Drivers getting disqualified

bbsam

Staff member
Actually headed to Peru. Can rent a decent apartment for $150 a month, DirecTV for $50 a month, mild year round temps, a week's worth of fruit and vegetables for $10. I'll have a fixed pension of $1100 a month before taxes and can get by there for less than $700. Can't do that in the States. Oh, will have Internet, a Kindle for reading, and there's a new 8 screen Cinemark near where I'll live that plays the latest movies in English with Spanish subtitles. Most Americans have been conditioned to believe certain things about Latin America. Fact is that they've progressed and moved on, and have different perspectives on how things should be priced. The U.S. is certainly better infrastructure wise, but so what if it has the best of everything if you can't afford it. What matters is does an area meet your needs at a reasonable price. And I guarantee you that the overwhelming number of Latinos aren't squatting miserably in mudhuts with no electricity or running water.

I guarantee you will enjoy the luxuries that an exploitive Peruvian government can wring from it's populace. Enjoy your ivory tower.

vantexan

I guarantee you will enjoy the luxuries that an exploitive Peruvian government can wring from it's populace. Enjoy your ivory tower.

You need to catch up. Peru's president is a Harvard trained economist who's instituted reforms and is very popular. Peru's currency has strengthened against the Dollar and it enjoys an improved economy. And Peru's cuisine is recognized as the best in South America. Lot's of reasons to be there. It's not perfect by a long shot, but then there's plenty of poverty in the U.S. too. There's a town, Huanchaco, on the coast that's popular with surfers and backpackers. Due to the Humboldt Current that runs up the coast from Antartica the climate is mild with highs in 60's and 70's year-round and record low of 52. Alot of cheap rentals and restaurants there, everything is walkable, excellent transport to the nearby city of Trujillo. And safe. Can fly cheaply to Lima on Spirit Airlines. Hate to tell you this, but there are already plenty of Americans living in Peru, and millions of Americans live outside the U.S.. Vast majority of them are doing fine. And most aren't living like kings but are getting by fine. If you want to stay here and play the game more power to you. All that striving keeps the Dollar stronger than most currencies. And if it weakens further I'll just move to places I know where I can get by on less than $500 a month. But then Social Security will kick in and I'll be fine. I don't need a mansion, a sports car, a yacht, a daily round of golf, or a 60" tv to validate my life.

bbsam

Staff member
Funny the management in our building call us Independent Contractors and The Contractor tries to classify us as day labor.

We've agreed on many occasions that your building is FUBAR'ed. Doesn't mean it's all true though. They could call you pustulating anal warts, but it wouldn't make it fact.

bbsam

Staff member
You need to catch up. Peru's president is a Harvard trained economist who's instituted reforms and is very popular. Peru's currency has strengthened against the Dollar and it enjoys an improved economy. And Peru's cuisine is recognized as the best in South America. Lot's of reasons to be there. It's not perfect by a long shot, but then there's plenty of poverty in the U.S. too. There's a town, Huanchaco, on the coast that's popular with surfers and backpackers. Due to the Humboldt Current that runs up the coast from Antartica the climate is mild with highs in 60's and 70's year-round and record low of 52. Alot of cheap rentals and restaurants there, everything is walkable, excellent transport to the nearby city of Trujillo. And safe. Can fly cheaply to Lima on Spirit Airlines. Hate to tell you this, but there are already plenty of Americans living in Peru, and millions of Americans live outside the U.S.. Vast majority of them are doing fine. And most aren't living like kings but are getting by fine. If you want to stay here and play the game more power to you. All that striving keeps the Dollar stronger than most currencies. And if it weakens further I'll just move to places I know where I can get by on less than $500 a month. But then Social Security will kick in and I'll be fine. I don't need a mansion, a sports car, a yacht, a daily round of golf, or a 60" tv to validate my life.

So Peru is less exploitive than Fedex. But the buying power of the dollar in Peru is far greater than here in the US. Possible. But I doubt it. Look for it and I bet it shows up quickly. Last I checked, Chavez in Brazil was very popular also. Doesn't mean he's not a whack-job though. I think Baby-Doc Duvalier was also Harvard trained. And what does "validate my life" mean, anyway?

vantexan

So Peru is less exploitive than Fedex. But the buying power of the dollar in Peru is far greater than here in the US. Possible. But I doubt it. Look for it and I bet it shows up quickly. Last I checked, Chavez in Brazil was very popular also. Doesn't mean he's not a whack-job though. I think Baby-Doc Duvalier was also Harvard trained. And what does "validate my life" mean, anyway?

Chavez is in Venezuela. FREEEEDOMMMMM!!!

vantexan

True dat. My bad. Concept still rings true.

But it's just your opinion. There are expat forums all over the Internet. People living in these places discussing the good, the bad, the ugly. There are plenty of countries that I'd never consider for various reasons, but between Latin America and Southeast Asia there are more than a dozen that would work well for me. And I don't really get hung up on countries but look for livable cities. There are huge expat communities in
Mexico, Costa Rica, and Panama with Ecuador getting popular. Unfortunately popular expat places tend to be more expensive, but even there a retiree can save 20-30% over a comparable lifestyle in the States. If you refuse to believe it more power to you, but I feel sorry for anyone who gets locked into the belief that the U.S. is the only place worth living in with the possible exception of Europe, Canada, and a few others. Did you know that the world's largest Social Security office outside the U.S. is attached to the American embassy in Manila, The Philippines? Alot of Americans living there with Filipina wives and children. There are Yahoo Groups about living in the Philippines with over 20,000 members. You may have plenty going your way and would never consider these options, but for someone like me who's getting old and won't have much then living overseas is absolutely the best option out there unless I want to work the rest of my life. So good luck with it all, I'll take my chances in Peru.

bbsam

Staff member
I have absolutely nothing against any of that. I just think that to rail against people being exploited in the US and to think the same doesn't happen world-wide is ludicrous. And I am certain there are wonderful places to retire to that are relatively cheap and rewarding. But somebody pays for it. We are America. We exploit. And then we cover it up with phrases like "standard of living" and "quality of life" and "American exceptionalism".

vantexan

I have absolutely nothing against any of that. I just think that to rail against people being exploited in the US and to think the same doesn't happen world-wide is ludicrous. And I am certain there are wonderful places to retire to that are relatively cheap and rewarding. But somebody pays for it. We are America. We exploit. And then we cover it up with phrases like "standard of living" and "quality of life" and "American exceptionalism".

But I never said there's no exploitation outside the U.S.. It's very difficult to make a decent living in third world countries. Even very successful ones like Chile. But I'd rather spend my money in their economies than to struggle just to get by in the first world. The difference is it takes relatively little to live ok there and the difference between first and third world isn't that great if you have enough money. And often while you may not have a million shopping choices you can enjoy spectacular scenery and fantastic climates. Imagine the California coast but affordable. San Diego's climate but affordable. And you'd be surprised how warm and friendly Americans find the locals to be in spite of not having the latest this or that. Throw your misconceptions out of the window, you've been conditioned by American media to believe the worst about these places.

HomeDelivery

van, you don't have to justify yourself to retire to that area... just go and relax when its time!

i'm glad for you that you have found something to retire to... and from what you've been listing, a nice comfortable area to boot...

FedExer267

They made it official today in my building. If your truck does not pass inspection you are diqualified for life aka fired. So we asked what if we tell the Contractor over and over but he takes his sweet ass time getting to the problem. It would be his word against our word. Basically if out truck does not pass we are gone. Atleast 15 guys today refused to drive their trucks.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
They made it official today in my building. If your truck does not pass inspection you are diqualified for life aka fired. So we asked what if we tell the Contractor over and over but he takes his sweet ass time getting to the problem. It would be his word against our word. Basically if out truck does not pass we are gone. Atleast 15 guys today refused to drive their trucks.

But it's not your truck, it's the contractor's, right? That had to be great for service level today if 15 people walked-off. Here we go again with FedEx (the corporation) squaring-off against the "independent" contractors. Looks like the drivers are firmly stuck in the middle. If contractors were truly independent, they wouldn't have to pass FedEx standards. Undoubtedly, there have been DOT inspection issues, major accidents related to mechanical condition of vehicles, or complaints by drivers about unsafe vehicles, but all of these should be completely independent of direct FedEx control since they are contractor issues. The DOT or State Police Commercial Vehicle Enforcement personnel have an issue with the owner of the trucks, not FedEx.

Also, shouldn't your contractor be the party disqualifying you and not FedEx?

Very interesting. Calling all lawyers!!

HomeDelivery

I agree with Mr. Fdx, something's fishy in your building, 267... that falls under the contractor!

one of my contractors already have a daily inspection report to be filled out every morning before leaving the terminal; takes a minute, but it covers his contract and his drivers whenever management tries to find something wrong with one of his delivery vehicles

(plus he has a technician on-call & that technician keeps his fleet of 15+ vehicles in top shape)
(and has some pull with a local rental place to hold one or two vehicles on standby)

bbsam

Staff member
There is nothing to bless. I was merely pointing out that when van accuses me of exploiting my workers, he is simply not happy with his position in this capitalistic society. But by moving to a locale where the dollar goes further and where the average standard of living is not so high, his position becomes more agreeable relative to the surrounding populace. So it's really a matter of relativity rather than morality.

LTFedExer

Putting it writing would be 1 option...

bbsam

Staff member
But it's not your truck, it's the contractor's, right? That had to be great for service level today if 15 people walked-off. Here we go again with FedEx (the corporation) squaring-off against the "independent" contractors. Looks like the drivers are firmly stuck in the middle. If contractors were truly independent, they wouldn't have to pass FedEx standards. Undoubtedly, there have been DOT inspection issues, major accidents related to mechanical condition of vehicles, or complaints by drivers about unsafe vehicles, but all of these should be completely independent of direct FedEx control since they are contractor issues. The DOT or State Police Commercial Vehicle Enforcement personnel have an issue with the owner of the trucks, not FedEx.

Also, shouldn't your contractor be the party disqualifying you and not FedEx?

Very interesting. Calling all lawyers!!

I think you have it a little wrong. It's not going to be Ground against the contractors, it's going to be higher level management purging the building. If they try to enforce this, and the legal department in Pittsburgh hears about it, look for a number of mid-level management positions to open immediately. There simply is no provision for disqualifying drivers for vehicle condition. The truck can be "dead-lined" and in that case deemed un-driveable, but that again goes to the contractor's issue. Now if the driver were to drive off in a "dead-lined" vehicle, he/she would indeed disqualify himself. Stupidly, I might add.

FedEx2000

Are Ground drivers required to fill out a vehicle inspection report before they leave, per DOT regulations? Or is it just something that is "supposed" to be done and nothing is actually filled out? If the driver is filling one out and noting the deficiencies, the liability should be off his back, and on the contractor or mechanic who signed off on it saying it was OK to drive. Assuming the issues are fairly minor and do not affect the safety of the vehicle.....otherwise it obviously should not be driven.