Contract

1989NW

No matter what changes on future contracts are we grandfathered into the contracts that we hired under? If the company decides to get rid of pensions does that mean that even an emloyee that has given the last 20 years of their life to this company will not receive a pension once retired?

Last edited:

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
No matter what changes on future contracts are we grandfathered into the contracts that we hired under? If the company decides to get rid of pensions does that mean that even an emloyee that has slaved 20 years into this company will not receive a pension once retired?

Short answers are depends, and no.

Long answer would involve a very lengthy explanation about how pensions work. Please go do some research into the matter on your own. I'll give you a starting point, UPS does not control the pensions, and it would be very difficult and costly for them to stop paying into them.

1989NW

Short answers are depends, and no.

Long answer would involve a very lengthy explanation about how pensions work. Please go do some research into the matter on your own. I'll give you a starting point, UPS does not control the pensions, and it would be very difficult and costly for them to stop paying into them.
What about the amount of paid time off we get are we grandfathered into that or can it change?

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
What about the amount of paid time off we get are we grandfathered into that or can it change?

The only issues I know of that are grandfathered in are the ones that are specifically addressed by the contracts. An example, if I remember correctly, would be drivers attaining seniority before a certain date could not be forced onto a Tuesday through Saturday schedule. If they were to try to reduce time off, it would probably also be a grandfather issue, so it only applies to new hires, to have any hope of getting approval of members. Most likely that sort of thing wouldn't fly.

Inthegame

The union knows very little about our pension. In many cases they don’t even know the hourly contribution rate. Which is useless on its own.
Being an inanimate object, I would suspect the "union" knows very little about everything.

Now officers and agents who normally conduct union mtgs should be able to provide some info. However, Plan Administrators are your best bet for accurate info but if your local has trustees of your fund present, they certainly will have knowledge of hourly contribution rates among other workings of the plan.

Inthegame

No matter what changes on future contracts are we grandfathered into the contracts that we hired under? If the company decides to get rid of pensions does that mean that even an emloyee that has given the last 20 years of their life to this company will not receive a pension once retired?
Participation in a Pension Plan is a vested benefit.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
DId you start yesterday?

twoweeled

A good guess (on my part) would be, nothing is written in granite. Nothing! Virtually, anything can be changed. Things are definite and can be planned on, unless they get changed.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Being an inanimate object, I would suspect the "union" knows very little about everything.

Now officers and agents who normally conduct union mtgs should be able to provide some info. However, Plan Administrators are your best bet for accurate info but if your local has trustees of your fund present, they certainly will have knowledge of hourly contribution rates among other workings of the plan.

If you're going to be that way about it, and you claim a union, within the context of this thread, is an inanimate object, can you show me a picture of one? Words like union and government are really adjectives that describe relationships between people, but they are often used as nouns in a figurative way because most people understand what is being said. Though trouble does arise when people conflate the figurative with the literal. Language is a beautiful thing, but can be dangerous when misused.

The best info one could get from the union officers and agents is a phone number. Since these officers and agents have nothing to do with the the pension.

Maplewood

Just be a man and keep voting No on any contract you don't agree with. Vote YES for strike Authorization. The contract proposal would have to be at least half decent or our union won't even let it be voted on.

twoweeled

Just be a man and keep voting No on any contract you don't agree with. Vote YES for strike Authorization. The contract proposal would have to be at least half decent or our union won't even let it be voted on.
You sound sorta new. less than 20 years? Minimal disciplinary action experienced? No offense, but of course a person should vote no on a contract they don't agree with. The contract having to be half decent is debatable at best. It has to appeal to the IBT, for whatever reason, not necessarily be the best for the membership. The IBT is concerned with keeping those dues flowing, and little else. That's the sad truth that many already know. If the IBT knew we would accept losing all our benefits and keep the same pay rate, guess what we'd get? It's all about keeping the dues coming in, for them. Keeping the same pay rate, keeps the same dues coming in. What are UPS and the Union doing in those rooms? They are both trying to figure out, what is the minimum we will take. That is why our own union will always tell us it isn't a bad deal. They don't care if it's bad or not. Just pass it!! That's it!