Does This Sound Like Anyone You Know?

Maui

TN as a whole isn't living off the work of other states. TN happens to be surprisingly advanced in many areas. A visit to Nashville would soon convince you. You have said nothing that isn't based on facts, just old stereotypes about hillbillies, rednecks, and the Delta. And while there is some of that in rural backwaters, you won't let the facts get in the way, such as TN having the 9th best economy of all the States. And by the way, if you are familiar with the work being done at Oak Ridge then you already know where a large percentage of Federal money flowing into Tennessee is going.

Of course I know ORNL. I am a Tennessean. Born in the area Sniper lives. I've been all over the state. You are correct that what I have said about the economy there is based on fact. The amount of money paid in taxes vs. the amount of money received is an indisputable fact and for some reason you believe that saying it isn't so can change that fact.

9th best economy? Based on what criteria? According to whom? You want facts? How about these? Tennessee ranks 45th in median income and 39th on income per capita, at 8.5% the unemployment rank is 41, TN punches slightly below its weight class with the 17th ranked population and 21st ranked GDP (41st per capita) and ranks 40th for the percentage of residents living in poverty. How did you determine this was the "9th best economy"? Oh, TN had 3.3% GDP growth in 2012? CA and TX both have much much larger GDP and both grew faster in goal dollars and percentage.

That may be enough for you and Sniper's echo chamber, but hardly makes for one of the best economies by objective, fact-based data.

thedownhillEXPRESS

Of course I know ORNL. I am a Tennessean. Born in the area Sniper lives. I've been all over the state. You are correct that what I have said about the economy there is based on fact. The amount of money paid in taxes vs. the amount of money received is an indisputable fact and for some reason you believe that saying it isn't so can change that fact.

9th best economy? Based on what criteria? According to whom? You want facts? How about these? Tennessee ranks 45th in median income and 39th on income per capita, at 8.5% the unemployment rank is 41, TN punches slightly below its weight class with the 17th ranked population and 21st ranked GDP (41st per capita) and ranks 40th for the percentage of residents living in poverty. How did you determine this was the "9th best economy"? Oh, TN had 3.3% GDP growth in 2012? CA and TX both have much much larger GDP and both grew faster in goal dollars and percentage.

That may be enough for you and Sniper's echo chamber, but hardly makes for one of the best economies by objective, fact-based data.

Todays Republicans live in their own world, hiding in their basements hoarding soup and water.
Facts mean nothing to them.

vantexan

I base that on an article in USAToday back in June that discussed the ten best state economies. What you are essentially saying is Tennessee is a bad state that'll never get better. Guess what, it's improving.

Maui

I base that on an article in USAToday back in June that discussed the ten best state economies. What you are essentially saying is Tennessee is a bad state that'll never get better. Guess what, it's improving.

That is a faulty assumption. I never said it was a bad state. There is much potential there as there is most places, but the people being elected in CD-01 are NOT making decisions to make things better for the majority of Tennesseans.

vantexan

That is a faulty assumption. I never said it was a bad state. There is much potential there as there is most places, but the people being elected in CD-01 are NOT making decisions to make things better for the majority of Tennesseans.

​Such as?

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Ever watch movies based in the South? There's always a scene at some point that often has nothing to do with the plot. In it a black man is showing approval towards the white protagonist. It's Hollywood's not so subtle way to tell those watching that it's ok to like the protagonist. He's one of the good Southern whites. In this way Hollywood continues to promote old, tired stereotypes about Southerners and shape millions of people's views of the South. I've been in all but 4 States myself, have lived extended periods in many of them, and have found racist attitudes everywhere I've gone. And none more so than in the Northeast. It's really easy to dump on the South, you don't like the business climate afterall, but check the growth rates in the Sunbelt. Most of those many millions that have moved into the South in the last 40 years are from the North. Many were blacks who moved back to places like Atlanta and Charlotte from places like Detroit and Chicago because they just found the South to be friendlier and safer. When you drag out the old, tired stereotypes you just make yourself look ignorant.

I've been to the South plenty of times, and I have seen racism first-hand. Remember, I'm married to a Black woman, OK? Maybe you don't experience it when you're walking down the street, but you're a White boy. We certainly have as a mixed couple, and it's been pretty blatant sometimes. The South has changed on the surface. Scratch a bit under the surface and you'll see all of the old ugliness. The business climate has nothing to do with this issue, which makes you look ignorant for introducing it as a factor...it isn't. Racist attitudes are deeply ingrained in the South.

vantexan

I've been to the South plenty of times, and I have seen racism first-hand. Remember, I'm married to a Black woman, OK? Maybe you don't experience it when you're walking down the street, but you're a White boy. We certainly have as a mixed couple, and it's been pretty blatant sometimes. The South has changed on the surface. Scratch a bit under the surface and you'll see all of the old ugliness. The business climate has nothing to do with this issue, which makes you look ignorant for introducing it as a factor...it isn't. Racist attitudes are deeply ingrained in the South.

And you went to Memphis, a hotbed of racial tension. Doesn't mean you can paint the entire South with the same brush. People are mixing more than ever, mixed marriages abound, biracial children are everywhere, there aren't lynchings and cross burnings. Get over it already!

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
And you went to Memphis, a hotbed of racial tension. Doesn't mean you can paint the entire South with the same brush. People are mixing more than ever, mixed marriages abound, biracial children are everywhere, there aren't lynchings and cross burnings. Get over it already!

I think you can skip Mexico and move-in with your brother in TN with the nice pool.

vantexan

Such as Senator's Corker's remarks and actions regarding VW.

I lived in Cleveland, and that area along with Chattanooga is a prime example of a booming economy. You can't have it both ways. You either provide the conditions that attracts business and puts people to work, or you stay mired in the mindset that you won't work unless provided with extremely high pay and great benefits, thus driving away business and turning once prosperous cities into bankrupt wastelands. It's your choice. Granted we don't want a world of FedEx Ground-like companies, but there seems to be no willingness to compromise on this board and in this country, on both sides. And all of you are effing up a great country, conservative and liberal alike.

Maui

I lived in Cleveland, and that area along with Chattanooga is a prime example of a booming economy. You can't have it both ways. You either provide the conditions that attracts business and puts people to work, or you stay mired in the mindset that you won't work unless provided with extremely high pay and great benefits, thus driving away business and turning once prosperous cities into bankrupt wastelands. It's your choice. Granted we don't want a world of FedEx Ground-like companies, but there seems to be no willingness to compromise on this board and in this country, on both sides. And all of you are effing up a great country, conservative and liberal alike.

I think we will have to agree to disagree on what conditions are necessary to attract business as I believe we likely have very different ideas.

TN is growing and that is a good thing. My hope is that durable manufacturing sticks this time and we see wages increase. A union/worker's council would go a long way toward helping move TN forward. I don't have the exact numbers, but tens of thousands of Tennesseans work in the automotive industry with VW, Nissan, GM and several Tier 1 suppliers. Supplier wages have not only nor kept up with inflation in TN, but have declined in real dollars.

Sniper

I think you can skip Mexico and move-in with your brother in TN with the nice pool.

Tell him MrFedEx, that nice pool I paid for from my "labor" from the job I love, most days. Then we can chill in the shop, I started from my pay for my "labor" at FedEx.

Again, it's not WHAT you make but WHAT you DO with it.

Maui

Detroit comes to mind....alas...

Detroit was mismanaged and quality was really poor for decades. After WWII, the American automakers turned their nose to Lean Manufacturing that became the Toyoda system and Japan started to kill us with greater efficiency, a passion for continuous improvement, and a dedicated workforce.

GM management made the decision to accept contracts for losses, not the union.

vantexan

Tell him MrFedEx, that nice pool I paid for from my "labor" from the job I love, most days. Then we can chill in the shop, I started from my pay for my "labor" at FedEx.

Again, it's not WHAT you make but WHAT you DO with it.

But that's easy for a topped out courier in a reasonably priced area to say. Midrange employees only have it good if you compare them with even lower paid workers. We don't want greed, but we don't want a race to the bottom either.

vantexan

Detroit was mismanaged and quality was really poor for decades. After WWII, the American automakers turned their nose to Lean Manufacturing that became the Toyoda system and Japan started to kill us with greater efficiency, a passion for continuous improvement, and a dedicated workforce.

GM management made the decision to accept contracts for losses, not the union.
And those union workers knew their high pay was contingent on poor quality that brought consumers back to the dealership after 100,000 miles or so. Plenty of blame to go around for Detroit's demise.

Sniper

If you would have stayed your first hitch would you be topped out now? I like you, don't take it the wrong way. I got a "divorce" once. When I "remarried" again it sure wasn't to my first wife.

There are issues to be addressed with mid-range couriers, my present and last wife reminds me weekly of that.