Drivers getting disqualified

bbsam

Staff member
Except I won't be doing the exploiting. And you'd be doing exactly what they do in Central America if laws here didn't prevent it. And Lord knows they're trying to get the laws changed here.

So you will simply enjoy the fruits of the exploitation in Central America. That should soothe any moral qualms you may have.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

And that's all they'll ever have.

I'm not saying it's right but the last time I checked companies are in business to make money. bbsam, inc., makes money by finding qualified drivers who are willing to accept his terms and conditions for employment. If bbsam is getting $.50/pkg from Fred he would be foolish to turn around and pay his drivers $.50/pkg; however, if he is able to find a qualified driver who is willing to accept $.25/pkg he would then have the resources to acquire additional routes and hire additonal drivers to cover those routes while still turning a profit.

bbsam, inc., has operating costs not unlike any other business. He also expects to make a profit. It is the level of profit that you are understandably upset about.

vantexan

So you will simply enjoy the fruits of the exploitation in Central America. That should soothe any moral qualms you may have.

No sir, I'll be spending my hard earned pension where it can do the most good. You know it's one thing to have it done to you. It's a whole other matter when you do it to others. You should keep that in mind.

bbsam

Staff member
No sir, I'll be spending my hard earned pension where it can do the most good. You know it's one thing to have it done to you. It's a whole other matter when you do it to others. You should keep that in mind.

You've mentioned the CA countries you plan to retire to. Why do you think your dollar goes that far down there? You should keep that in mind.

vantexan

bbsam, inc., has operating costs not unlike any other business. He also expects to make a profit. It is the level of profit that you are understandably upset about.

And as a well paid employee with great benefits you either don't know or don't remember what it's like to work for a company that pushes you to accept less and less until you are just basically existing for their benefit. And have to just stand there and take it as they explain in simpleton terms the way of the world to you. It's dehumanizing exploitation. They may have the upper hand, the world may be their oyster, but they aren't going to get a free pass from me to think their little world is perfect as is. I'm not for companies, or governments, shelling out more than they take in to employees. I'm all for them making a decent profit. But working people 60-70 hrs a week for $500 and no benefits is exploiting them. And if Ground drivers don't need a CDL then what qualifications are we talking about? Hey, you passed a drug screen, welcome aboard!

vantexan

You've mentioned the CA countries you plan to retire to. Why do you think your dollar goes that far down there? You should keep that in mind.

And you should keep in mind the American owned sweatshops as well as companies like United Fruit. As recently as the 90's many thousands of Guatemalan Indians were slaughtered with assistance from the C.I.A.. That's documented fact.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

And as a well paid employee with great benefits you either don't know or don't remember what it's like to work for a company that pushes you to accept less and less until you are just basically existing for their benefit. And have to just stand there and take it as they explain in simpleton terms the way of the world to you. It's dehumanizing exploitation. They may have the upper hand, the world may be their oyster, but they aren't going to get a free pass from me to think their little world is perfect as is. I'm not for companies, or governments, shelling out more than they take in to employees. I'm all for them making a decent profit. But working people 60-70 hrs a week for $500 and no benefits is exploiting them. And if Ground drivers don't need a CDL then what qualifications are we talking about? Hey, you passed a drug screen, welcome aboard!

I worked in a factory that made Christmas bulbs for two summers while in college. Do you know how the clips are attached to the bulbs? By hand. Picture one of our belts, but instead of pkg cars you have employees, usually women because they are gentler with the bulbs. The bulbs come down the belt, an employee grabs one with their left hand while fastening the clip with their right, and the bulb goes back on to the belt to be put in to a box. The belt is moving faster than and their production standards are higher. Picture doing this for 8-12 hours a day for minimum wage. That, my friend, is exploitation.

I agree with you that the wages at Ground are sub-par but I will also tell you that if it came down to a matter of me having to put food on my table and a roof over my head I would work for bbsam, inc. My pride prevents me from accepting welfare.

bbsam

Staff member
I worked in a factory that made Christmas bulbs for two summers while in college. Do you know how the clips are attached to the bulbs? By hand. Picture one of our belts, but instead of pkg cars you have employees, usually women because they are gentler with the bulbs. The bulbs come down the belt, an employee grabs one with their left hand while fastening the clip with their right, and the bulb goes back on to the belt to be put in to a box. The belt is moving faster than and their production standards are higher. Picture doing this for 8-12 hours a day for minimum wage. That, my friend, is exploitation.

I agree with you that the wages at Ground are sub-par but I will also tell you that if it came down to a matter of me having to put food on my table and a roof over my head I would work for bbsam, inc.

And I will tell you that wages at Ground are going to go up and quality will be the new bench-mark.

vantexan

I agree with you that the wages at Ground are sub-par but I will also tell you that if it came down to a matter of me having to put food on my table and a roof over my head I would work for bbsam, inc. My pride prevents me from accepting welfare.

And I worked 35 hrs a week when I was 12 in the Florida sun picking weeds for $1hr. I'd work for bbsam too if I had to. And, as a district director asked to meet me personally because he never heard of a courier consistently running at 150%, bbsam would be getting a great deal. And I'd be telling him that he should pay better and reward me for working hard for him. FedEx will work you into the ground and look for any excuse to lower your raise. But that's fine for me. You may feel differently if it were you and had been going on for years.

bbsam

Staff member
And you should keep in mind the American owned sweatshops as well as companies like United Fruit. As recently as the 90's many thousands of Guatemalan Indians were slaughtered with assistance from the C.I.A.. That's documented fact.

So what you are really saying is that you want the quality of life that I enjoy here and are annoyed that you have to move to CA to get it. Ok. But that doesn't really give you the moral high-ground, now, does it?

vantexan

So what you are really saying is that you want the quality of life that I enjoy here and are annoyed that you have to move to CA to get it. Ok. But that doesn't really give you the moral high-ground, now, does it?

No, I won't have your lifestyle. I'll have a simple apartment and no car. Better that than to work until I drop just to make wealthy men wealthier. FREEDOMMMM!!

bbsam

Staff member
No, I won't have your lifestyle. I'll have a simple apartment and no car. Better that than to work until I drop just to make wealthy men wealthier. FREEDOMMMM!!

Ok Mel. Could probably do that in this country, so why Latin America? What could possibly draw you there?

vantexan

Not surprised that you took it that way. The emphasis will be on quality. Probably on par with Express. The long-term goal of bringing the ISP model to Express just got much, much, shorter.

Doesn't matter, won't be at the company when it happens. And if the day comes where Express employees have to work for no benefits and probably less pay, I bet most of them will quit.

vantexan

Ok Mel. Could probably do that in this country, so why Latin America? What could possibly draw you there?

Actually headed to Peru. Can rent a decent apartment for $150 a month, DirecTV for $50 a month, mild year round temps, a week's worth of fruit and vegetables for $10. I'll have a fixed pension of $1100 a month before taxes and can get by there for less than $700. Can't do that in the States. Oh, will have Internet, a Kindle for reading, and there's a new 8 screen Cinemark near where I'll live that plays the latest movies in English with Spanish subtitles. Most Americans have been conditioned to believe certain things about Latin America. Fact is that they've progressed and moved on, and have different perspectives on how things should be priced. The U.S. is certainly better infrastructure wise, but so what if it has the best of everything if you can't afford it. What matters is does an area meet your needs at a reasonable price. And I guarantee you that the overwhelming number of Latinos aren't squatting miserably in mudhuts with no electricity or running water.