Coworkers opted not to work and getting unemployment?

MAKAVELI

I work for Express and found out 5 couriers at our station “opted out” not to work due to the pandemic. We were told we could do this but would not be compensated. Now I find out these coworkers not only are not working but are getting unemployment along with the additional $600 a week the Feds are kicking in. So, how is it you can make a $1000 a week sitting at home when you DO have a job? And what about us employees that are working and picking up all the slack? Unbelievable we are not getting a little something more out of this. I’ll get off my soapbox now.
Depends on your state's unemployment benefits for Covid-19. Here in California you can choose to stay home if you or a family member's has an underlying health condition or care for a child that can't go to school and receive unemployment benefits.

AB831

I’m only 27... I could care less about social security.
That’s the problem though. I’m 29 and I don’t care about it now, but 36 years from now, I’m not going to want to be driving a delivery truck still because there’s no way for me to feasibly retire. I’m going to school to try to find a white collar job that I can do into my 70s because I’m operating under the assumption that retirement may not be an option for millennials. I strongly recommend doing something similar or at least managing your money very well in the meantime.

Last edited:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

That’s the problem though. I’m 29 and I don’t care about it now, but 36 years from now, I’m not going to want to be driving a delivery truck still because there’s no way for me to feasibly retire. I’m going to school to try to find a white collar job that I can do into my 70s because I’m operating under the assumption that retirement may not be an option for millennials. I strongly recommend doing something similar or at least managing your money very well in the meantime.

With proper financial planning you should be able to retire in your late 50's/early 60's.

McFeely

Huge Member
Can someone post the MAP memo Fedex passed out. I can’t find the original post that was on here.

9BB870CE-E698-48BC-8F5C-78D3959D8E6F.jpeg

rod

Retired 22 years
we actually had a feeder driver like that. he was out more than he worked. I think he only put in about 500 hours in a year so he would get credit for his pension. Knew every angle for taking time off. 6-7 vacations , holidays and sick days , FMLA and more.

Think his wife was a professional who made a ton more than he did.
@Brownslave688 ?

ManInBrown

Same. Express put out a memo stating that you could take off if you were scared of the COVID-19. The compensation would be your vaction/personal/floating holidays first, then your sick days, then the rest of the time would be unpaid.

It's possible that those 5 employees aren't telling a complete and accurate story.
If I had to put money on it I almost guarantee they are telling the truth. Number one FedEx isn’t going to openly suggest collecting unemployment. That’s between the employee and the state. Number two at UPS lower seniority feeder drivers get laid off every year Jan-Mar. They have the choice to work inside or be laid off. The ones that chose lay-off collect unemployment. Number 3 the unemployment system is so bogged down right now I guarantee they just pay everybody who applies. If they’re going to investigate it, it will be at a later date. OP is a puss who is jealous. Nothing more.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

There's a myriad of factors that can sway that one way or the other, but yes, that's what you want to strive for.

The "myriad of factors" is called life and, yes, life can get in the way of proper financial planning.

Kids have this bad habit of wanting to eat (at least) 3 times a day and to wear clothes when leaving the house.

AB831

The "myriad of factors" is called life and, yes, life can get in the way of proper financial planning.

Kids have this bad habit of wanting to eat (at least) 3 times a day and to wear clothes when leaving the house.
Exactly. And there's so many factors beyond your control such as a virus wrecking the economy and such. I'm only 29 now, but I'm very future oriented. I'm very careful about how I spend and invest my money. In the meantime, I try to control what I can and that includes trying to set myself up for a prolonged career if necessary, although I hope to be able to retire in my late 50s, early 60s, like you said.

I am FedEx

So, if I understand correctly. If you have a child and are unable to get or have access to child care, you can request for leave from express and they will hold your route for you. During this time you can draw upon the unemployment from the government to provide adequate income for you.

MAKAVELI

So, if I understand correctly. If you have a child and are unable to get or have access to child care, you can request for leave from express and they will hold your route for you. During this time you can draw upon the unemployment from the government to provide adequate income for you.
You can get a leave of absence but unemployment will depend on your state. FedEx does not qualify for the FFCRA.

Working4the1%

You did it..happy face and a Red star for you

Ou812fu

Polishing toilet bowls since 1966.
With proper financial planning you should be able to retire in your late 50's/early 60's.
Dear lord. If you plan right and figure things out when you are 18. You can retire in your thirties. There is not one thing you say that is true/all knowing one.
Better pick up a license for all this free financial advice you give.

yadadamean116

I work for Express and found out 5 couriers at our station “opted out” not to work due to the pandemic. We were told we could do this but would not be compensated. Now I find out these coworkers not only are not working but are getting unemployment along with the additional $600 a week the Feds are kicking in. So, how is it you can make a $1000 a week sitting at home when you DO have a job? And what about us employees that are working and picking up all the slack? Unbelievable we are not getting a little something more out of this. I’ll get off my soapbox now.
They won’t receive the essential hero’s pay when it passes. Good for them

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Dear lord. If you plan right and figure things out when you are 18. You can retire in your thirties. There is not one thing you say that is true/all knowing one.
Better pick up a license for all this free financial advice you give.

Why in the world would anyone want to retire in their thirties?