Drones to help Package Drivers look like Feeder Drivers

clean hairy

Another scenario, Drone delivers to a remote farmhouse, one of the farm animals eats or destroys the box and the contents.
Will UPS take the position of "Sorry, we delivered your item, it is your fault for having loose animals which could destroy it" not understanding a farm has loose animals?

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
Google maps are good, but far from perfect. If the residence is under a tree canopy and was never really photographed, what happens?
Google maps is a pretty poor example of what could be used as a base. There are aviation mapping software programs out there that take terrain into account and is constantly updated. All of that can be loaded into the software. The issue though does become identifying the home, but again there are algorithms out there for that, it just comes down to refining them.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
1. How would the drone transmit a video signal? Cell service? a route I run doesn't have service half the day, I cant even get DIAD messages.
There is a radio signal from a receiver in the drone and in the package car, cell signal would involve too much lag.
2. I am guessing the route will be set up before we leave the building for what stops the drone will deliver. What about heavy rain/wind/snow? Will they be able to fly/see?
There will be limits just like with a regular aircraft.
3. 10lbs or less, so lots of envelopes or stuff that will blow away. The drone cant put a package in a door,under a mat, or even out of the weather.
There is a cage, just watch the video.

This thread blows my mind. It's a beta version. We aren't rolling this out next week.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
Another scenario, Drone delivers to a remote farmhouse, one of the farm animals eats or destroys the box and the contents.
Will UPS take the position of "Sorry, we delivered your item, it is your fault for having loose animals which could destroy it" not understanding a farm has loose animals?
How is that any different from a DR that a dog chews up in suburbia?

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
I will admit to not being the most technology savvy person around but holy hell some of these people don't understand it all.
I don't think people comprehend how fast drones are advancing. It's honestly incredible. The money getting pumped into the technology right now is absolutely mind blowing. If they could figure out how to maintain a good charge, the results would be unreal.

Johney

Eats or destroys the box??? What about the friggin drone! I'm pretty wouldn't take a whole heck of a lot to pretty much disable one. Then what? Dear God they're making money by accident now...millions of it, do they really need this crap? How much is ever going to be enough? How about this novel idea? Let's run the competition out of business and make all the cash!

Faceplanted

Frigid for once I'm with you. The amount of stupidity and "urrr durr it will never happen" mentality in this thread is disturbing. the way most people at ups use their brain shows me maybe we do get over payed.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
Frigid for once I'm with you. The amount of stupidity and "urrr durr it will never happen" mentality in this thread is disturbing. the way most people at ups use their brain shows me maybe we do get over payed.
IMG_0235.GIF

ManInBrown

Frigid someone mentioned in another thread that the end game for a M-friend shift and a T-S shift was eventually to move to a 4x10 workweek to eliminate OT. Any truth?

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Serious question how long have you been retired? 4-5 years? GPS technology has come a LONG way in that amount of time.

I've driven with the Orion tablet. For the most part it knows EXACTLY where the house is. Even in the counties we have that don't have 911 addresses even here.

By no means is it perfect tech and in the articles I've read ups admits it'll be years in the future before it's relevant but this is the closest thing to a feasible idea I've seen yet.

Actually, I use Google Maps quite a bit.

When I'm driving 150 or more miles to a dealer I never heard of in a town I never heard of, I need it.

The reason your board knows just where a house is located 100s of yards from the road is due to data mining from delivering there in the past.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Actually, I use Google Maps quite a bit.

When I'm driving 150 or more miles to a dealer I never heard of in a town I never heard of, I need it.

The reason your board knows just where a house is located 100s of yards from the road is due to data mining from delivering there in the past.
That's what we are saying through. We are talking about tech a few notches above google maps.

clean hairy

Eats or destroys the box??? What about the friggin drone! I'm pretty wouldn't take a whole heck of a lot to pretty much disable one. Then what? Dear God they're making money by accident now...millions of it, do they really need this crap? How much is ever going to be enough? How about this novel idea? Let's run the competition out of business and make all the cash!
Of course with the thinking of those in big shot central,
"WOW! our business just trplied by running the others out of business!" "Now, how many more routes can we cut?"

Dr.Brownz

I bet if they tell customers that the trade off will be that they might get there deliveries earlier in the day, they'd be fine with the drone dropping the package 10 feet from the door.

This is the first idea I've heard that makes me slightly nervous. The whole drone idea of the package leaving on the drone from some warehouse somewhere is too far fetched. This is actually realistic. I don't like this one bit

I don't see how it will be cost effective. A massive drone with tons of liability that can only deliver a 10lb package? It's a publicity stunt and will end up being used only for UPS Critical Services if anything. I doubt ground drivers will be using this anytime soon.

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
I don't see how it will be cost effective. A massive drone with tons of liability that can only deliver a 10lb package? It's a publicity stunt and will end up being used only for UPS Critical Services if anything. I doubt ground drivers will be using this anytime soon.

there are a bunch of rural/super-rural areas that i could see this working