Coronavirus

Cigarette smoking is responsible for more than 480,000 deaths per year in the United States, including more than 41,000 deaths resulting from secondhand smoke exposure. This is about one in five deaths annually, or 1,300 deaths every day.Mar 23, 2020.

Obama smokes, Trump doesn’t.

Where’s your outrage?
Many people have shown outrage over cigarettes. There’s no more smoking on planes, grocery stores, restaurants, and bars. The liberals have destroyed the cigarette industry forever. The irony that Republicans are Big Tobacco funded.

rickyb

No, I'm not saying everything is wrong, and no, the terms are not interchangeable, they all mean different things. Though the absurdist in me would say that we are most likely wrong about everything.
also sweden being #14 or #10 out of 100 or so countries makes little difference.

WHO:
1600888031843.png

they say pretty much the same thing.

Attachments

• 1600887242362.png
    1600887242362.png
    30.7 KB · Views: 62

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
also sweden being #14 or #10 out of 100 or so countries makes little difference.

WHO:
View attachment 310599

they say pretty much the same thing.

It makes a difference if their ranking is dropping.

Up In Smoke

so we can check back in the future and see how they are doing. right now not so hot.
What I found from Statista is Sweden dropped from 10 to 14 because four countries now have been added to the list . Newly added San Marino, Andorra, Sint Maarten and Isle of Man have met the minimum requirement to be included.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
View attachment 310601

poor show. reminds me of america's except better.

what did they do in july to make it fall off so fast?

Nothing. Virus spread follows particular and predictable paths. The drop was due to herd immunity being reached. If any actions taken actually flattened the curve, the number of cases within the curve remains the same. Numbers like actual cases and deaths will vary from area to area based on demographics, reporting methods and other factors, not due to preventive actions.

rickyb

Nothing. Virus spread follows particular and predictable paths. The drop was due to herd immunity being reached. If any actions taken actually flattened the curve, the number of cases within the curve remains the same. Numbers like actual cases and deaths will vary from area to area based on demographics, reporting methods and other factors, not due to preventive actions.

note they say to keep a distance from others. sweden only differs in that they dont recommend face masks in public.

1600890728312.png

so your saying cases wont uptick again in sweden because of herd immunity?

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star

note they say to keep a distance from others. sweden only differs in that they dont recommend face masks in public.

View attachment 310606

so your saying cases wont uptick again in sweden because of herd immunity?

That's the theory. I'm not saying social distancing doesn't do anything, or that Sweden didn't recommend it. But I have my doubts about how effective it is. Again, flattening the curve doesn't change the area inside the curve.

rickyb

more from govt of sweden website. aside from the masks they say pretty much the same thing ive read everywhere...:

How to reduce the spread of COVID-19

We all have a personal responsibility to do what we can in order to prevent the spread of COVID-19.
This is what you can do:
  • Stay at home if you are ill. If you have tested positive for COVID-19 you should stay at home for at least seven days after falling ill including two days with no fever.
  • You should get tested if your symptoms do not pass within 24 hours or if your symptoms do not have some other explanation, e.g. allergy or migraine. Read more on the website 1177.se for advice on sampling in your region. It is always the region that decides who should be tested, based on the regional conditions.
  • Maintain good hand hygiene. Wash your hands with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. If handwashing facilities are not available, alcohol-based hand rub is an alternative. The alcohol-based hand rub should contain at least 60 % alcohol.
  • Avoid touching you face (eyes, nose, mouth). Cover your mouth and nose with your bent elbow or paper tissue when you cough or sneeze.
  • Maintain physical distance from other people, indoors and outdoors in places where people gather such as shops, museums, libraries, civic centres, bathing places, beaches, camping sites, open-air cafés and restaurants.
  • Avoid social gatherings like parties, funerals, and weddings.
  • Maintain physical distance from other people at sports grounds, in swimming baths, in gyms, and other exercise facilities. Avoid using public changing rooms.
  • If possible, travel by other means than public transportation, e.g. by bicycle or walk.
  • If you need to travel by public transport, it is preferable to choose an alternative where it is possible to book a seat in advance, e.g. train. We advise you to avoid any travel by public transport where you cannot book a seat in advance, e.g. trams, subway and local buses. If this is not possible, ensure physical distance from other people.
  • Do not travel at rush hour unless necessary.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
more from govt of sweden website. aside from the masks they say pretty much the same thing ive read everywhere...:

How to reduce the spread of COVID-19

We all have a personal responsibility to do what we can in order to prevent the spread of COVID-19.
This is what you can do:
  • Stay at home if you are ill. If you have tested positive for COVID-19 you should stay at home for at least seven days after falling ill including two days with no fever.
  • You should get tested if your symptoms do not pass within 24 hours or if your symptoms do not have some other explanation, e.g. allergy or migraine. Read more on the website 1177.se for advice on sampling in your region. It is always the region that decides who should be tested, based on the regional conditions.
  • Maintain good hand hygiene. Wash your hands with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. If handwashing facilities are not available, alcohol-based hand rub is an alternative. The alcohol-based hand rub should contain at least 60 % alcohol.
  • Avoid touching you face (eyes, nose, mouth). Cover your mouth and nose with your bent elbow or paper tissue when you cough or sneeze.
  • Maintain physical distance from other people, indoors and outdoors in places where people gather such as shops, museums, libraries, civic centres, bathing places, beaches, camping sites, open-air cafés and restaurants.
  • Avoid social gatherings like parties, funerals, and weddings.
  • Maintain physical distance from other people at sports grounds, in swimming baths, in gyms, and other exercise facilities. Avoid using public changing rooms.
  • If possible, travel by other means than public transportation, e.g. by bicycle or walk.
  • If you need to travel by public transport, it is preferable to choose an alternative where it is possible to book a seat in advance, e.g. train. We advise you to avoid any travel by public transport where you cannot book a seat in advance, e.g. trams, subway and local buses. If this is not possible, ensure physical distance from other people.
  • Do not travel at rush hour unless necessary.

And they only recommended it, not ruined people's lives over it.

rickyb

1600891748130.png

1600891843091.png

this article is from a famous canadian uni from a author i dont know.

i agree with u that what they recommend and why the curve flattened are 2 separate things. guess i would need a time line. if the govt couldnt do a national lockdown and only regions could do it, then maybe the public acted in way which showed they could self regulate (ie social distancing) and the curve reflected this. maybe americans are unable to self regulate partly because they live in a more corrupt business dominated country.

one thing is Europeans take alot of vacation by law. 6 weeks or so. and i think quite often its in the summer.

rickyb

in many ways the ruining of lives could be a north american phenomenon or the austerity ravaged places in EU.

if the govt doesnt protect people from banks incessant demands of rent collection during a pandemic, then its the govt's fault.

rickyb