Drivers getting disqualified

FedExer267

At the end of the day when we punch out we come to a screen where we can either hit no defects or put in what is wrong with the truck. I remember back when I was hired I was told by Contractor to always hit no defects that it is his business and he will take care of the problem. I told him one day my tire was getting low and needed a new one he said no problem. The next day it was not fixed. I told him whats up where is my tire oh I will get to it. Then I am on route and find out he is out of town for the rest of the week. I get in that night and fill it out on the scanner, later that night he calls me at home and rips me a new one. I told him basically look my life is more important than delivering your boxes you have the responsibility of keeping your drivers safe and providing safe vehicles for them to drive.

He was upset because he had to drive back and take care of the problem. Not my problem I would of come in and refused to drive and left. At the end of the day I have a family to get home to and I should feel safe when I am on the road for this company. Contractors are notorious for the attitude what FedEx does not know will not hurt them I have heard it said by many of them but thats a pretty big risk when you have people driving your vehicles. I still do not see why drivers should be held responsible for Contractors vehicles when the majority can give a crap about you, all they want is their packages delivered. This should be 100% on them.
There are Contractors that threaten their drivers for refusing to drive and now FedEx will disqualify you if you do. Real nice.

HomeDelivery

um, find a better contractor

i had one who neglected his brakes, when I know that the rears were thinning out (the squealers and loss of the parking brake were clues)

so i went with a different contractor <shrugs>

still, it cant be the driver that's affected by this; you don't own the vehicle... should be the contractor's responsibility

HomeDelivery

Are Ground drivers required to fill out a vehicle inspection report before they leave, per DOT regulations? Or is it just something that is "supposed" to be done and nothing is actually filled out? ...

here's the answer:

At the end of the day when we punch out we come to a screen where we can either hit no defects or put in what is wrong with the truck. I remember back when I was hired I was told by Contractor to always hit no defects that it is his business and he will take care of the problem. I told him one day my tire was getting low and needed a new one he said no problem.

in addition to that, we sign a document that prints out from the previous days work; that track our on-duty and on-road hours, miles, signatures, exception codes, etc... and near the end of it has an area to note any mechanical discrepancies

I was also told by my contractor that it isn't Fedex's responsibility; it's the contractor & to notify him of anything wrong with the truck.

Better be safe than sorry! But, that's just BS that the driver can be liable for not noting it on the report or scanner...

UnconTROLLed

perfection
All of this type of neglect, safety issues, contractor misclassifications, daily harrassment/anti-union propaganda, etc should be documented collectively by x number of employees at FedEx. 5-10% or so. Then in one swooping motion after a couple years of employees collecting and recording information, one large suit should be heard and all of the facts (hundreds of thousands) will be heard to OSHA, DOT, and whatever legal avenues. That is basically the only way to help straighten things out.

LTFedExer

If a driver 'writes up' the truck as being unsafe or marginal and the contractor doesn't fix it and the FedEx disqualifies them. Do you think the driver has a lawsuit against the contractor for not fixing the truck, costing him his job?

Also, if the driver refuses to go out in the truck, would that be grounds for disqualification?

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
All of this type of neglect, safety issues, contractor misclassifications, daily harrassment/anti-union propaganda, etc should be documented collectively by x number of employees at FedEx. 5-10% or so. Then in one swooping motion after a couple years of employees collecting and recording information, one large suit should be heard and all of the facts (hundreds of thousands) will be heard to OSHA, DOT, and whatever legal avenues. That is basically the only way to help straighten things out.

That's right.

Eventually the whole company faces collapse under the weight of current and future lawsuits. FedEx has pushed the envelope (and their luck) too far for too long.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Yep, the house of cards is due for a re-shuffle.

It is, but this hunt and pick uncollective effort seems to be working nicely for Fred. He, the upper mgmt and legal team can buy out any case out there, if it's just individuals vs. him. It could literally go on for years. There needs to be an under-the-radar, collective action, to bite him in the ass and force changes.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
It is, but this hunt and pick uncollective effort seems to be working nicely for Fred. He, the upper mgmt and legal team can buy out any case out there, if it's just individuals vs. him. It could literally go on for years. There needs to be an under-the-radar, collective action, to bite him in the ass and force changes.

I fully agree, but collective action means the IBT, and they are the ones who are apparently operating under the radar. It seems to me that they aren't operating at all..."great" strategy. In the meantime, the hunt and peck of lawsuits continues, and Fred can starve-out most opponents, which has always been their legal strategy.

In the absence of the Teamsters, we need Class Action lawsuits. which are the ones that really hurt Fred. Even if he settles, it's for a big wad of cash, and he can't do that forever. Many individual cases have the potential to become Class Actions because the abuses are so widespread.

DOWNTRODDEN IN TEXAS

Get this....I went to the ER on Friday for this dang kidney stone, I still had on my uniform so the nurses and I were talking. Turns out that the head nurse's boyfriend is a feeder driver at UPS..lol She told me that they feel sorry for us! So here I am, laughing because they feel sorry for us, while I am in excruciating pain! She did get me some morphine started a bit quicker though!

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Get this....I went to the ER on Friday for this dang kidney stone, I still had on my uniform so the nurses and I were talking. Turns out that the head nurse's boyfriend is a feeder driver at UPS..lol She told me that they feel sorry for us! So here I am, laughing because they feel sorry for us, while I am in excruciating pain! She did get me some morphine started a bit quicker though!

Sorry, but you should have "anticipated" your kidney stones. Therefore, each stone is an individual preventable injury, and you will not be paid for any time you took off. If you have any questions, ask your HR rep or check P&P for Kidney Stone Policy (KSP) guidelines and watch the KSP video.

DOWNTRODDEN IN TEXAS

Sorry, but you should have "anticipated" your kidney stones. Therefore, each stone is an individual preventable injury, and you will not be paid for any time you took off. If you have any questions, ask your HR rep or check P&P for Kidney Stone Policy (KSP) guidelines and watch the KSP video.

ROFLMAO!! That must've been covered in one of those dandily informative pre-work SOS meetings that I never seem to get to attend (I'm sad, can you tell?), just like at my station, couriers no longer have to fill out an entire FAMIS timecard as long as it was entered in the PowerPad. Also, I don't know if this one is a federal or state deal, but apparently we no longer have to change VIR's at the beginning of each month now, they get filled up first.

LTFedExer

ROFLMAO!! That must've been covered in one of those dandily informative pre-work SOS meetings that I never seem to get to attend (I'm sad, can you tell?), just like at my station, couriers no longer have to fill out an entire FAMIS timecard as long as it was entered in the PowerPad. Also, I don't know if this one is a federal or state deal, but apparently we no longer have to change VIR's at the beginning of each month now, they get filled up first.
No FAMIS cards? That I'd like to see. The PM courier on March 30 used the last page in the VIR book. March 31 I got a new one and April 1 a new one was on the truck after the one I got only had 1 page used. Way to save money.

FedExer267

There is another major lawsuit coming. I would personally like to know how a company that you dont work for can get rid of you. I mean afterall it is stated on the badge we carry everyday. Managers are running around on their high horse right now because they feel like they have the power. It will be really funny to see FedEx paying out the butt in more class action lawsuits. So who runs the show?

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
There is another major lawsuit coming. I would personally like to know how a company that you dont work for can get rid of you. I mean afterall it is stated on the badge we carry everyday. Managers are running around on their high horse right now because they feel like they have the power. It will be really funny to see FedEx paying out the butt in more class action lawsuits. So who runs the show?

Your first line says it all. "How can a company you don't work for get rid of you". Exactly. And that's the reason FedEx is going to get sued again, and lose. If you are talking to attorneys, push them toward a class action suit. If you're going to hurt them, go for the jugular.

bbsam

Staff member

Don't know how you think there's a lawsuit coming. Sounds like the contractor's there are running around scared. Scared contractors don't sue. Hell, they don't push back at all.