Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I use a Dedicated yard mule. It has the hydraulic 5th wheel boom. I work the preload so I have to move much faster and I get anxious when I have to move the 48' and 53' on and off.
You don't have to move "much faster". You're handling heavy equipment so your number one concern is safety. Take it easy and don't let those jerk offs on the preload push you into moving faster than you feel comfortable. Once you've been shifting for a little while you'll get get more of a feel for it and you won't feel so stressed.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Don't want to give too much info but I'm a Current Part-Timer. Bid on a position, completed training and am now feeling buyers remorse about it after 2 days in new role. Am I able to give up the spot?
Work so poorly, they will eagerly send you back.

Heavy Package

Bid on a position, completed training and am now feeling buyers remorse about it after 2 days in new role

I feel like I am on....

millennial-falcon.jpg

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
I use a Dedicated yard mule. It has the hydraulic 5th wheel boom. I work the preload so I have to move much faster and I get anxious when I have to move the 48' and 53' on and off.

If your in a yardbird just relax and give it a few weeks. Shifting on preload is easy money compared to a twilight or night sort.

Yardbirds have plenty of mirrors and rear facing lights so you can see what's going on. Clear your turns, watch the tailswing and chill. In a few weeks you'll think the job is easy because it is.

specter208

If your in a yardbird just relax and give it a few weeks. Shifting on preload is easy money compared to a twilight or night sort.

Yardbirds have plenty of mirrors and rear facing lights so you can see what's going on. Clear your turns, watch the tailswing and chill. In a few weeks you'll think the job is easy because it is.
Thanks for your encouragement. Do you have any advice on how I should set up the trailers? I was thinking of parking the longest trailers first and furthest down the line and then the smaller ones up, going from left to right in the Pic I posted.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    50.9 KB · Views: 211
Last edited:

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
Thanks for your encouragement. Do you have any advice on how I should set up the trailers? I was thinking of parking the longest trailers first and furthest down the line and then the smaller ones up, going from left to right in the Pic I posted.

How many trailers does your preload run? How many long boxes?

I can't believe they let you choose where and when to put trailers. Even the smallest centers I go to usually tell me where to put the trailers I bring in.

You need to make sure you don't save long boxes to the very end. They will be angry if all doors are close to being down and you put up a 100% long box.

Indecisi0n

This the space I have to work in. To Pull 53' trailers from the dock with anything next to them, my tractor tires end up being only inches away from the curb. Or trying to back anything longer than 40 feet past and around a 48' or 53' seems too risky.
You'll be the best backer in 6 months time.

specter208

How many trailers does your preload run? How many long boxes?

I can't believe they let you choose where and when to put trailers. Even the smallest centers I go to usually tell me where to put the trailers I bring in.

You need to make sure you don't save long boxes to the very end. They will be angry if all doors are close to being down and you put up a 100% long box.
Yesterday's preload shift was 8-9 trailers. 5 were ZZZ type and the rest were pups. I was told to put up whatever had arrived and however I felt would be easier for me.

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
Yesterday's preload shift was 8-9 trailers. 5 were ZZZ type and the rest were pups. I was told to put up whatever had arrived and however I felt would be easier for me.

That's a pretty easy day.

I would ask the other person you work with how he puts the doors in. I'm assuming at least 1 other person is working M-friend.

specter208

That's a pretty easy day.

I would ask the other person you work with how he puts the doors in. I'm assuming at least 1 other person is working M-friend.
Yes, you are correct. I'm only doing it Saturday and backup the rest of the week. Haven't been able to speak to our other shifter since I was gone for training.

Nike

Dude take your time, people have died because of trailer accidents and mishaps. Don't let anyone rush you, moving trailers should be a decent gig since you shouldn't have anybody breathing down your back and be able to supervise yourself.

specter208

Dude take your time, people have died because of trailer accidents and mishaps. Don't let anyone rush you, moving trailers should be a decent gig since you shouldn't have anybody breathing down your back and be able to supervise yourself.
I feel that I am over thinking this.

My first day could have been really easy except there was some miscommunication between where some of the retention trailers were supposed to go and I ended up doing a little more work than necessary.

What gave me bad feelings though was at one point, I was informed to spot a just arrived 48' and the only available dock was between two 53' trailers and didnt feel safe enough to attempt it in our small unload yard. I also started thinking about the possibility of getting all long trailers during a preload sort and not be able to pull them when unloaded due to very little maneuvering space.

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
I feel that I am over thinking this.

My first day could have been really easy except there was some miscommunication between where some of the retention trailers were supposed to go and I ended up doing a little more work than necessary.

What gave me bad feelings though was at one point, I was informed to spot a just arrived 48' and the only available dock was between two 53' trailers and didnt feel safe enough to attempt it in our small unload yard. I also started thinking about the possibility of getting all long trailers during a preload sort and not be able to pull them when unloaded due to very little maneuvering space.
Can’t you talk to someone else who does the job where you are? They must be able to do it, ask them what to do when so and so happens.