CONTRACT settled by the weekend??

under the radar

A Trained Professional
Why are they so hung up on getting it settled by October 1st??? We the workers still have to vote on it, AND there is a chance it could be rejected by us.. My prescriptions just went from 3 dollars to 10 dollars, my doctor co-pay went from 5 dollars to 10 dollars. The pension is in trouble, I don't make enough money per hour, I hear they want more givebacks than ever, unless they could fix all of this I am voting NO!!

You're kidding, right?

under the radar

A Trained Professional
You are so correct Bill....
In this time of wear and tear on the body lifting 150lbs and the constant repetitive motions on all of your joints, I also think you should be rewarded.

hazmat man- Mets are you serious?

Dude; If you're lifting 150 lbs. you're a better man than I.

bones

I think moreluck is right about the January 2008 penalty, it has to do with the changes to pension laws but from what I read the teamster CS will suffer as much or more than UPS which is the reason for the 10/1 date, why else would they want it done 9 months early?

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Why do we think we should be able to retire at 50 with 27 years and also get health coverage? No system can afford to pay people not to work for 30 plus years, unless it's a govt. pension.

yeldarb

Anyone who plans on living in retirement solely of their company funded pension is crazy, or who puts all their money in company stock is nuts. Look at Enron, Worldcom, etc. I am trying to make it so I can retire on what I contribute, and anything else I might recieve is a bonus.

Leftinbuilding

Why do we think we should be able to retire at 50 with 27 years and also get health coverage? No system can afford to pay people not to work for 30 plus years, unless it's a govt. pension.

Exactly!! The attitude of some on here is scary. Economics is obviously not their bag. (Mine either, but I do understand some basics.) The early settlement is also an attempt to avoid nervous shippers diverting volume.

spun

We can retire at age 50 with health care because thats what they agrreed to.
Don't ever sell yourself short. Remember all those 12 hour days and boldface lies. Maybe you can get to know your grandchildren because you sure as hell didn't see your kids grow up. We made them those billions of dollars in profit. I hate when people are so willing to give away what they worked for.

HazMatMan

You're kidding, right?

Why are they so hung up on getting it settled by October 1st??? We the workers still have to vote on it, AND there is a chance it could be rejected by us.. My prescriptions just went from 3 dollars to 10 dollars, my doctor co-pay went from 5 dollars to 10 dollars. The pension is in trouble, I don't make enough money per hour, I hear they want more givebacks than ever, unless they could fix all of this I am voting NO!!

Your right, I am sorry for bitching, I will take whatever UPS throws at me even if it is less than the last contract and I will vote yes to any garbage contract they offer, once again my apologies..

VTBrown

We can retire at age 50 with health care because thats what they agrreed to.
Don't ever sell yourself short. Remember all those 12 hour days and boldface lies. Maybe you can get to know your grandchildren because you sure as hell didn't see your kids grow up. We made them those billions of dollars in profit. I hate when people are so willing to give away what they worked for.

My god.....here we go again.

Remember those 12 hour days?

YOU
chose to do them.

Didn't see your kids grow up?

YOU chose UPS as being more important then your children if that is the case.

You made those sacrifices. UPS didn't force you to do it. You could have chosen to go work some where else, no? We all have parts of our job we don't like. You can either deal with it and stop the complaining or go find another job.

It's not for everyone.

705red

Browncafe Steward
My god.....here we go again.

Remember those 12 hour days?

YOU chose to do them.

Didn't see your kids grow up?

YOU chose UPS as being more important then your children if that is the case.

You made those sacrifices. UPS didn't force you to do it. You could have chosen to go work some where else, no? We all have parts of our job we don't like. You can either deal with it and stop the complaining or go find another job.

It's not for everyone.
We choose to work here, but i dont know any package driver that wants 12 hours a day, do you? Cut the crap, no one wants to not see their kids grow up!

HazMatMan

Did anyone see any info on the contract talks?? What do the raises look like?? How many years will the contract be for?? I went to Teamsters.com and can't find any info.. Just that they think it could be done by Oct. 1st.

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
I went to Teamsters.com and can't find any info.. Just that they think it could be done by Oct. 1st.

Yeah, I did the same. I searched Google, too. NADA! I've seen Mr. Black's statement about being done in time for October 1 repeated a couple times elsewhere. I really hate to admit it but I think they're done negotiating and just awaiting the opening bell on Monday to announce. JMO. -Rocky