Coronavirus

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Tell that :censored2: California Senator that he's going to need more than handcuffs to lock me in my own house. Newsome and he should get a cell together and throw away the key. :lol:

Politics at play, how sad.... Then, after November 3rd with the election over.... COVID WAS GONE..MIA... lmao.

Inslee admitted in public record that he could not enforce his "mandates" (which should be persondates, right?). He had to explain to the court why some group had no grounds to sue him. Oregon is petitioning to recall Brown, and challenging her mandates in court as well. Are you guys doing anything to push back in California?

MAKAVELI

Tell that :censored2: California Senator that he's going to need more than handcuffs to lock me in my own house. Newsome and he should get a cell together and throw away the key. :lol:

Politics at play, how sad.... Then, after November 3rd with the election over.... COVID WAS GONE..MIA... lmao.

tonyexpress

Whac-A-Troll Patrol
Staff member
We are chaining ourselves (posted in California thread) to Gov Newsome's fence to protest prisoners being in jail. They should be set free.:sad-very::rolleyes:

We visit our local outdoor restaurant/bar to dine at and get food to go from others to support local businesses. Some friends of ours went to protest for the first time in their lives (cause you know, you can't get the vid from protesting) at a school, because of school closings. The school district in our area came up with a reasonable plan to re-open and Gov Newsome shut it down for opening in September. They were giving the parents options... 1. stay home and do online classes. 2. Do a combination of the online and classroom. 3. Do a full classroom.

Leaving the choices up to the parents. Imagine that giving the people a choice rather than being dictated to. Didn't happen because we have a dictator for a governor. Sad the children will suffer and those parents who can't work will also as a result.:furious:

This just in.... Our daughter's friends were waiting in line to get checked for Covid and decided to leave because the line was too long and it was taking too long. Next thing, they are contacted and told they tested positive for the Vid. They didn't even get tested. Now we're hearing on news sources that this is happening all over... It will be kept under wraps for as long as possible, maybe some local news will get the story out, who knows.

tonyexpress

Whac-A-Troll Patrol
Staff member
From your article: "The virus has now killed 566 people in Orange County." Oh, and the reporting is all over the place as far as the real numbers.

In 2017, in Orange County, there were 544 deaths related to the flu and pneumonia. Well, we have a vaccine for that, don't we? Also, we didn't shut down the entire economy either.

Flu and Pneumonia Mortality Trends in Orange County, California

As the wonderful @MAKAVELI likes to say...TTKU. :wink-very: Are you staying safe Mak?

MAKAVELI

From your article: "The virus has now killed 566 people in Orange County." Oh, and the reporting is all over the place as far as the real numbers.

In 2017, in Orange County, there were 544 deaths related to the flu and pneumonia. Well, we have a vaccine for that, don't we? Also, we didn't shut down the entire economy either.

Flu and Pneumonia Mortality Trends in Orange County, California

As the wonderful @MAKAVELI likes to say...TTKU. :wink-very: Are you staying safe Mak?
140 deaths in just two weeks. Ttku. I'm staying as safe as I can as I have family members with underlying health conditions.

zimbomb

Not saying I'm right, my thoughts are that they didn't help, or they are driving the new spike, or may simply have delayed the inevitable. I am just theorizing, and welcome any reasonable counter-arguments.

I think it is reasonable to figure that complete isolation of everyone for the known maximum duration of infection, plus some, should be able to put an end to the pandemic. But such a strategy is straight up impossible. So I think the logic was that some degree of that strategy should have some impact. But it is likelier an all or nothing proposition, and that any exceptions or any gradients in the degree of isolation, would result in failure, and potentially have the opposite of the desired effect.
I'd counter that from a public health stand point if the goal is to reduce the spread of a virus "shutdowns" or current partial "shutdowns" work. It's all about vector control. Reduce the opportunity for people to become infected. The idea that reducing the time family members are at home (school, work) would reduce the viruses spread just doesn't make much sense. Once the virus enters the home it's likely it will spread amongst the family unit with or without being under shutdown. Now getting back to vector control, shutdowns create less vectors of/for infection. Even if let's say an essential worker brings it home the odds are it will stay there, infect the family unit and die off with a shutdown. Without a shutdown nurse Jane brings it home and still infects the family, Joe goes to the Bar infects his buddy's, little Susie eats dinner at the boyfriends house, little Jimmy goes to high school and infects the entire wrestling team, Gorge the morbidly obese couch brings it home to Martha and now she's on life support...

tadpole

I’m scared of dying from a car crash at work. Can I just stay home as well and make more from the government than I do working anyways?
There are 6 million car accidents annually in the United States. That’s unacceptable! A lot of people are dying. Nobody should be driving cars until this is taken care of. It’s too dangerous.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
I'd counter that from a public health stand point if the goal is to reduce the spread of a virus "shutdowns" or current partial "shutdowns" work. It's all about vector control. Reduce the opportunity for people to become infected. The idea that reducing the time family members are at home (school, work) would reduce the viruses spread just doesn't make much sense. Once the virus enters the home it's likely it will spread amongst the family unit with or without being under shutdown. Now getting back to vector control, shutdowns create less vectors of/for infection. Even if let's say an essential worker brings it home the odds are it will stay there, infect the family unit and die off with a shutdown. Without a shutdown nurse Jane brings it home and still infects the family, Joe goes to the Bar infects his buddy's, little Susie eats dinner at the boyfriends house, little Jimmy goes to high school and infects the entire wrestling team, Gorge the morbidly obese couch brings it home to Martha and now she's on life support...

But the numbers aren't supporting that the shutdowns or partial shutdowns work. I contend that the gubmint can dictate all they want, people can't stay isolated to the point that shutdowns would have a positive impact. It's a bad strategy out of the gate, because it hopes for the impossible. A strategy that takes as many factors as possible into account and focuses on what is possible has a better chance at positively impacting the pandemic. With limited resources our strategy should always have focused on the highest risk populations. Helping them get what they need to ride out the pandemic, and let the rest of us decide what risks we are comfortable with.

zimbomb

But the numbers aren't supporting that the shutdowns or partial shutdowns work. I contend that the gubmint can dictate all they want, people can't stay isolated to the point that shutdowns would have a positive impact. It's a bad strategy out of the gate, because it hopes for the impossible. A strategy that takes as many factors as possible into account and focuses on what is possible has a better chance at positively impacting the pandemic. With limited resources our strategy should always have focused on the highest risk populations. Helping them get what they need to ride out the pandemic, and let the rest of us decide what risks we are comfortable with.
Many countries in Europe shutdown and are managing just fine now. They have effective testing that we don't and effective tracing that we lack. Both of which could have happened by memorial day and this current :censored2: show won't be nearly as bad.

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage
Stella Immanuel, one of the participants in the video, responded to Facebook pulling it by threatening them with the wrath of God.

“Hello Facebook put back my profile page and videos up or your computers with start crashing till you do,” wrote Dr. Immanuel on Twitter late Monday. “You are not bigger that God. I promise you. If my page is not back up face book will be down in Jesus name.”

Immanuel is also a minister with sermons posted to YouTube. The description of one upload reads, “How long are we going to allow the gay agenda, secular humanism, Illuminati and the demonic New World Order to destroy our homes, families and the social fiber of America.” Immanuel has also claimed that some medical issues are caused by dream sex with demons and that alien DNA is currently being used in some medical treatments.

Hallelujah!

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Many countries in Europe shutdown and are managing just fine now. They have effective testing that we don't and effective tracing that we lack. Both of which could have happened by memorial day and this current :censored2: show won't be nearly as bad.

The comparison with Europe is mostly a meaningless talking point. If you want to really get into a country by country comparison, we will need to get pretty specific, and agree on what constitutes "managing just fine", "effective testing", and "effective tracing".

If we are going to put things into a broader perspective, I would say that this pandemic is a smashing success compared to the Spanish Flu pandemic. In 18 moths the world wide deaths topped 50 million, with an estimate that unreported deaths could take that to 100 million. With a world population of between 1.5 and 2 billion, that was a disaster of biblical proportions. What we are dealing with doesn't even compare.

zimbomb

The comparison with Europe is mostly a meaningless talking point. If you want to really get into a country by country comparison, we will need to get pretty specific, and agree on what constitutes "managing just fine", "effective testing", and "effective tracing".

If we are going to put things into a broader perspective, I would say that this pandemic is a smashing success compared to the Spanish Flu pandemic. In 18 moths the world wide deaths topped 50 million, with an estimate that unreported deaths could take that to 100 million. With a world population of between 1.5 and 2 billion, that was a disaster of biblical proportions. What we are dealing with doesn't even compare.
So a comparison of a 26 Schengen countries with their own public health organizations is not a fair comparison to the lower 48? Effective meaningful test is 48hr, preferably 24hr turn around. Anything more is pretty much a joke. Well organized contact tracing combined with effective testing is how the rest of the first world has maintained relatively low numbers after shutdowns. Now comparing world wide deaths from 100 years ago to today seems meaningless.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
So a comparison of a 26 Schengen countries with their own public health organizations is not a fair comparison to the lower 48? Effective meaningful test is 48hr, preferably 24hr turn around. Anything more is pretty much a joke. Well organized contact tracing combined with effective testing is how the rest of the first world has maintained relatively low numbers after shutdowns. Now comparing world wide deaths from 100 years ago to today seems meaningless.

No, I didn't mean that your general assessment of what is happening in Europe isn't accurate. It's just too broad to have any meaning for practical debate purposes.

Now that you have gotten more specific about turn around on tests, I agree, our system seems to be set up to test everyone who comes through, even though they don't have symptoms. That is a terrible misuse of limited resources. The fact that many people are being required by their employers to be tested multiple times is also a sign of a mismanaged system.

The push for more testing is at such absurd levels that people are putting off treatment for their actual ailments because they want to be sure it isn't covid first. My MIL refuses to accept her negative result, even though her symptoms seem to suggest a kidney infection, not a respiratory infection. There's a lot of misinformation out there that could cost people their lives or health.

Our testing efforts certainly need to be more targeted. But, though testing gives us some valuable data, we already know what drives the transmission, we need to focus on developing realistic policy that accounts for how it actually spreads, effectively protecting the most vulnerable, and on treatments and therapies for those who do get a bad case. Ventilator use turns out to be another deadly misstep in the response to the virus.