Customer Service..Ground strikes again

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
I’d say a lot of it is a company to cheap to value people and make it’s positions competitive with others. It’s not like they don’t make the profit to do so. They simply choose not to.
But @59 Dano says that the hubs offering even premium pay are unable to properly staff. That supports their theory that there is no such thing as sufficient compensation, therefore why throw more money at it.

Do you feel that more money for the last mile personnel would solve the problem?

bbsam

Staff member
But @59 Dano says that the hubs offering even premium pay are unable to properly staff. That supports their theory that there is no such thing as sufficient compensation, therefore why throw more money at it.

Do you feel that more money for the last mile personnel would solve the problem?
Can they afford $23.50/hr plus benefits for package handlers and not the same figure for day one drivers (like that bacha😀)? I think it would help a lot, yes.

Aquaman

Well the hubs also need to do the most hiring. So of course higher pay isn’t going to just solve that problem overnight.

bacha29

Can they afford $23.50/hr plus benefits for package handlers and not the same figure for day one drivers (like that bacha😀)? I think it would help a lot, yes.
Your point is well taken. Therefore you might want to consider moving your timeline for packing it in up a little bit because this problem is likely to be here for awhile.

bbsam

Staff member
Your point is well taken. Therefore you might want to consider moving your timeline for packing it in up a little bit because this problem is likely to be here for awhile.
Nah. Still profitable. I’m fairly certain of massive contractor failure across the country this peak to the point where they simply have to increase compensation across the board. There’s a certain failure level they seem almost comfortable with before they do the obvious.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
Well the hubs also need to do the most hiring. So of course higher pay isn’t going to just solve that problem overnight.
But we're an overnight package company!

Ironic that the Ghost of Pay Actions Past has come back to haunt the bean counters, potentially wrecking Fred's Last Great Comeback.

bacha29

Nah. Still profitable. I’m fairly certain of massive contractor failure across the country this peak to the point where they simply have to increase compensation across the board. There’s a certain failure level they seem almost comfortable with before they do the obvious.
Time to start getting the so called "Letter To Correct" letters written up and ready to go (as if they'll do any good) because if you're right and there's no reason to doubt you they're going to be sending out a bunch of them .
I've listened to and read numerous qualified opinions on the matter saying that the problem is much more demographic that economic.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
So easy to throw unlimited amounts of someone else's money at a problem and pretend it'll work.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
Don't have one. What's your point?
You just feel obliged to criticize those who point out that FedEx's penny-pinching is counterproductive.

Since the company's non-union, why don't we unsaddle all those parked in leather chairs, and put them to work in the hub, on a, say, 5-day rotation, until they become enlightened regarding the value of the 'mouth-breathing' handlers. Then have them write an essay on the original meaning of the P-S-P philosophy.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
You just feel obliged to criticize those who point out that FedEx's penny-pinching is counterproductive.
They often don't know what they're talking about. Some random poster looks at the earnings report, sees big money, and immediately assumes that there's enough there to do everything he wants done from now until the end of time without regard to anything else. Running a business of any size, let alone one the size and scale of Express, isn't as easy as running a household and managing a household budget.

Since the company's non-union, why don't we unsaddle all those parked in leather chairs, and put them to work in the hub, on a, say, 5-day rotation, until they become enlightened regarding the value of the 'mouth-breathing' handlers. Then have them write an essay on the original meaning of the P-S-P philosophy.
"Git them soots out thar and make 'em do ahr jerbs!"

Meanwhile, we can put handlers in THEIR positions! Wouldn't that be great? Have them tasked with coming up with the most beneficial amortization schedule for upcoming capital expenditures. Maybe have them run a regression analysis to determine how much of an effect the rate of pay and performance incentives have on QSI, and by how much.

bacha29

They often don't know what they're talking about. Some random poster looks at the earnings report, sees big money, and immediately assumes that there's enough there to do everything he wants done from now until the end of time without regard to anything else. Running a business of any size, let alone one the size and scale of Express, isn't as easy as running a household and managing a household budget.

Meanwhile, we can put handlers in THEIR positions! Wouldn't that be great? Have them tasked with coming up with the most beneficial amortization schedule for upcoming capital expenditures. Maybe have them run a regression analysis to determine how much of an effect the rate of pay and performance incentives have on QSI, and by how much.
You talk about me being long winded.
These comments of your could have been summed up in one simple sentence.

You no pay..... they no stay.

floridays

You're a pompous sonofabitch.

I'll let @Fred's Myth take the first bite out of your apple, you did reply to his post after all.

Don't despair, I want my bite as well.

Get him Fred :thumbup1: .

NC man

Does Fed pay the contractors at Ground? Idk how it works exactly except the contractors pay the drivers,daily lump sum or by the stop/pkg deld? Do contractors buy trucks or lease them from Fed or buy on their own?

As far as Ground hiring and keeping drivers I can’t see someone doing it for 30 yrs or more like Express with all the heavy stuff they deliver now.My route is 99% resi and most pkgs fit on the shelves,rarely anything big or heavy.

DeliveryException

I just want the person who signed off on the 600's to actually run a route for a week or two in one.
The most rattley(that doesn't look like a word but whatever), back breaking, tooth jarring POS that we've had.

The newest ones are a little better with air ride seat and minimal padding on doors but still, I would much rather be in a 900 if I needed something bigger than the sprinter I use now. I have thought about bidding on routes that are better than mine but they have 600 assigned but no thanks.

floridays

I just want the person who signed off on the 600's to actually run a route for a week or two in one.
The most rattley(that doesn't look like a word but whatever), back breaking, tooth jarring POS that we've had.

The newest ones are a little better with air ride seat and minimal padding on doors but still, I would much rather be in a 900 if I needed something bigger than the sprinter I use now. I have thought about bidding on routes that are better than mine but they have 600 assigned but no thanks.
Bitch, bitch, bitch....

You can ride on @rod 's last ride he turned in when he retired.

wagon.jpg

rod

Retired 22 years
Bitch, bitch, bitch....

You can ride on @rod 's last ride he turned in when he retired.

View attachment 344945
I learned quickly at UPS that the only thing a bigger truck will get you is MORE packages. I Jumped at the chance to trade my old high step P-800 for a new power steering, smooth riding P-700 International diesel. My load was jammed in it from front to back back but it sure was a nice ride.

floridays

I learned quickly at UPS that the only thing a bigger truck will get you is MORE packages. I Jumped at the chance to trade my old high step P-800 for a new power steering, smooth riding P-700 International diesel. My load was jammed in it from front to back back but it sure was a nice ride.
How are you Rod?
Respect vet. :thumbup1: