Do you have a valid non CDL Class C license?

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by That Guy In Brown, Oct 31, 2019.

1. That Guy In Brown

That Guy In Brown New Member

Hi all,

I was a driver helper and sorter several years ago. Left UPS and have been driving a city bus on a class B CDL since then. That's now ending and I'd like to apply for a seasonal driver position back at UPS but the application says, "Do you have a valid non CDL Class C license?" I know my B is "above" the standard C and should be backwards compatible, but the way they worded the question made me wonder if they turn away class B and *require* a class C. Any help or advice is appreciated. thanks.

2. scooby0048

scooby0048 This page left intentionally blank

I can't believe you really have to ask that question and I can't believe I'm actually going to respond. You need a license to drive at UPS. The class C or D is the lowest form of license you can get above a learner's permit.

They were right, it was pretty easy and fulfilling being nice. Thanks!

3. Yeet

Yeet Inbound, turnaround, go to town

Class A, B, and C are CDL’s aren’t they? Class D is a basic drivers license.

4. scooby0048

Class C or D in some states is the basic license. I don't remember which ones use the C and which ones use the D.

5. Yeet

Yeet Inbound, turnaround, go to town

Gotcha. Just looked it up and apparently there are non-CDL class C’s which basically means you can drive any non commercial vehicle weighing less than 26,000 pounds.

6. scooby0048

Ya know, there are even some states that require a valid chauffeur's to work for UPS.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • List
  7. That Guy In Brown

Yes, but the way the question is worded made me wonder if they, for whatever reason, don't want someone with a class B. Back when I was with them driving wasn't on my radar so I don't know what they're looking for other than what the application says. Thanks.

8. scooby0048

What state are you in?

They just want you to have a valid driver license higher than a permit or motorcycle.

9. That Guy In Brown

I'm in Illinois. Here class D is regular, class C is first level CDL, class B is next with air brakes/vehicles that hold more than 16 persons, class A is tractor/trailer.

10. That Guy In Brown

Got it, thanks!

11. Poop Head

Poop Head Lovin' every minute of it!

I heard they started using drones to drive city bus in il. Mass layoffs

12. silenze

silenze Lunch is the best part of the day

They are all backwards compatible. My class a license lists ABCD on the front. If i had a class b it would list BCD

13. over9five

over9five Moderator Staff Member

You are WAAAAAAY over-thinking this. You're all set with your class B!

14. oldngray

oldngray nowhere special

lowest other than a motorcycle only license

15. barnyard

barnyard KTM rider Staff Member

You are reading way, way, way too much into that.

16. scooby0048

So higher than a permit or motorcycle?

17. iowa boy

iowa boy Well-Known Member

This I can vouch for...