent any time in the operation!

I agree with you about IE running the show. I wish some drivers and operations folks realized that fact. From the things I read here on BC, it seems that BD are the bad guys that make all the bad decisions.

A grievance does not help the IBT! It helps the members or members filing it. A grievance gets filed when UPS does not live up to its end of the contract. So if a grievance costs UPS money then maybe they should honor the contract instead of hoping to get away with violating the contract!

I can understand the grievance process to a point and agree that sometimes it should be used. However, it does appear that the union promotes grievances. It's almost as if the union employee's know the contract better than UPS service and they are instructed to sit patiently and wait for the smallest issue so they can file. I mean, isn't the overkill of filed grievances just as bad as UPS mgmt breaking the contract rules? The IBT contract gets manipulated on both sides of the fence, from what I read here on BC.

You are right on one account, the IBT from what I have read does need a grievance filed against them for not representing the members best interest! However I am under a separate contract and the IBT has no direct impact on our grievance procedure, thank god!

Now I'm really confused? I realize that different parts of the country have different contracts for their regions, but I thought IBT was one big organization? Is that not true? I'm sorry, I really don't understand. It's just too many rules! How is mgmt supposed to keep all the rules straight to prevent breaking a contract rule?

The Teamsters negotiate our contract, wages, medical benefits, pension, work place rules, grievance procedures and makes us a just cause employee compared to your self which you are an at will employee.

An at will employee can basically be fired or disciplined at will, no guidelines no structure. If you are not liked then you are fired.

A just cause employee has our discipline spelled out for us and the company. We cannot be fired if we forget to put a gas cap on and spill some fuel for the first time in our career. You on the other hand could be shown the door never to come back.

I understand this part a little, but why do you need IBT to negotiate for you? My wages, medical benefits, pension and work place issues are handled within UPS. H/R handles my issues if I need them to get involved with disputes and there is a panel if I need my peers. Sorry, I forget what they call the panel, at the moment. I've had my share of disputes over the years. Most of them I handle myself. I've had an equal share of good managers and lousy ones. I had a manager, years ago, ask me to resign. I told him he could fire me if he wanted but I would not resign. I am a loyal UPSer and he knew that he did not have grounds to fire me. That manager no longer works for UPS and I'm still here. The mgr leaving had nothing to do with my issue, but rumor had it that he was dirty and he got busted. Lucky me! I also had an overbearing supervisor attempt to take a days pay away from me over a dispute we had. H/R made sure my pay was returned because the sup had no authority or right to take my pay. The sup now speaks to me with respect, as I do to the sup. There are no hard feelings between us.

The worse thing that has happened is the fact the UPS continues to downsize. Does the union protect employee's from downsizes?

We received our raise this year, while you did not. UPS receives alot of business over FedEx because we are union. From attorney firms that deal with other unions to union operated companies that ship with us because we to are union.

I did get my raise in June 2009. It was a lower percentage than normal due to the economy but I was very satisfied with it under the circumstances that my management team did not get their raises. My raise is based on merit of my evaluation. The slacker in my office that has lousy work ethics did not get the same raise that I did, since our evaluation scores are used to determine our raise.

I hope I shed some light on this issue for you. But I fear that until Scott Davis retirees or steps down this is how the operations will be run until someone that worked their way up through UPS takes control again!

I agree that our CEO should have driver experience and come up through the ranks. I don't see him stepping down. IMO

How does a CEO become the CEO in the first place?

A good point was raised about the UPS CEO. He did not come up thru the ranks and did not drive, sort, load, preload or anything. Yet his decisions along with the board affect your job! What a crock! Is there anyone else on the Bod that has actually physically worked their way up thru the UPS ranks to get to that position?

tiegirl

tiegirl
Wise one you must be. Very well said.

Hello want to retire. No matter how hard BD works, operations will never give them the credit that is due to them. I see AE's - Sales Rep and their managers who send me emails 1AM in the morning, while you're sleeping. Just because you don't see BD folks does not mean they are not working. Their job is to meet with customers, not drivers.

This is the 4th of July work week, have you ever considered that BD folks are entitled to take their vacations? Many businesses are closed, or closed early. Seems like a good vacation week to me. I work with BD and I'm also on vacation.

Seems to me, that we would be better off as a company if operations worked with BD, instead of against them.